HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 12:06 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Question What to do in Boston in February?

What to do in Boston in February?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys!
This one goes out to my Boston Forum peeps.

I have a good friend who is going to Boston to stay with another friend of hers for a week. I think it's in mid-February.
What is there to do in Boston at THAT time of year?
She loves the outdoor type of stuff.
Any interesting sites to see then?
Any kind of festivals going on then?
Are there any places/neighborhoods she should see/not see?
Safer areas vs. not-so-safe areas?
I know it'll be cold and very wintery.
Is there any place she absolutely NEEDS to visit as a "first time" visit experience?
Any good restaurants she needs to eat at?
Any kind of info would be very much appreciated.

If I find out what part of Boston she will be staying in I'll let you guys know.

Thanks, guys.

Steve

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 4:06 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Nobody?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 4:14 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Do we not have any boston people in here? :?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 4:53 PM

Ok ok we have got something....

Boston is a very exciting city all year round although it might be cold (or not depending on this wild winter in the northeast).

For shopping: Boston is a big enough city to have retained lots of major shopping destinations that are still within the city of Boston (as opposed to suburban malls).

Newbury Street is comparable to Fifth Avenue in Manhattan or Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia. Newbury Street is filled with a ton of historic buildings that are all filled with shops, restaurants, galleries, lofts, etc. There are a variety of locally owned and operated shops as well as national brands. For example Banana Republic, American Eagle, Lucky Jeans, Victorias Secret, GAP and NikeTown all have stores on Newbury Street.

Downtown Crossing is located on and around Washington Street near the Boston Common, State Capital and City Hall. The streets in this area are tiny and are filled with shops, restaurants and now hotels, condos and a movie theater. There are a lot of big name national brands at Downtown Crossing such as Macy's, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Filenes Basement, City Sports, FootLocker, Borders, Radio Shack, Staples and KaBloom. This is more of a down to earth shopping district and be sure to head to this Filenes Basement (the best one in the city and its actually in the basement). It may not look that nice but they have an awesome selection of everything and the bargains are unbelievable.

The Shops at the Prudential Center is part of the huge Prudential Center/Copley Square center that includes shops, restaurants, offices, apartments, condos, hotels and a convention center. Here you will be able to find the city's department stores which include Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue and Lord & Taylor. Within the actual mall part there are stores like Lacoste, Talbots, Express, Club Monaco and Barnes & Noble. While your here be sure to head over to the top of the Prudential Center for an amzing view of all of Boston as well as Cambridge and the south shore

I will post more on other stuff to do in Boston later (attractions, parks, sports)...right now I do have to go out though

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 6:47 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Thank you very much.
I look forward to any and all "outdoor" type stuff you can tell me.
Thanks, again.

Steve

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 3:32 AM

walk the Freedom Trail
see the USS Constitution
go the Museum of Fine Arts
go to the Isabel Stuart Gardiner museum
see a play
go to the symphony
walk around the north end and eat some fine Italian food
Go see the Stata Center near MIT by Geary - one of the weirdest buildings anywhere
Go on top of the old custom house tower if you are there at the right time and day
see a concert
see the Celtics or Bruins
Walk the Charles River Esplanade

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 4:54 AM

Some outdoors things as well as historical sites...

Freedom Trail: A 2.5 mile guided tour of the city revolutionary sites cant be missed because Boston is such a historical city. The walk starts at the Boston Common and ends at the Bunker Hill Monument

Faneuil Hall Marketplace: This was one of the first urban shopping districts in the country and today Faenial Hall is still bustling with shops, restaurants, botiques, clubs, and an amazing food court.

North End's Hanover Street: The heart of the city's little Italy is filled with Italian restaurants, bakeries and stores. This little Italy rivals those of all the big cities and features some of the best food in the city.

Museum of Science: A hands on museum for science intrested..and not intrested people...definiltly worth a visit

USS Constitution: The oldest commissioned ship in the US Navy and undefeated in battle is located in the city

Boston Public Garden/Boston Common: Walk around and bring a camera. There are great views of all of the city from these two parks in the heart of the city. There are also the famous swan tours on the lake in the park. This is a classic place for Bostonians to relax and take a walk and escape from the hustle and bustle of the city...similar to Central Park in Manhattan and Bushnell Park in downtown Hartford.

Museum of Fine Arts: The citys oldest largest and most well known art museum

Childrens Museum: A huge museum just for kids that is filled with tons of interactive activies...you wont get bored

New England Aquaurium: Located at the waterfron the aquarium features a 200,000 gallen ocean tank that is truly unbelievable.

Beacon Hill, Back Bay: Be sure to visit these neighborhoods to see the old brownstones and row houses that have all been preserved and today form some of the cities most historic, beautiful and classiest neighborhoods. So many cities tore up their historic housing but Bostn still has neigborhoods full of them

Also head over to city what makes Boston well Boston...its students. There are thousands of college students in Greater Boston from the ones at Boston University, Northeastern and Emerson in the city to those at MIT and Harvard in Cambridge to the ones at Lassell and Mount Ida in Newton for example. Harvard Square is the heart of Cambridge and is alive with shops, restaurants, cafes, bookstores that all surround the prestigous university's campus. Boston University and Northeastern occupy huge campuses near Commenwealth Ave.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 8:42 PM
bnkhjsdlgj,sdgnsdkljvfjgl

Here are a few things you can do in Boston in February:

- Wear a Peyton Manning jersey to a bar in Southie
- Eat chowder
- Freeze
- Pretend your car broke down inside the Big Dig
- Walk down Lansdowne Street with a Yankees hat on

Hope this helps.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 4:26 AM

With the weather...quite honestly this winter is going you could have extremly nice weather or a snowstorm. As a matter of fact the first major snowstorm is possible this week...at the end of January. So dont really worry about the weather...and in my opinion snow is one of the things that make northeastern cities northeaster...what is boston or NYC without snow??

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 10:26 AM
Kickin' it old school

I am doing it as hard as I can, Err.

Go Tigers, Grizzlies, Cubs, Chiefs, and Quakes

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 1:51 AM
Lets Go Mets 2009 !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
walk the Freedom Trail
see the USS Constitution
go the Museum of Fine Arts
go to the Isabel Stuart Gardiner museum
see a play
go to the symphony
walk around the north end and eat some fine Italian food
Go see the Stata Center near MIT by Geary - one of the weirdest buildings anywhere
Go on top of the old custom house tower if you are there at the right time and day
see a concert
see the Celtics or Bruins
Walk the Charles River Esplanade
Looks like you can do lotsa walking and seeing up there in February -- unless of course the city is in lockdown mode because of a bunch of neon ads for some cartoon are hung up all over the place.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 9:59 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

thanks, ctman987! Sounds good.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast