HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 3:05 PM

Another round of winter weather is waiting to hit Toronto as a write this post. Grey and cold while the word on the west coast is flowers. We need a mega skydome to hide under or better transit that works during cold alerts.

We feel sick to see images of people walking under flowering trees in the Vancouver winter while snow banks in the GTA hog parking spots. This winter has been easier and not as brutally cold as last year's so far. I hear more about frozen water mains this year. Maybe the later snowcover is to blame.

I had a question about Toronto vs Vancouver & Victoria. - Why is there more mental illness visible in the streets of Vancouver & Victoria? Toronto is big so why the smaller numbers. My guess was the availability of dope. One lady in Kingston, Ontario told me that these people freeze in Ontario. And this winter was just like last winter as in frozen homeless people. She has a point.

A resident of the GTA told me that he loved Vancouver but Toronto has lots of work for his family. Toronto's raison d'être is work. Good place for that. Palm tress and pot ignored by the police in your yard, well that's for Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ontario View Post

I had a question about Toronto vs Vancouver & Victoria. - Why is there more mental illness visible in the streets of Vancouver & Victoria? Toronto is big so why the smaller numbers. My guess was the availability of dope. One lady in Kingston, Ontario told me that these people freeze in Ontario. And this winter was just like last winter as in frozen homeless people. She has a point.

A resident of the GTA told me that he loved Vancouver but Toronto has lots of work for his family. Toronto's raison d'être is work. Good place for that. Palm tress and pot ignored by the police in your yard, well that's for Vancouver.
It's really nothing to do with the availability of pot... heroin maybe. The homeless in Vancouver are from all over the country, they move to Vancouver to avoid the cold weather. It's really more of a national problem.

Last edited by KPELLY; Mar 3, 2015 at 3:38 PM. Reason: clarity

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ontario View Post
Another round of winter weather is waiting to hit Toronto as a write this post. Grey and cold while the word on the west coast is flowers. We need a mega skydome to hide under or better transit that works during cold alerts.

We feel sick to see images of people walking under flowering trees in the Vancouver winter while snow banks in the GTA hog parking spots. This winter has been easier and not as brutally cold as last year's so far. I hear more about frozen water mains this year. Maybe the later snowcover is to blame.

In January I was in Toronto in a downtown Tim Horton's. A mentally ill man began ranting and harassing a stranger ordering a coffee. The guy being yelled at (a strapping 6 footer) wisely got his order and waited in the vestibule, and then the crazy suddenly raced out and started wailing on him. Never seen that happen in Vancouver.

And then three days later a nutter went on a random stabbing spree outside Air Canada Centre. So I'd say Toronto has just as many crazies but they're just out of sight because its so fraeking cold.

If anything arrests the return to urban living across Canada it will be the nutters on the street and the disorder they create.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 6:42 AM
See ya down under, mates

Mentally ill are very much contained to a few blocks in Vancouver. Go away from the downtown east side and the tourist areas nearby and it's not really a thing.

And as mentioned most of the homeless are not locals.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 7:48 PM

you can add that the government cut funding and shut down the facility where many of the mentally whats the pc term? ill? anyway was shut down forcing them to fend for themselves

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 4:43 AM

….

Last edited by mcminsen; Feb 9, 2016 at 11:34 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 5:48 AM

Great pic!

Be sure to post them on the Canadian section, as your pics of flowers seems to have already brought out some sour grapes from back east

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 6:49 AM

….

Last edited by mcminsen; Feb 9, 2016 at 11:33 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 7:02 AM

….

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 7:17 AM

….

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
A few from yesterday.

Feb.6 '16, my pics

thank you lovely pic. Vancouver in a nice day in Feb absolutely envy of the country

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 12:57 AM

What a roller coaster of seasons driving from Kelowna to Vancouver today. 0 degrees and sunny in Kelowna with very little snow, then cloudy with meters of snow up on two mountains passes and then blue skies, +15 degrees and green grass when descending to Lower Mainland. First day of spring in Vancouver today for sure!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos