HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 2:23 AM

Great photos, thanks!

I can't imagine a development of this scale happening in Vancouver today - would have been awesome to see. Hopefully Telus comes close...

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
For those of you who know about engineering/construction - any chance that we'll see a steel frame office tower go up in town any time soon?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 6:42 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
Great photos, thanks!

I can't imagine a development of this scale happening in Vancouver today - would have been awesome to see. Hopefully Telus comes close...
the olympic village not big enough for you?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 7:31 AM

And/or convention centre was massive too.

Regarding a steel office tower. Won't oxfords telus etc all be steel? Just like the bental one was I believe. Why is it by the way only common to see steel used in commercial and not residential buildings?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 10:24 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

what about the Port Mann bridge/Hwy #1 project or the CANADA LINE? that's as big as they get IMO.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 9:20 AM

^ Ya, those projects are obviously massive as well - I just mean a mega-commercial/office project right in the middle of the city, like PC.

I seem to recall hearing that 745 Thurlow is going to be concrete, not steel - don't know about the other office towers in this round.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 7:13 PM

Pretty sure all of the office towers going up right now will be reinforced concrete.

For highrises in Vancouver, steel is more expensive as it isn't manufactured locally; only out east and overseas. The cost of steel, plus the shipping costs, and the fewer ironworkers here makes it prohibitive. There are probably other reasons too, but I'm not a construction guy.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 10:00 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Pretty well everything Phesto just said. Concrete is usually preferred period, the major advantage steel has is it could be erected quicker, but it's other downsides don't outweigh that here.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Regarding a steel office tower. Won't oxfords telus etc all be steel? Just like the bental one was I believe. Why is it by the way only common to see steel used in commercial and not residential buildings?
One of the greatest advantages of steel construction is unimpeded floorplates, as there aren't the columns and sheerwalls of concrete construction. This allows the developer to lease out more floor space and charge a premium for steel construction as it allows the tenant much more flexibility in setting up their space.

For this reason I would imagine there would be a chance Oxford would use steel due to the incredibly small floorplates on the tower. Every sq ft in that project is precious and the right conditions just might conspire to make a steel frame building feasible. that said everything jlousa and Phesto are true so the underlying factors will still be pulling the building to concrete.

I'll look into Oxford's plans and get back to you guys.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 7:11 AM

1890 – Cordova Street.
vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/archives

1890s – 500 block of West Hastings
vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/archives

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
and Lost Lagoon wasn't "lost".
Responding to old post, I know but no-one responded within 2 page ... iirc, it was "lost" when the tide was low..

How did Lost Lagoon get its name?
Pauline Johnson, a Metis woman, whose father was a First Nations chief in the East and whose mother was an English noblewoman, was very fond of the area that was then called Coal Basin. She enjoyed canoeing and always missed the Basin as it "disappeared" with low tide. She wrote a poem about it.:

So, it's actually the opposite, the lagoon is no longer ever 'lost' (not a lagoon either,)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
interesting .... must be a oil or water storage facility for sure .... probably water and maybe was used before they build the tunnel across Burrard Inlet to bring in water from the North Shore Vancouver ... ?

regardless ... INTERESTING ... and ODD.
Again, read all the pages after this old post... it's the gasometer tower. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_holder This early 50s photo was probably taken from the tower http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrain...ver_aerial.htm

Gas... The modern fuel http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/archive...ub1/A24553.jpg

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 10:16 AM

Hmm, I probably should have credited the scene (probably) taken from the gasometer tower to http://trainweb.org... which someone else posted in this thread.. The photo of the viaduct is from the Vancouver Archives, courtesy of Major Matthews most likely (matthews is in the url)... I'm sure he'd approve the wide distribution of 1930s photos via the internet (whatever that is)

trainweb.org, Leif Sorensen Collection

http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrain.../vancouver.htm

Gasometer Tower from the CPR yards.
http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrain...ancouver_3.jpg

This shot from 1959... I remember BC place under construction in the fall of '81, trains were still using tracks where Pacific... um, Expo Blvd is now http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrain...ancouver_7.jpg

Expo (Pacific) Blvd was a 2 way street in the early days of BC place, for a few years after Pacific was built on the east side, you'd still come across cars going the wrong way on Expo.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
Hmm, I probably should have credited the scene (probably) taken from the gasometer tower to http://trainweb.org... which someone else posted in this thread.. The photo of the viaduct is from the Vancouver Archives, courtesy of Major Matthews most likely (matthews is in the url)... I'm sure he'd approve the wide distribution of 1930s photos via the internet (whatever that is)

trainweb.org, Leif Sorensen Collection

http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrain.../vancouver.htm

Gasometer Tower from the CPR yards.
http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrain...ancouver_3.jpg

This shot from 1959... I remember BC place under construction in the fall of '81, trains were still using tracks where Pacific... um, Expo Blvd is now http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrain...ancouver_7.jpg

Expo (Pacific) Blvd was a 2 way street in the early days of BC place, for a few years after Pacific was built on the east side, you'd still come across cars going the wrong way on Expo.
Great photos! I haven't seen too many pics where the Sun Tower has a red roof.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 9:17 PM
Be nice.

WJ Moore's incredible, high-res, panoramic photographs from 1920s Vancouver

Just found on Reddit from poster "TheBishopsBane".

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Conga View Post
WJ Moore's incredible, high-res, panoramic photographs from 1920s Vancouver

Just found on Reddit from poster "TheBishopsBane".
Everything old is new again :

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=233

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
I have vivid memories of taking the SkyTrain and then seeing the bright light as it came out of the downtown tunnel past Burrard.

EDIT: Here's a good image circa 1986. You can really see how open it is. Just off to the left of this image you have Canada Place.
The Fine Arts cinema (north across Georgia from the parking lot, now Shangri La. How many saw "The Gods Must Be Crazy" there during its epic run? (Sorry, on 2nd though, off topic to thread... not sure how to move to a relevant thread (Historic Vancouver Photos?)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 3:04 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
(Sorry, on 2nd though, off topic to thread... not sure how to move to a relevant thread (Historic Vancouver Photos?)
Ask and you shall receive.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 8:49 PM

Quote:
The Fine Arts cinema (north across Georgia from the parking lot, now Shangri La. How many saw "The Gods Must Be Crazy" there during its epic run? (Sorry, on 2nd though, off topic to thread... not sure how to move to a relevant thread (Historic Vancouver Photos?)
You can also see the office building that sat on the Vancouver's Turn site - before it was gutted to a concrete shell for the "Newport City Club" which sat unfinished for years and years.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:26 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

The Fine Arts cinema (north across Georgia from the parking lot, now Shangri La. How many saw "The Gods Must Be Crazy" there during its epic run?
I did. How long did it play there? A couple of years? I saw lots of smaller films there, like The Man From Snowy River, The Elephant Man, The Natural, etc.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:46 AM

In the 60s my parents and I would stay at "The Downtowner", a motel at 667 Thurlow at Melville. I found this full page feature in the September 4 1954 Vancouver Sun when it opened. The site is now Sun Life, with the waterfall and below grade pond, as far as I can tell. Anyone know when the Sun Life was built? I would guess that the modern rectangular motel with its 5000 cube/day ice machine lasted no more than 20 years.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...=2753%2C765249

Also, take time to read the main story on page one of the Sept 4 1954 Sun. The obscured word is "by", not "to" . As in "Transit fares to jump to 15 cents on Tuesday"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos