HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 12:04 PM

"Why the Parkside District could look 'completely different' in 18 months"
This is the Headline yesterday and this morning in the Birmingham Business Journal, behind the paywall of course.
This drives me nuts. I have been trying to figure out what this could be about.
Maybe the Steam Plant and Steam Plant Plaza will come on line, or maybe the property on 1st Avenue S. between 16th and 17th Street across from RR Park is about to be redeveloped? Or just plain ole speculation.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 2:48 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
"Why the Parkside District could look 'completely different' in 18 months"
This is the Headline yesterday and this morning in the Birmingham Business Journal, behind the paywall of course.
This drives me nuts. I have been trying to figure out what this could be about.
Maybe the Steam Plant and Steam Plant Plaza will come on line, or maybe the property on 1st Avenue S. between 16th and 17th Street across from RR Park is about to be redeveloped? Or just plain ole speculation.
I started a subscription to the BBJ just yesterday and read through the story. They essentially spoke with people at Children's Hospital, UAB, and real estate about projects in the area.

Basically new buildings at UAB that we've already heard of, nothing new. Children's spoke about trying to increase green space and spoke of "planning for the future" as far as facilities. Real estate folks basically just spoke about Publix, the new residential developments being completed that are already under construction, and the hotel that's under construction.

I too was very intrigued when I read the headline, but the story didn't really provide much more detail than we already know.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 4:02 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
I started a subscription to the BBJ just yesterday and read through the story. They essentially spoke with people at Children's Hospital, UAB, and real estate about projects in the area.

Basically new buildings at UAB that we've already heard of, nothing new. Children's spoke about trying to increase green space and spoke of "planning for the future" as far as facilities. Real estate folks basically just spoke about Publix, the new residential developments being completed that are already under construction, and the hotel that's under construction.

I too was very intrigued when I read the headline, but the story didn't really provide much more detail than we already know.
I let my subscription lapse because of stuff like that. If it were anything definite it would show up on AL around the same time. I think it is safe to assume that the district is still growing and more is coming and that it hasn't peaked yet.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post

Thank you very much. Good news for Birmingham is slow in coming as it is, we do not need teasing.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I let my subscription lapse because of stuff like that. If it were anything definite it would show up on AL around the same time. I think it is safe to assume that the district is still growing and more is coming and that it hasn't peaked yet.
You are right, I should have thought about that before I let the BBJ get under my skin. Thank you also.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 3:34 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...unty-port.html

"The Alabama Port Authority has approved the formation of the Birmingham-Jefferson County Port Authority for the Black Warrior River at Port Birmingham"
I did not see that coming. I do remember then council member William Bell had talked about trying to get the US Army Corp of Engineers to dig a canal from Port Birmingham to the old Ensley Works, that left me scratching my head. I think this Port Authority is a better idea.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 4:24 AM
The Salty Ham

Ha ha. I always thought that was Larry Langford's idea.

Hopefully they can create some jobs with it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Ha ha. I always thought that was Larry Langford's idea.

Hopefully they can create some jobs with it.
Larry seconded it. William Bell brought it up when he was a council member and was going to run for mayor near the end of the Arrington administration.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 4:04 PM
The Salty Ham

The Port Authority is a good idea. I never knew if they were wanting to build a canal to make it into some kind of picturesque waterfront or if it was to be something all about commerce and industry. That at least sounds less crazy and pie in the sky if it was to be all about making it easier for the coal barges as opposed to having luxury homes out at Ensley Works with gondolas and yachts floating by.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 4:11 PM
Cat Enthusiast

This won't be anything like the giant reservoir that Larry Langford suggested. To believe he even though about bringing cruise ships all the way up here...

This will be more along the line of infrastructure and administration. The formation of the authority is really just to facilitate the growth of the existing facilities and capabilities. They mentioned bulk and container shipment, so I imagine their looking to grow Birmingham's multi-modal options.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 3:11 PM
The Salty Ham

Oh yeah, I know no canal will be built. It is good that they see the need to turn this over to a private company that has experience running an inland port rather than turn it into another quagmire of local politics.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 2:15 PM

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 8:12 PM
The Salty Ham

Tatersall back in the news again...

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...0-project.html

Quote:
A developer is seeking zoning approval for a 78-acre site off U.S. 280 and Alabama 119 that could turn into the 280 corridor's next large-scale development.

The development called Tattersall Park could feature retail, restaurants, hotels, medical facilities and residential on a vacant site located near Greystone, according to information on development agent RBY Retail's website.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 12:46 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Tatersall back in the news again...

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...0-project.html
Gah, I don't even remember when this project was first proposed.

I worked for a while at the Lowe's down there and I'm certain that if this project goes through it will be successful.

Last edited by SpawnOfVulcan; Jul 12, 2016 at 3:55 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 7:20 PM
The Salty Ham

It looks like they have dialed it back quite a bit from its initial grandeur. Back then it was supposed to be a Summit-eque competitor. Now it looks like it will be a neighborhood shopping center with a typical Hoover big box center look. And with the gas station in the middle, probably means Anchor A is Costco.

Not a bad addition, because Birmingham definitely needs another Costco, but I was thinking this would potentially be a Nordstrom's (or something similar) based upscale center.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 1:19 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Booker T Washington building is looking SPECTACULAR!! Go take a look, it's facade is mesmerizing, especially compared to renderings!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 2:00 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ties.html?_r=1

The New York Times features downtown Birmingham's Pizitz project.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 1:35 AM
Cat Enthusiast

MAGNIFICENT exposure!

For those of you who don't care to actually read the online article, Pizitz was one of the few that was punctuated by a picture of the project.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 1:41 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I was behind on some project designs at work, so I had to drive into downtown this Saturday to get a few steps ahead in anticipation of Monday.

Below is a list of projects that I've observed over the past few weeks, including today:

- Pizitz is progressing as you would expect. It's an old building that has been vacant for a while. Daily, during weekdays, I see many work-people restoring the facade of the building. This work has been going on for months, so we can all trust that the building will indeed be presented in its original grandeur.

- Thomas Jefferson Tower: I drive by and I see plenty of work, but I see no work on the facade of the tower. I think it is a shame. If they down restore the existing facade, I think it will be a major let down, and we'll still see a dirty tower (albeit with actual residents).

- Federal Reserve: Coming along very quickly and nicely!

- Booker T. Washington: OMG, if you have not at least taken a leisurely stroll or quick drive past this building you have missed out. The east-facing glass facade is mesmerizing. You would never recognize this building.

- Train and Bus Terminals: The bus terminal has taken shape much more quickly than the train station. Both look amazing. They both have very modern architectural appeal.

The train station, oh the train station... it is being built as a true train station in a major city. It is large and is NOTHING like the old, cramped, station that citizens have to deal with in the short term.

IMO, this train station will revolutionize how citizens in Birmingham travel between Atlanta (and points north) and New Orleans.

Along the Crescent line, that stretches from New York to New Orleans, I think you'd have to travel north to Washington before you found a better facility for train travel along the Crescent. This station exemplifies Birmingham's stature, and its relationship to rail traffic... it is HUGE!!!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 12:14 PM

http://abc3340.com/news/local/crossp...ime-for-review
Another plan for the Crossplex by developer Bob Nesbitt. 'Crossplex Village'. I think this will be the next big thing for Birmingham.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast