HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 11:39 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i read on facebook on a friend's feed, not a firm source, that nordstorm has signed a deal to take over all three locations - Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa - Nordstrom did publicly announce last year, at least here in vancouver that they were serious about entering Canada and had some deals they were working on securing some locations
Nordstroms would change the department store scene for sure. The Bay would get a real kick in the pants!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 3:13 PM

The Bay is actually profitable these days.

Sears, on the other hand is losing money.

And keep in mind some of their rents were as low as $1 per square foot...

To lose money on a lease like that takes some work.

I suspect (but don't know)..... you will see Sears exit all of their 'downtown' locations and several of their 'flagship' properties over the next while, at least in Canada.

Many of their leases are cheap, and landlord's have several large U.S. retailers knocking on their doors wanting space right now; but they are largely reluctant to build until they see how Sears shakes out. Re-capturing that space is more cost-efficient than new build.

(retailers known or thought to be interested in the Cdn market; Saks, Nordstrum, Macy's, JC Penny, Kohl's )

I'm inclined to think they will move to 'Home' stores selling appliances and furniture and the like in a greater way.

There is a long standing suggestion that the U.S. chain may fold the Sears brand all together into its K-Mart stores which are the more successful (or is that less un-successful) version of Sears Holdings (the U.S. parent)

I'm not too sure they would want to do that; but definitely see them being badly squeezed in the traditional dept. store space.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 4:48 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Thanks for digging that up and posting it Jimby. I'm suprised they had only been there for 30 years.
That's like a century in Calgary time

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 4:57 AM
Great White Norf

I hope that when these American chains setup shop in Canada that we get at par pricing on retail goods! one can dream, right?

I'd like to see Kohl's and Macy's and I guess Nordstrom (only briefly walked through one during my bro's wedding weekend in OR)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 10:42 AM
Inflatable Hippo

The amount of passion expended around here hating Sears boggles the mind.

Sears Canada is in far better shape than Sears Holdings in the US. If you are waiting for the demise of Sears in Canada you will be disappointed. And the Sears location at North Hill is owned and not leased as are most of the remaining original Simpson-Sears "A" locations.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 11:45 PM

sears is quite different in canada - the ones i have been to across the border are really cheap looking - they don't carry the makeup and stuff like sears does here, i've never seen anna sui or givenchy counters at sears in the states

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
Interesting. I wonder if there is another Anchor store willing to go in (And if so, what? Holt?
I think Holt is pretty commited to the Core after already taking over one complete Sears store.

Holt is pretty exclusive and their market is farily limited. If they opened up another store in Calgary it would do nothing more then compete with the current store, which is the only place in Calgary where you can get the truly ridiculously high end.

What Chinook should do, and might even have to do is renovate yet again and alter the current Sears space to house more then one retailer. The Sears is pretty close to the new wing and the high end stuff there, if they renovated that Sears space and made it into smaller retail locations targetting more high end stuff we could potentially see companies like Gucci, mid/high end stores like Paul and Shark, Prada, basically shoot for the exclusive brand stores like you see in Las Vegas at the Forum Shops. With the huge revenue Chinook had they actually have a chance to get them.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 3:48 AM
Inflatable Hippo

I'm told today Sears turned down an additional $80 million to break their Toronto Eaton Centre lease.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
What Chinook should do, and might even have to do is renovate yet again and alter the current Sears space to house more then one retailer. The Sears is pretty close to the new wing and the high end stuff there, if they renovated that Sears space and made it into smaller retail locations targetting more high end stuff we could potentially see companies like Gucci, mid/high end stores like Paul and Shark, Prada, basically shoot for the exclusive brand stores like you see in Las Vegas at the Forum Shops. With the huge revenue Chinook had they actually have a chance to get them.
Vegas sees 40+ million tourists a year. That's why they have these shops smack in the middle of the strip. Chinook will not likely see these brands for looooooooooong time - even with another reno.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Chinook will not likely see these brands for looooooooooong time - even with another reno.
You likely would have said the same thing about Coach and Tiffani and Co. 3 years ago, but here we are now...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:19 AM
power to the people!

My fashionable friend says Coach isn't in the same league as Gucci or Prada.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:51 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
Your friend would be 100% correct!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Coach would be a step below Prada, Tiffani and Co. as far as their target market goes is not. Calgary has also gotten afew companies that are even more high end then Prada or Gucci if you include the exclusive brand sections of Holt, Hermes for instance who in effect have a small but complete and exclusive store within Holt.

Whether or not they are going to make as much money in Chinook as they would in Vegas is a red herring as well, if they make enough in a Chinook location to make a profit then it would be in their interest to do it, and they probably would make a profit because there are simply few options when a person in Calgary want to truly shop high end, and a boat load of people in this city have the income to afford to shop in stores like that.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 2:30 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
I feel sorry for the men that know that.

My wife could care less about designer purses.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:17 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
My wife could care less about designer purses.
So, she cares a lot?

Tropics- Tiffani? Realli?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Tropics- Tiffani? Realli?
I never said I cared about shopping there enough to personally know how to spell it.

Still, a city that has internationally recognized stores like that actually gets alot of recognition itself by having those retailers. Often when I look for a specific retailer here in Calgary I find out on their website that we do not in fact have one, but Vancouver, Toronto, they do.

Our high end shopping experience in this city is pretty limited. This X-Mas I actually was looking for alot of higher end stuff and so was a friend of mine and it sort of sucked. Holt had a limited amount of Gucci belts in a smattering of useless sizes sitting in a white painted particle board hanging belt storage unit that looked like it belonged in Walmart. Half of the belts had fallen and were all over the bottom of the thing. The only part of Holt that actually takes care to keep presentation of the products top end and have alot of stock are the brand retail areas around the perimeter of the store.

For Gucci, noone else in the entire of Calgary carries it, so you are left with that dismal shopping experience in the non-brand area of Holt where they probably don't have your size of belt unless you are a dwarf.

There are few cities in North America that have as many people making as much money as they are as Calgary. We have an economy that could support alot of those types of retailers, in fact this city is almost starving for them, we might be smaller then alot of the cities that have those outlets, but we have as much money as some of those cities that already do.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:22 AM
Round Head

So Indigo Spirit Mount Royal Village is closing on the 17th. Kind of a bummer for the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 3:17 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
So Indigo Spirit Mount Royal Village is closing on the 17th. Kind of a bummer for the neighbourhood.
That is a bummer. I buy a lot of books and used that store once in a while. The size was a drawback though, as they really only had best sellers and a few other titles here and there. I read a lot of environmental/science/urban/cultural non-fiction, and that place didn't have much there, other than the standard Malcolm Gladwell or Michael Lewis.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:04 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Jesus. That's horrible.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:11 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

So does that leave any 'mainstream' bookstore in the beltline?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy