HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 19, 2005, 9:32 PM
Meh

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more development around the river already. I can't imagine what developer wouldn't want to take part in having a property border the riverwalk. And I agree Jack, and do hope more development will come to those parking lots. The area around there is pretty quiet around the Robert E. Lee Apartments and the Milam Building. San Antonio's downtown has SO much potential. I'd love to see more projects like this one that draw more people to other parts of downtown other than just the Alamo, tower, convention center and Rivercenter Mall.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2005, 4:48 AM
James

I think it would be cool to see more retail down there, like big names, such as H-E-B, lol, but there's nothing else that comes to mind... well like box stores such as Best-Buy, but again, I guess that belongs in suburbia.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2005, 4:55 AM
BANNED

The reason there hasn't been a lot of development along the River is because other than the Riverwalk, it's just a small creek (none of the riverwalk is really a river) but once the expanison is complete, you'll see tons of developments popup downtown along the new expended Riverwalk.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2005, 4:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185
I think it would be cool to see more retail down there, like big names, such as H-E-B, lol, but there's nothing else that comes to mind... well like box stores such as Best-Buy, but again, I guess that belongs in suburbia.
I don't think the store itself or the name brand belongs in suburbia, but the big box design does.

I'd love it if thet built compact and high (2-3 levels) somewhere downtown.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2005, 5:23 AM
Houston:Considered Good

Quote:
Stores like that ussually need a population of at least 10,000 in a five mile radius to open in the area.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2005, 5:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
Quote:
Stores like that ussually need a population of at least 10,000 in a five mile radius to open in the area.
Will a population of 100,000 in a five mile radius work?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2005, 7:34 PM
JACKinBeantown

San Antonio has always had a nice downtown, and I've always thought that if for some reason I were to move back I'd want to live downtown. Now I think a lot of people will be moving there.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2005, 11:36 PM
James

I know as soon as I graduate college, get a firm steady job, my goal is to move downtown. I could fall asleep to all the noise that goes on down there, not unless its like...blairingly loud, but would still be awesome.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2005, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayTownboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
Quote:
Will a population of 100,000 in a five mile radius work?
There might be 100,000 people within a five mile radius, but much of that population, not all mind you, is low to middle class. I should know because i grew up about a mile from DT.

As for living downtown, I'm convincing my wife more and more everyday to move DT. She comes from one of these suburban is better families. The only thing keeping me from moving DT is that we only make about 55,000 a year right now which means be proabably couldn't afford a condo, but after I graduate and get a job there shouldn't be a problem. Good thing is though we could probably rent something in Southtown for now. I was lookin at the new townhomes by the bluestar.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2005, 5:35 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Nice!!! This is going to look so sweet along the Paseo del Rio.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2005, 5:26 AM

I was downtown today and noticed that the BankOne sign on top of the bank one building has already been removed, I guess they are preparing it for renovation. I'm kind of sad to see it go, it's been there all my life. However, i heard that they were going to redo the thermometer up there, like the way it used to be.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2005, 5:09 PM

S.A forumers when is this puppy scheduled to be completed?

Hyatt San Antonio Convention Center Hotel
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2005, 7:03 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2005, 8:09 PM
James

and you didn't know that because?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2005, 10:11 PM

Honestly I didn't.I knew it was going to take a couple years. This will dramtically change San Antonio's skyline.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2005, 4:35 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

I drove by the other day, and they had a portable crane out there, so its getting goin, Ill take pictures once there is a dramatic change in the site. Right now, it looks as though they are doing pre-excavation surveying and staking. They also had racks of iron piping out there. I would think that actual digging should begin within the next couple of weeks.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2005, 8:06 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi
I was downtown today and noticed that the BankOne sign on top of the bank one building has already been removed, I guess they are preparing it for renovation. I'm kind of sad to see it go, it's been there all my life. However, i heard that they were going to redo the thermometer up there, like the way it used to be.
Could this be a result of the BankOne-Chase merger? Will Chase hold onto this tower?... all BAnkOnes that remain after the merge is complete will become Chase.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2005, 8:40 PM

Actually, The Bank One building was bought by a developer along with the aztec theater across the street, both the theater and the building are being renovated. however, the building is going to be transformed into a hotel. bank one will continue to have a branch there but on the bottom floor (thats what i heard), but all of the office space will be converted.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2005, 4:43 AM
Meh

Quote:
That also changes the profile of the building greatly. That sign was 63 feet tall, taking the overall height of the building to 341 feet tall.

I'm sad to see it go as well. I remember seeing the sign for the first time and being shocked at how large it was.

And on the convention center hotel construction time table. Typically buildings that are over say 300 feet tall take around 2 years to complete. Of course this depends on their footprint size ultimately. Anything below 200 feet generally only takes around a year or so. Buildings up around 1,000 feet usually take 3 to 4 years to complete.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Sep 26, 2005 at 4:49 AM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2005, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas
Quote:
That also changes the profile of the building greatly. That sign was 63 feet tall, taking the overall height of the building to 341 feet tall.

I'm sad to see it go as well. I remember seeing the sign for the first time and being shocked at how large it was.

And on the convention center hotel construction time table. Typically buildings that are over say 300 feet tall take around 2 years to complete. Of course this depends on their footprint size ultimately. Anything below 200 feet generally only takes around a year or so. Buildings up around 1,000 feet usually take 3 to 4 years to complete.
Actually, only the lettering was removed, the big blue sign is still there, i think that they just are going to change the name on the sign. I would rather have it say Bank One than a hotel name.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations