HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:06 PM

October DRC Recap

1084 Piedmont Avenue

Quote:
Freeman Partners displayed a new 7-story residential condo development with up to 29 units at a total of 42,220 SF. The lobby entrance is located on Piedmont Ave. Parking is provided via a bi-level deck with 40 spaces accessible from 12th St. Open space is found primarily on the 6th level terrace of ~3,400 SF. The DRC wondered aloud whether a building of this bulk would be appropriate on this site in that it was seeking relief in both setbacks and height. Unequivocally, the committee indicated that the 50’ height maximum, as specified in the code, would not be waived and that non-active (parking) uses would not be supported along the sidewalk level for the length of 14th St. and Piedmont Ave. Instead, the DRC encouraged the applicant to explore limited retail space that could allow for a reduction in parking minimums. Unless substantial changes were made to reduce the height and provide more active uses (whether residential or commercial), this project cannot be supported in its current form.

699 Spring Street (Spring St @ 3rd St.)

Quote:
CA Ventures previewed a student orientated residential project at the southeast corner of 3rd Street and Spring Street. The building would be 27 stories in height with 9,400 SF retail uses over two separate retail spaces accessible from Spring St. and 3rd St. A common lobby for residential access is provided along Spring St. Above grade are six (6) levels of podium parking with ~315 parking spaces topped by 19 stories with 320 units (715 beds) marketed to students.

903 Peachtree Street

Quote:
CA Ventures also proposed a new 32-story mixed-use project with market-rate residential for the southeast intersection of Peachtree St. and 8th St. known as 903 Peachtree. At grade 12,000 SF of retail uses would be accessible from Peachtree St. while a residential lobby is provided along 8th St.

There would be eight (8) levels of podium parking with ~549 parking spaces topped by 23 residential stories with 417 units. The project proposes separate loading and vehicular access from two drives along 8th St. including a small motor court. The DRC applauded the design team in their striking design and eloquent handling of the exterior design podium parking with a glass and panel system. The committee recommended that the design of the motor court and ‘back-of-house’ area be reconsidered to provide better and safer pedestrian access to both the retailers and 8th St. sidewalk including a lay-by for pick-up and drop off. Also, further details on the south and east facades are necessary due to the context of the nearby existing buildings. The applicant committed to examining these items for the next meeting in November.

https://www.midtownatl.com/about/new...2018-drc-recap

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
1084 Piedmont Avenue
Wow, this is better than I expected. I'm against the DRC on thsi one. If they wrapped the 12th & piedmont corner in retail, i'd support this project even with the height ASSUMING there's decent material used for the facade, like brick, rather than blank looking stucco. It's fitting for the area. The sun rooms are reminiscent of what you find along Piedmont south of 10th st.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Wow, this is better than I expected. I'm against the DRC on thsi one. If they wrapped the 12th & piedmont corner in retail, i'd support this project even with the height ASSUMING there's decent material used for the facade, like brick, rather than blank looking stucco. It's fitting for the area. The sun rooms are reminiscent of what you find along Piedmont south of 10th st.
You actually like that thing?
I think that its pretty bad. There is just no architectural interest whatsoever which makes it look bulky, something the committee mentioned. But regardless of the bad architecture, they are not supportive of the development because the site is zoned for a maximum height of 50 feet and the lack of active use on Piedmont. I remember when Yoo on the Park was being planned how up in arms people were about height limits adjacent to the park so I understand why they have no interest in giving a variance for its height.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:20 AM

it's very reminiscent of 1930s streamline moderne, especially with the square casement windows. it's not a super common style around atlanta but there are some historic apartments on briarcliff that look just like this. my issue is with the parking, and i'm not usually as anti-parking as a lot of people on here. but you just can't put a parking deck next to the park.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it's very reminiscent of 1930s streamline moderne, especially with the square casement windows. it's not a super common style around atlanta but there are some historic apartments on briarcliff that look just like this. my issue is with the parking, and i'm not usually as anti-parking as a lot of people on here. but you just can't put a parking deck next to the park.
I agree with the parking aspect, however, we’re putting hundreds of new spaces half a block away (on the same block) from the park on the regular with too, vireo, azure, and piedmont house. DRC hasn’t been consistent at all. There’s also ample surface parking for many existing residences already adjacent piedmont. This at least wraps it up into the development.

I do not enjoy it’s exposed parking and agree there should be an active use on the ground. I don’t agree that it has to be retail, although that would be nice.

Think I read earlier that the project hangs over the sidewalk. If that’s true, I agree it deserves an overhaul. If it does not, I think they should wall off the parking struecture, potentially reduce parking spaces, propose the materials and a better rendering of what they’re looking to build, and move forward.

I have zero issue with a 7 story building adjacent piedmont park, especially as most of it is 5 stories. The casement windows are a great touch, although I probably would have popped them out at the corners and again at the center of each facade.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 12:49 PM

I can't believe they're considering building that 903 building around Bulldogs, the strip of restaurants and TMobile. Big mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
1084 Piedmont Avenue

903 Peachtree Street

https://www.midtownatl.com/about/new...2018-drc-recap

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickH View Post
I can't believe they're considering building that 903 building around Bulldogs, the strip of restaurants and TMobile. Big mistake.
The tower will replace the strip of restaurants and T-mobile as well as the small apartment building on 8th street. Bulldogs will remain.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Why is it a mistake? Do you think it should be bigger and include Bulldogs?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
Why is it a mistake? Do you think it should be bigger and include Bulldogs?
That poster thought that the restaurants and T-Mobile were staying. Probably because Bulldogs and the building next to it are so close together. I’d like to see Bulldogs and the adjacent parking lot redeveloped, but I’m fine with the size of the building as proposed. I just hope that something of a decent height will be built between this building and Hanover eventually.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:33 AM

Does it not have balconies? That's the first modern tower I've seen without them (aside from student housing). Seems like that'd be a tough sell here. I guess we'll see.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 7:34 AM

It kinda looks like balconies at the Northwest view of the building at the fold, but that could just be the angle playing tricks on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
Does it not have balconies? That's the first modern tower I've seen without them (aside from student housing). Seems like that'd be a tough sell here. I guess we'll see.
Even the new student towers in Midtown have balconies lol.

Last edited by Ant131531; Oct 12, 2018 at 7:50 AM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:47 PM

Yeah I think it has balconies that are almost hidden, which I am a fan really like. They will be more obvious in future renderings as the design progresses.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:24 PM

Actually I don't think it has balconies...looks like based on another rendering, it's just shading/lighting.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:06 PM

120 Piedmont from Yesterday:

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:49 PM

120 Piedmont is coming out really nice! Those students will have a tough time living in a nicer place immediately after graduating.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Actually I don't think it has balconies...looks like based on another rendering, it's just shading/lighting.
I think those are or will be balconies because this firm tends to incorporate them as inconspicuously as possible in their towers. I have no doubt that this tower will have balconies.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Oct 13, 2018 at 1:34 AM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 1:52 AM

95-unit condo project planned for West Midtown

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...t-midtown.html
Quote:
An Atlanta homebuilder is eyeing a five-story condo project in West Midtown, near popular restaurants such as Chef Ford Fry’s The Optimist.

Monte Hewett Homes LLC recently filed plans in Atlanta for the approximately 95-unit project on a nearly one-acre site at 933 Watkins Street.

The project would site just south of 10th Street, near its intersection of Northside Drive. Atlanta-based TSW is the architect.

“The proposed development would replace a deteriorating single-story commercial building with a vibrant multifamily development and new streetscape around the project,” said the rezoning application.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 3:24 AM

Quote:
I think NickH's comment really means something else: All those "despicable" people Bulldog's have littering up the place.

Well, only NickH can let us know what he really meant.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
I think NickH's comment really means something else: All those "despicable" people Bulldog's have littering up the place.

Well, only NickH can let us know what he really meant.
I'm actually glad this development isn't taking the whole rest of the block. Atlanta's devlopments often take really large lots and underdevelop them in prime locations. Let Bulldog's stay and at some interesting street presence in the time being, til it's bought up and redeveloped. Then we'll have multiple buildings and variety along the street instead of a long tower podium. Most cities aren't made up of one or two buildings taking the whole block, so I'm fine if we have to wait a moment (even if there's a parking lot) while this and Hanover anchor the block's corners.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 4:27 AM

I agree that Bulldogs would be okay (even with the small surface lot) for now. Some posters were saying the lot seems too small, others think its a mistake to build 903 Peachtree apartment building in this location.

I would ask NickH, was it also a mistake to build Hanover in this location?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta