HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 1:45 AM

Cool Port Lambton, ON (home)

Port Lambton, Ontario

Port Lambton (pop. 1000) is located on the St. Clair River just outside Wallaceburg. It's known for its relaxed atmosphere, baseball and fun-filled summers swimming and boating in the river. The surrounding area is prime agricultural land, producing a wide variety of fruits and vegetables (be sure to check out the end of this thread for some interesting agricultural photos). Robert's Landing, Michigan is directly across the river. There used to be a ferry service to Michigan, but now you have to drive 10 minutes up the river to the Sombra/Marine City crossing.

This is home for me.

Picking Cucumbers

Broccoli

Tomato fields

Corn detasseling

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:16 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Nice set! All my extended family is from SW Ontario so these landscapes are very familiar to me. We used to visit every summer, but it's been a few years since I've last been. Thanks for bringing back some memories!

Even though I've seen it many times, I'm still struck by just how blue the St. Clair looks.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:26 AM

Nice pictures! The St. Clair River reminds me a lot of the Niagara River, with the teal color and personal docks that can hold a couple chairs and the like. I'm guessing that the St. Clair Parkway is a lot like the Niagara Parkway. The beaches, like in #6 & #15, remind me a little bit of the tiny pocket beachs that you can find on the little arms of the upper Chesapeake Bay or in little crevices of the Delaware River.

I have noticed over the years, and see it in your pictures here and have seen it in other pictures, that there is a type of modern "cookie-cutter" Ontario vernacular. The concrete with the deep vertical lines, as seen in #8 & 16, seems to be everywhere in Ontario. I've noticed it for most of my life in the part of Canada that I spend time in: Fort Erie and Port Colborne. Obviously it's on the other side of the province. Yet I've never seen it across the river in New York. Do you or does anyone know anything about this small commercial building style and why it's so prevalent in Ontario but seemingly non-existant in the US? On that note, #10 is another type of small commercial building style that seems very "Ontario", but maybe not as defined as that concrete. Again, I don't see that in any instance across the border.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 2:26 PM
Eurosceptic

Port Lambton is an adorable name.

Exquisite agricultural shots. I also enjoy the photos of baseball and water recreation.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 5:13 PM
Universal Traveler

Wonderful thread, Flar!

Thank you very much for your beautiful pictures.

Port Lambton looks like a very good place to spend holidays. I´ve liked the country pictures, with rural scenes, the houses and the river. I see the landscape very green and I love it.

Congratulations and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 6:52 PM

Looks like an ideal spot to spend the weekend. Or maybe a lifetime. Relaxing, comfortable, & scenic.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 6:52 PM

Looks like idyllic small town Canada.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 7:13 PM

I always thought Hamilton was home for you . But Port Lambton looks extremely charming and quaint, even though I'd never heard of it. Those agriculture photos at the end were the best part, you've really expanded your horizons with photography. Great job!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 7:21 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Great pics! Being born in Wallaceburg, I have family in Port Lambton. My grandparents are also buried there.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 7:27 PM
Community Guy

Man I love OntariariO

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures! The St. Clair River reminds me a lot of the Niagara River, with the teal color and personal docks that can hold a couple chairs and the like. I'm guessing that the St. Clair Parkway is a lot like the Niagara Parkway. The beaches, like in #6 & #15, remind me a little bit of the tiny pocket beachs that you can find on the little arms of the upper Chesapeake Bay or in little crevices of the Delaware River.

I have noticed over the years, and see it in your pictures here and have seen it in other pictures, that there is a type of modern "cookie-cutter" Ontario vernacular. The concrete with the deep vertical lines, as seen in #8 & 16, seems to be everywhere in Ontario. I've noticed it for most of my life in the part of Canada that I spend time in: Fort Erie and Port Colborne. Obviously it's on the other side of the province. Yet I've never seen it across the river in New York. Do you or does anyone know anything about this small commercial building style and why it's so prevalent in Ontario but seemingly non-existant in the US? On that note, #10 is another type of small commercial building style that seems very "Ontario", but maybe not as defined as that concrete. Again, I don't see that in any instance across the border.
Practically all the strip malls built in the 70s and 80s have those ugly cement blocks. They always have plain cement blocks on the sides and back, with the "fancy" cement blocks on the front. Southwestern Ontario is not big on aesthetics, it's a very utilitarian place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
I always thought Hamilton was home for you . But Port Lambton looks extremely charming and quaint, even though I'd never heard of it. Those agriculture photos at the end were the best part, you've really expanded your horizons with photography. Great job!
Hamilton was home for about 6 years. I grew up in Wallaceburg, but Port Lambton is where my family is, and my in-laws too. I also lived in London, Ontario for 6 years.

I absolutely love coming back here in the summer. Summers just aren't the same in Ottawa, or even Hamilton or London.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:58 AM
zzzzzzzz

definitely looks like summer. Great stuff!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 3:15 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

I like regional snapshots like this that show the surrounding geography and context of a place. I'm burning up down here in 102 degree heat, wish I was up there!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 3:35 PM

Great looking place. Probably a little secret the locals would rather not get out.

Just in recent years Ive "found" Lake Huron. Maybe I'll venture down that way too.

Those agro shots are awesome. Good things grow...I always try to buy Ontario!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
I like regional snapshots like this that show the surrounding geography and context of a place. I'm burning up down here in 102 degree heat, wish I was up there!
You'd get some relief but summers are still pretty hot and extremely humid in this area. The temperature reached 104 here on the one day and averaged around 95 the whole week I was there. But it's always a few degrees cooler sitting by the river, and very refreshing when you're in the water.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 1:28 AM

Looks like the ideal summer city...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 9:21 PM
3rd Coast King

nice looking little town.

My Book

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 10:05 PM
furified freestyle

cool. didn't know you were from a small town too, and a pleasant looking one at that.

what's the international border security like on the river there? uhh, a friend wants to know ...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni sasso View Post

what's the international border security like on the river there? uhh, a friend wants to know ...
Ahhh, the stories I could tell back in the day......

Now:

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 10:48 PM
Reach for the Clouds

You are really making me miss Canada you know that flar?! Love those rural shots!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos