HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 5:08 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Waterfront Place? Bleh. Buncher just has the worst taste.
I know. Worst name. Wtf?

In my head, Pittsburgh is this super unique and fascinating city that is just as valid as Prague or some other amazing city in Europe and then idiots like Buncher have to dumb it down with the most generic architecture and names to the cheapest drivel possible.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
- My building is surrounded by no less than three parking lots and even a parking garage. There are way too many open lots in Mt Wash, even on Grandview! What gives?
Land banking? I mean, it's rife up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
A more limited question is what it would take to turn that one corner of Mt Washington into a more desirable place to visit, and possibly stay in a hotel. That's the sort of question I was addressing, and I do see a lot of potential for improvement.
It sort of cuts both ways though. That area of Mount Washington probably has higher residential density than the norm, but it's not high enough to kick Shiloh into high gear. Even the hotel and apartments would only help at the margins. You'd probably need North Oakland type densities to have a real impact just from local walkers, which would necessitate clearing out most of the nearby housing for apartments. And it doesn't appear there is much demand for this.

At the same time, making it a destination people commute to is problematic. The road access to the rest of the city isn't great. Nor is the transit, unless you're coming from Downtown. It also goes without saying that while a garage might not hurt, expansion of surface parking around there would only make things worse.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It sort of cuts both ways though. That area of Mount Washington probably has higher residential density than the norm, but it's not high enough to kick Shiloh into high gear. Even the hotel and apartments would only help at the margins.
So I am thinking it could draw on people living in the new apartments (and possibly a new hotel) coming to eastern Station Square as well.

But most importantly--there are a ton of people who visit the Incline/Grandview already. If more of them could be enticed to linger and visit the commercial district, I think that could make a very big difference.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 6:43 PM
World Class City

Quote:
Mt Washington will never be a 5 star neighborhood. It's mostly filled with midde to lower class housing and has almost no business district to rehab. I work on Mt Washington and walk around it and frankly, i'm not too impressed.
Appreciate your support of the community! Mt Washington's biggest downfall is GREED. Everyone thinks that their properties are worth soooo much money because of the view and as a result few are willing to pay the high price tag on top of the large amount of capital needed to invest. Therefore projects rarely pencil out and the neighborhood stays in limbo waiting for someone to see the value enough to roll the dice and pay the price.

I think we all can agree the view has value and the neighborhood can certainly use a boost. Shiloh street is an amazing opportunity to be a quaint shopping and restaurant district off of one of the city's most prized tourist attractions. A survey done in 2009 identified that out of 1000 people surveyed that only 39% of Shiloh Street's business were residents of Mt Washington. The other 61% were tourists and pittsburgh area residents from the burbs. However, no one beyond the ice cream and coffee shop and the Shiloh Grill and the Summit have figured this out.

The MWCDC has completed construction documents for a Shiloh streetscape that will successfully unite Grandview Avenue and the business district with a grand intersection / landscaping / lighting etc. that will only increase Grandview Ave tourism traffic into the community. This in concert with a large scale project at the proposed hotel site could be the boost this neighborhood needs.

IMO its Pittsburgh's ocean view that should be alive with high rises, hotels, and condos. The more our skyline improves with quality world class architecture the view will be even more coveted.

Last edited by East Edge; Jan 20, 2015 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 7:07 PM
World Class City

Speaking of Mt Washington, The Lofts of Mount Washington are now leasing and filling up fast:

Cipriani Studios developments are selling out: http://www.ciprianistudios.com

The Perch at Bailey Park is also starting construction this year: http://www.ciprianistudios.com/projects/

Altius killed it with their renovation of the former Georgetowne Inn.

Emerald View Park opens up new trail segments every year and links to developments such as the Woods and Sweetbriar Village

Lets not forget about the charm and character of Chatham Village as well also linked to the trail.

Just a sample of of the neighborhood that the almighty Austinlee doesnt find so impressive before you all drink his Kool-Aid and rule it out.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 7:22 PM

I really like the renovation/conversion of the Prospect School--very thoughtful.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 7:35 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Edge View Post
Speaking of Mt Washington, The Lofts of Mount Washington are now leasing and filling up fast:

The Perch at Bailey Park is also starting construction this year: http://www.ciprianistudios.com/projects/

Emerald View Park opens up new trail segments every year and links to developments such as the Woods and Sweetbriar Village

Lets not forget about the charm and character of Chatham Village as well also linked to the trail.

Just a sample of of the neighborhood that the almighty Austinlee doesnt find so impressive before you all drink his Kool-Aid and rule it out.
As a leasing agent, I won't tell you some of the comments I have gotten on the neighborhood from out of staters. Sorry to ruin your utopian view.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 8:41 PM

Quote:

Altius looks beautiful. The interior is top notch. I missed the $35.15 multi course dinner special during restaurant week. The brunch look amazing for the price. I am still trying to figure out what whipped goose pate is though.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 9:57 PM

Quote:
As a leasing agent, I won't tell you some of the comments I have gotten on the neighborhood from out of staters. Sorry to ruin your utopian view.
But if they are leasing out, it means there is a market, even if it is not for everyone.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 10:15 PM
World Class City

Quote:
You just keep looking north out of your windows and criticize Austin rather than use your real estate leasing expertise, knowledge and resources to get involved and do something to address the challenges you and your clients identified south of you.

Mount Washington is home to one of the largest concentrations of those earning over $200k in the region. Sadly most of them are just like you and choose to complain rather than combine their resources and donate towards neighborhood initiatives and improve the things you're dissatisfied with.

Let the non profit and low / middle income residents beg for scraps and volunteer to keep the rest of the neighborhood afloat instead of walking your rich ass 2 blocks to the community group office to say hello and make yourself useful.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 10:22 PM

Wasn't there a plan - perhaps in the old thread - to turn Shiloh into pedestrian-only? Not sure if that's feasible or if it'd even make any difference on drawing tourists from Grandview.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 10:46 PM
World Class City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan Werner View Post
Wasn't there a plan - perhaps in the old thread - to turn Shiloh into pedestrian-only? Not sure if that's feasible or if it'd even make any difference on drawing tourists from Grandview.
Actually, history has shown that pedestrian only main streets are the kiss of death for a business district. It was popular back in the 60's and led to the demise of many of them. I believe there are only a handful left in the us. People are just too lazy to walk from their cars to a business. Grandview is different though since a lot of people are out walking anyway. The streets cape will be much more enticing and encourage both vehicular and pedestrian traffic. There will also be a pilot project in conjunction with Molly's Trollies this warm season that will transport tourists from one incline to the other as well as to a few key points of interest in the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 11:25 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Case in point, downtown Cumberland, MD. That entire downtown is dead because they blocked off the streets and made them pedestrian only. That only works in a few places in the US, like Times Square and the like.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
Case in point, downtown Cumberland, MD. That entire downtown is dead because they blocked off the streets and made them pedestrian only.
However, it does make it easier for the police to locate the out of town DUI'ers.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 11:57 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

I see Mt. Washington as I seen The strip or the east neighborhoods. A LOT of potential. Is there work to be done? Hell Yes. But over time I believe as the landscape changes in Pittsburgh as it already is with new housing, hotels, shops, and all kinds of new infrastructure so will Grandview. Everyone is clamoring for a piece of the development pie. And that hill is largely untapped....for now. Stay Tuned.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 12:26 AM
Ex Houstonian

What Pittsburgh needs above all else is good paying jobs, and not just stuff like Google. Actually, this whole country needs better paying jobs. I make jack shit and have a college degree and work at a fortune 500 company in their labs. This job 10 years ago paid starting out 18 bucks an hour and was a union job; 10 years later, it pays 13 and is through a temp agency with no vacation. If Pittsburgh and this country wants to better its cities, then jobs need to pay way more. These giant companies are making record profits, yet they pay their workers next to nothing. Cities cant improve on a large scale unless theres a solid middle class.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 1:28 AM

Post deleted by author.
After giving it some thought, what I posted doesn't belong on this forum.

Last edited by chiaroscuro; Jan 21, 2015 at 2:02 AM. Reason: Second thoughts.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 3:02 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
You just keep looking north out of your windows and criticize Austin rather than use your real estate leasing expertise, knowledge and resources to get involved and do something to address the challenges you and your clients identified south of you.

Mount Washington is home to one of the largest concentrations of those earning over $200k in the region. Sadly most of them are just like you and choose to complain rather than combine their resources and donate towards neighborhood initiatives and improve the things you're dissatisfied with.

Let the non profit and low / middle income residents beg for scraps and volunteer to keep the rest of the neighborhood afloat instead of walking your rich ass 2 blocks to the community group office to say hello and make yourself useful.
You've been a member of this thread for over two years yet one of the only times you have ever chosen to comment is on my OPINION of Mt Washington.

And it is not my job to turn around all of Pittsburgh's 89 neighborhoods plus another 120+ municipalities in Allegheny County.
I have dealt with quite a few lease signings of new people to our area at my office in the Trimont and I have nothing but good things to say about this area. I recently walked a family from Lagos, Nigeria along Mt Washington and told them the history of Pittsburgh to their delight.

Let's move on with discussion now. I will choose my words more wisely. I don't have anything against any neighborhoods in Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 3:28 AM

I think several posters here, especially Photolith, will agree with what is written at this link...

http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/...s/201501170024

A small sample of the author's point...

Quote:
First Person: Young People in Pittsburgh Care About Old Buildings
By Melanie Linn Gutowski

It wasn’t my generation that bulldozed turn-of-the-20th-century parts of the Hill District and East Liberty in the 1960s in the name of misguided “urban renewal.”

It wasn’t my generation that demolished Pittsburgh’s Chinatown in order to build the Boulevard of the Allies.

It wasn’t my generation that tore down Forbes Field and Oakland’s Syria Mosque to construct unremarkable infrastructure for the University of Pittsburgh and its subsidiaries.

In each of these examples, it wasn’t the young people of previous generations doing the damage, either. It was almost always an older person at the helm of a company or government organization with deep pockets.

Most of the young people I know embrace older buildings, mainly because the areas where they can afford to live are full of historic structures that need repairs. And that have character

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 3:47 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
What Pittsburgh needs above all else is good paying jobs, and not just stuff like Google. Actually, this whole country needs better paying jobs. I make jack shit and have a college degree and work at a fortune 500 company in their labs. This job 10 years ago paid starting out 18 bucks an hour and was a union job; 10 years later, it pays 13 and is through a temp agency with no vacation. If Pittsburgh and this country wants to better its cities, then jobs need to pay way more. These giant companies are making record profits, yet they pay their workers next to nothing. Cities cant improve on a large scale unless theres a solid middle class.
Especially in urban planning and GIS! And... employers need to get off of this infatuation with senior-level employees! You know why so many people keep hiring senior level work instead of biting the bullet and going with someone with just a college degree? Yeah, we all know people would rather higher for experience rather than train, but I think there is also a bit of a revolving door. Who the hell wants to work for 10 years only to take another job that pays half of what they're making, or isn't a job that's challenging enough?

I think that's an issue with my field. Jobs are there, but nobody wants to hire entry-level work. So, you have 400 applicants duking it out for these jobs, only to have several end up employed elsewhere trying to make something of their lives. That's what I am today. I'm 31 and still fighting my way toward something I went to college for and I'm still paying for...

I'm trying to convince myself that I'm not pursuing a field that doesn't want me...

That aside, I would love to see Mt. Washington become the next Lawrenceville. I think what would have to happen is for Grandview to become more commercial. Isn't one end of that more commercial already? I'm thinking of the area around Monterey Bay and the La Mont restaurants, both of which are very high-end. IIRC, they're pretty close to the Duquesne Incline. Come to think of it, that's a pretty long corridor to commercialize tho...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations