HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 1:08 PM

It's shocking that the province is allowed to let this eyesore just sit there and rot. It's even more shocking that they are going to spend money putting bars on the windows. Just tear the damn thing down. It's been vacant now for years.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...46474&latest=1

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
It's shocking that the province is allowed to let this eyesore just sit there and rot. It's even more shocking that they are going to spend money putting bars on the windows. Just tear the damn thing down. It's been vacant now for years.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...46474&latest=1
I agree. They even said they have security check it a few times a week. Figure out if you are going to use the site or not, if not sell it. Great site for residential or mixed residential/commercial development.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I agree. They even said they have security check it a few times a week. Figure out if you are going to use the site or not, if not sell it. Great site for residential or mixed residential/commercial development.
It's also a great site for a new prison, with space for a future courthouse, or for a new psychiatric hospital. Any institutional use would be an improvement and probably cheaper than trying to develop the site as a residential subdivision. As long as the province saves a strip along LeMarchant Road for commercial development fronting on the sidewalk, I'll be happy.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delesseps View Post
It's also a great site for a new prison, with space for a future courthouse, or for a new psychiatric hospital. Any institutional use would be an improvement and probably cheaper than trying to develop the site as a residential subdivision. As long as the province saves a strip along LeMarchant Road for commercial development fronting on the sidewalk, I'll be happy.
Considering this piece of land is downtown, I personally wouldn't want to see it used for a prison. There would be a public uproar given the proximity to all the residential areas.

I think it was considered for a courthouse years ago (and probably still is), but I don't see anything happening with that any time soon.

I've said before that something modelled like Churchill Square would be cool here. Residential development doesn't need to necessarily take the "subdivision" model, but the fact there is a dead-end street on Pleasant st, a residential street could just be an extention of that. It is also very close to Victoria Park and downtown. Taller developments would also be cool because you would have awesome views of downtown and the narrows.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 1:22 PM

New Kilbride subdivision?

I have heard that there's a new development in planning for Kilbride. It would be between the newest one (Waterford Hills Park - Reardon construction), which is off Old Petty Harbour Road, and Densmore's Lane. There's a large field there which is the planned location.

Supposed access will be from Densmore's Lane and since I am a resident, would like to know what is planned.

I am looking for any info on this proposed development. Have scoured the city website but cannot find anything.

Does anyone have any info, drawings, etc on this development?

Thanks
Ed

Last edited by hilroy97; Jun 21, 2014 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilroy97 View Post
I have heard that there's a new development in planning for Kilbride. It would be between the newest one (Waterford Hills Park - Reardon construction), which is off Old Petty Harbour Road, and Densmore's Lane. There's a large field there which is the planned location.

Supposed access will be from Densmore's Lane and since I am a resident, would like to know what is planned.

I am looking for any info on this proposed development. Have scoured the city website but cannot find anything.

Does anyone have any info, drawings, etc on this development?

Thanks
Ed
There's a small lot for sale on the right-of-way that runs along the south end of that field. It's not really big enough for a house and septic field, but the Realtor's description mentions value "to the abutting property owners". The Realtor or current owner might have heard what's going on.

http://beta.realtor.ca/propertyDetai...rtyId=14390220

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 7:33 PM

Quote:
I wonder what will ever become of the Grace Hospital property? Private developers in any other city would be salivating at the prospects of getting their hands on such a piece of land.

I can understand the government’s reasoning of keeping it in their inventory for future use however they should try to do something in the short term to keep it from being such an eyesore. Obviously it would cost millions to demolish the structures there so I guess a few bars will be cheaper. If they don’t see a use for it for the next 5 to 10 years maybe they should flatten it and grass the place over at least.

Before the Government does anything for the long term they should hold public consultations to at least get some ideas for what would be considered a good use.

One idea floated was new law courts but I can’t see that taking up very much of that site, plus they would be more suited to downtown where all the Lawyers are.

Personally, I’d like to see a public-private partnership develop it as a mixed stage senior’s community where there would be a mix of independent living condo and apartments plus a publicly administered long term care facility.
Develop the whole site from Pleasant St to Bennett Ave with a mix of low to mid to high rise buildings in a community setting. Maybe even a row of “stately brownstones” all along LeMarchant Rd. Pinch me I think I’m dreaming…that will never happen.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post

Personally, I’d like to see a public-private partnership develop it as a mixed stage senior’s community where there would be a mix of independent living condo and apartments plus a publicly administered long term care facility.
Develop the whole site from Pleasant St to Bennett Ave with a mix of low to mid to high rise buildings in a community setting. Maybe even a row of “stately brownstones” all along LeMarchant Rd. Pinch me I think I’m dreaming…that will never happen.
Not a bad idea. Especially if St. Clare's will be there for a long time. Not sure what the long term plans for that is considering the age of it.

There is certainly a lot of potential for this site when you consider the size of it and the location.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 7:15 PM

Check this week`s council agenda: Planning & Development committee recommends a roundabout for the Blackmarsh Road realignment at Empire Ave & Captain Whelan Dr.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 7:45 PM

New Waterford Hospital

According to the Telegram, she's staying put.

Quote:
The new mental health facility that will replace the Waterford Hospital will be built on the eastern side of the current Waterford Hospital property where the administration building and community health houses are located.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 10:11 PM

Prov Gov't has issued a tender for "Buildings Demolition including Hazardous Materials Assessment and Abatement, Grace Storage Building and 249-251 Lemarchant Road".

I believe that's the building at corner of LeMarchant and Bennett Ave, and with the Fire Station next door now abandoned, that would be a lovely site for a tall development (apartments hopefully). It would have a great view of most of the city, Waterford Valley, Harbour.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 1:48 PM

It is good to see that there are plans to remove these old buildings, now the big question is what are they going to do with the large buildings.

I've always said (many pages back) that this whole area should be developed as a comprehensive "community" with a good mix of building style and uses. My fear is that it will end up chopped up into smaller parcels with zero vision...just like pretty much everything else around here.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 10:36 PM

I stayed at the Fairfield by Marriott last weekend and took some pics of the lobby

ops BF got in the shot

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 8:16 PM

Was driving by Avalon Ford today and noticed they are planning a major reno of the current building. They have a rendering of it posted on the corner of Wyatt and Kenmount. Apologies but I didn't have time to get a snap of it. But it looked nice.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 1:16 AM

Such a small detail, and not really that important. However there's a new set of traffic lights currently up (but not functioning as of this evening) on Kelsey Drive at the intersection of Kelsey and Kiawanas (?) Not sure how this will help or harm traffic on Kelsey, however at least left turns out of here will be easier

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Was driving by Avalon Ford today and noticed they are planning a major reno of the current building. They have a rendering of it posted on the corner of Wyatt and Kenmount. Apologies but I didn't have time to get a snap of it. But it looked nice.
From the Avalon Ford Website.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 3:40 PM

I noticed that last week while driving by. Time for an upgrade i guess especially with the brand new Cabot Ford down the road now opened again.

Also: I was driving by Tucker Acura on Topsail Road today and they also are planning a huge upgrade and renovation (finally). There is a billboard posted in front of Acura but I couldn't find a place to park at the time to get a decent shot. Looked nice though.

The new Infiniti dealership directly across the street from Acura is coming along too.

Surprised Lexus hasn't come to town yet. Though I am sure if you really wanted one you could probably get one throw Toyota Plaza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
From the Avalon Ford Website.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 2:33 PM

Just looked at the council agenda and there are a lot of people upset about an apartment building potentially going on Ladysmith Drive in Kenmount Terrace, surprise surprise.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Just looked at the council agenda and there are a lot of people upset about an apartment building potentially going on Ladysmith Drive in Kenmount Terrace, surprise surprise.
Council approved the rezoning, presumably because Kenmount Terrace is less posh than Clovelly Trails. The cranks who objected had the usual landowner fears: crime, lower property values, and reduced income from their own rental units. It will be good to see new, purpose-built rentals going up. I just wish the council was more consistent in its decisions to approve or reject new projects.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post

Kinda rant-ish but...

I hope housing prices and in particular traffic will continue to get worse..it's the only way people will start to accept urbanization/living in a city.

The northeast avalon is probably 75% subdivisions with a random web (if you can even call it that) of roads. I would seriously guess 50% of the vehicles on the road are pickup trucks (most with nothing in the back) .

At some point the sprawl will make it too expensive to live the suburban lifestyle for this many people. At some point TALL BUILDINGS will have to go up. Yes people, TALL BUILDINGS maybe even some as high as a whopping 8+ stories. At some point people will not want to rent an apartment unless it is near public transportation. At some point amalgamation might be a good idea at least with mount pearl/paradise.

Also another point that needs to be made...a lot of homeowners (voters) in the St. John's area have a stake in the council NOT approving apartment/condo buildings. As soon as you start putting up high density apartments/condos this will simultaneously lower basement renters demand and house purchasing demand thus lower prices. Not good if you have a $400,000 mortgage. Too bad I say...not a legitimate reason to prevent proper urbanization.

It's only a matter of time before more developers see a market for high density buildings and the council will have to start approving them.

Also I'm that believer that if you want to have more "mixed used" or "closer to amenities" areas that you can't put cart before the horse not matter how good the planning is. In other words allow/approve high density residential buildings/areas and the stores/businesses will follow. This isn't saying don't plan but mixed use is not going to happen unless the density is there.

OK finished.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's