HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 6:20 PM

New sidewalk taking shape (after they tore down the nice trees):

photo by me taken Jul 18.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
The Metro on King St. W at Paradise (behind Westdale HS) is open 24 hours.
I had some crackhead cashier go apeshit on me here around midnight when my credit signature wasn't good enough for him. The manager gave me a bunch of free shit. I'm not sure if he still works there but I'm not willing to find out.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 7:12 PM

LIUNA Local 837 has just announced that it will be turning the keys to the Lister Block over to the City of Hamilton as of August 1.

FRom the press release:

LIUNA is thrilled that the completion of the historic site and beacon for revitalization in Hamilton's Downtown is near," said Joseph S. Mancinelli, LIUNA International Vice President and President of Local 837.

"It is the realization of many years of effort, commitment and dedication to the project and to the community," he added.

Last edited by thistleclub; Jul 27, 2011 at 2:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
LIUNA Local 837 has just announced that it will be turning the keys to the Lister Block over to the City of Hamilton as of August 1.
Good to hear, well ahead of schedule from what I understand. I have also heard from a reliable source that it is indeed community services department moving into the building.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 10:23 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

What about the promised retail? Does anyone know what will be moving into that space.

And what about Phase 2? The proposed tower at the back? Or was that BS?

I've never like this Lister deal from the beginning.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
What about the promised retail? Does anyone know what will be moving into that space.

And what about Phase 2? The proposed tower at the back? Or was that BS?

I've never like this Lister deal from the beginning.
Looks like Phase 2 will be the (Thomas?) Bldg to Lister's north.
Retail will be Tourism Hamilton and possibly a coffee shop.

It's a shot deal, RealCity. If Hamilton was serious about using the Lister as a Core-rejuvenator, it would have developed it as Grocery Store on first (2?) floors, loft/condos on top.

Instead we're going to get Welfare offices above a 9-5 Coffee Chain n over-sized tourism office.
Ps: my suggestions to Tourism Hamilton to have part of the main floor as a Hamilton History Museum have been continuously ignored so don't expect much besides some brochures and booklets. Like the lobby of a Holiday Inn on steroids.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 10:26 PM

The second phase was originally to have been two towers of seniors' housing. I think they later stepped it down it to one tower. I don't know what role the Thomas Building played in the game plan.

The Lister's square footage is apparently 65,000, which I would imagine to be 11K a plate except for the street level, which would be 10K. It might be a slightly different configuration, I'll allow. In any event I hope TH doesn't take any more than the bare minimum. Seems like a vanity move more than anything. There's 2500 sq ft next to the courthouse going for $1 a square foot; the Lister's going rate is, I think, something like 25 times that. If they took over a third of the ground floor they'd be burning $1 million a year in rent.

On a quasi-related note, Burlington has a really novel idea when it comes to business development: They've got Tourism Burlington, Burlington Economic Development, the Burlington Chamber of Commerce and the Burlington Downtown Business Association all hived at one address that's a block from City Hall.

From the horse's mouth:

"Burlington has brought the major city economic development organizations together under one umbrella to create a team that is focused on the creation of a progressive and dynamic city with a unique approach for business development services. Called “Team Burlington”, partners include the City of Burlington, Burlington Chamber of Commerce, Burlington Economic Development Corporation, Burlington Downtown Business Association, Tourism Burlington, Aldershot Business Community and Burlington Hydro.

The goal of Team Burlington is to maximize the effectiveness of economic growth initiatives within the community by projecting one clear, consistent image. Since its inception in 2001, Team Burlington has undertaken a number of successful initiatives, including developing a common brand image that captures the characteristics of what Burlington has to offer, launching and privatizing of a Burlington magazine called INBurlington and in 2003 moving five of the partners into one location at 414 Locust St. Although all six members of the team have distinct mandates and achievements the Team Burlington model has received recognition across the province. The synergy of this partnership continues to stimulate business revitalization and growth. Team Burlington partners are committed to continuing to work together to better serve the community."

Team Burlington Case Study [PDF]

Last edited by thistleclub; Aug 23, 2011 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
On a quasi-related note, Burlington has a really novel idea when it comes to business development: They've got Tourism Burlington, Burlington Economic Development, the Burlington Chamber of Commerce and the Burlington Downtown Business Association all hived at one address that's a block from City Hall.
Weird. Burlington also has new-build condo towers in their core.
Funny how things happen when common sense prevails, eh?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 12:29 PM

Small/Random Update

They have planted several more trees to replace the ones cut down a couple weeks ago.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 6:25 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

So there basically will be no real retail or any reason to walk through Lister's mall. And it will be closed at 430. And Phase 2 always was bull crap.

And I guess that means the retail space Toursim Hamilton occupies at Pigott is not going to be kept. Public Health offices currenly in Right House will move to Lister, pretty much making the Right House 90% vacant. It will probably be that Right House Tims that moves to Lister. Effectively putting the 'closed' sign on Right House. All we're achieving is a shell game of moving this and that there. For that we pay triple the going rate of office space for 20 years.

I think Tourism Hamilton should go the way HECFI did.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 12:02 PM

^ That's exacly what's going to happen to Right House.
I hate when everyone keeps saying Lister is going to have a positive economical impact on the Core; IT WON'T!
It's been a positive economic impact on LIUNA!

Anyway, just noticed, it looks like they're adding a 'bump-out' sidewalk along King William @ James. Ugh - I HATE bump-outs!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 9:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

http://www.thespec.com/opinion/edito...ign-of-renewal

On Thursday, invited guests and media will get a look inside the freshly renovated Lister Building on James Street North.

Next week, LIUNA will officially turn the property over to the city of Hamilton as the final stages of the tortuous and protracted struggle to save Lister play out.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
http://www.thespec.com/opinion/edito...ign-of-renewal

On Thursday, invited guests and media will get a look inside the freshly renovated Lister Building on James Street North.

Next week, LIUNA will officially turn the property over to the city of Hamilton as the final stages of the tortuous and protracted struggle to save Lister play out.
About time! I'm still waiting on the promised public tour.. promised for Open Doors in May!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:21 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:22 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's official Tim Hortons is locating to the Lister Block.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
It's official Tim Hortons is locating to the Lister Block.
As per who, Steeltown? Ppl at the media event today didn't even know.
And 'locating' or 'relocating'? And I'm sure it'll include a Coldstones.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 6:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

Dunno during the tour they said the corner retail section, James/King William is where Tim Hortons will go. It's big so I would assume it'll include the ice cream and plenty of tables.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 8:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

Sorry got TH mixed up. Tourism Hamilton is going to James/King William.

Also reaffirmed Community Service is indeed locating to the Lister Block.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 11:21 PM

LOL. Opening a Tims/Coldstones at Lister Block would be a magnet for Delta Bingo regulars and possibly be the coup de grace for the Right House. Presumably they would complete the holy trinity of downtown retail by luring Money Mart and Subway out of the CBD with their prestige address. And the creamy terra cotta columns will be a wonderful foil for their signage, no doubt.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton