HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 8:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
isn't the connaught condos? How are students affording that?
If their parents can pay $25K annual tuition they can afford $2K monthly rent.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 8:45 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
If their parents can pay $25K annual tuition they can afford $2K monthly rent.
lol richie rich kids

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 1:25 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
isn't the connaught condos? How are students affording that?
Probably parents buying it for them. With the price of rents in this city the parents are probably thinking: "I could mortgage a condo and create an investment for the cost of this" and doing so.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 2:36 AM

there has definitely been a noticeable increase in pedestrian traffic in the areas around RC and William Thomas residence . I love it !!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootaround View Post
Probably parents buying it for them. With the price of rents in this city the parents are probably thinking: "I could mortgage a condo and create an investment for the cost of this" and doing so.
It's a mix of the students either buying or renting condos at RC. More of them renting though.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:37 AM

Vintage Hamilton Facebook page

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:55 AM
Hamilton Historian

I'm starting to wonder if the 2/3s they had to recarve are actually finished yet, since they are only putting up the parts that weren't sheared off so far..

also they appear to have spilled something onto the facade? You can see it dripping down the brick between the 2 windows..

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:29 PM

I would guess they'll give it a bit of a cleaning once it's up. Far from an expert but cleaning limestone (especially if it's old) is tricky due to its porosity and softness. Perhaps they've decided to just leave it be or maybe they'll give it a good dry scrubbing...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 1:39 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I would guess they'll give it a bit of a cleaning once it's up. Far from an expert but cleaning limestone (especially if it's old) is tricky due to its porosity and softness. Perhaps they've decided to just leave it be or maybe they'll give it a good dry scrubbing...
perhaps they are going to clean it once it's up, because whenever was spilled onto it appears to have made it as light as the new stone pieces they put up on the right.. I am interested to see how this develops. This is the only ancient stone facade construction I have ever seen be put up in hamilton.. ever.. possibly since they actually built buildings with stone facades in the mid 1900s..

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
perhaps they are going to clean it once it's up, because whenever was spilled onto it appears to have made it as light as the new stone pieces they put up on the right.. I am interested to see how this develops. This is the only ancient stone facade construction I have ever seen be put up in hamilton.. ever.. possibly since they actually built buildings with stone facades in the mid 1900s..
They probably won't clean it until it's back up.

With the surrounding dust, there's no point in doing a major cleaning on it at the moment..

Last edited by hamilton23; Oct 26, 2017 at 7:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 9:18 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
They probably won't clean it until it's back up.

With the surrounding dust, there's no point in doing a major cleaning on it at the moment..
I figured you of all people might know since I believe it's your uncle that is working on this project?

and yeah that's true. I wonder if it's actually possible to get it all clean enough to look new.. I know they did amazing things with the brick building on james closer to king.. I think they add baking soda to the solution or something and then spray it?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 9:40 PM

Quote:
I figured you of all people might know since I believe it's your uncle that is working on this project?

and yeah that's true. I wonder if it's actually possible to get it all clean enough to look new.. I know they did amazing things with the brick building on james closer to king.. I think they add baking soda to the solution or something and then spray it?
I'm sure they will do a good job at making sure it's clean at the end.

If you look at the existing brick on the RC, it was cleaned pretty nicely as well. Not to bring this back to the RC, i'm just comparing.

It does take a lot of time because you have to be super patient and delicate when working with such old materials.

I have no doubt that they'll take the care in doing this though.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 9:42 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
I'm sure they will do a good job at making sure it's clean at the end.

If you look at the existing brick on the RC, it was cleaned pretty nicely as well. Not to bring this back to the RC, i'm just comparing.

It does take a lot of time because you have to be super patient and delicate when working with such old materials.

I have no doubt that they'll take the care in doing this though.
oh yeah I love what they did with the stone restoration on the RC! I wish someone would just go around the city and do that to all the old stone facades to just give them a good cleaning

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 9:49 PM

Quote:
oh yeah I love what they did with the stone restoration on the RC! I wish someone would just go around the city and do that to all the old stone facades to just give them a good cleaning
Thanks!

They'll get it done here, i'm sure.

The issue with it getting done on every older building around the city is, cost and the lack of subcontractors who can do this type of work without causing damage.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 9:53 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Thanks!

They'll get it done here, i'm sure.

The issue with it getting done on every older building around the city is, cost and the lack of subcontractors who can do this type of work without causing damage.
yeah for sure.

The city should have some sort of "building maintenance" cost they can offer to heritage buildings to keep them maintained.

Heck I'd even just be happy to see all the facades that are falling off or have fallen off be put back up or restored - a lot of that in the downtown core.

I know in places like niagara on the lake the building exteriors MUST be maintained since it is a heritage city.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 3:56 PM
Hamilton Historian

went by here last night and they have started putting the newly made facades up.. and lemme tell you.. it looks weeeird..

that stone is almost black in places and the new stone is glaring white, also details how eroded the existing facades are in comparison.. it's goonna be iiinteresssting to see this develops.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 4:22 PM

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 7:14 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
the colour difference is weeeird.. I hope they can clean the old stone to be somewhat light like the new stone..

I kinda do love how the pediments are white against the dark grey of the stone beside it, it'd be neat if they could replicate that all the way across. With the old stone you can barely even tell there is that stone lintel underneath the pediments..

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 8:41 PM
Hammer'd

There may not be a lot that they can do. When the Lister Block was restored, they were many terra cotta pieces of the facade that they had to replicate which didn't match well with the old at all. As the years have passed since then however, it's all starting to blend together as the "new" pieces have become dirty. Probably going to be the same case here.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 8:43 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
There may not be a lot that they can do. When the Lister Block was restored, they were many terra cotta pieces of the facade that they had to replicate which didn't match well with the old at all. As the years have passed since then however, it's all starting to blend together as the "new" pieces have become dirty. Probably going to be the same case here.
the terracotta of the lister block was nowhere near as stark as the colour difference on the william thomas, that's the only problem.

In addition this is 200 years of discolouration with the william thomas building so.. ehhh....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton