HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is a significant difference between terrorism and civil disobedience.
Starting with the fact that, in the case of the former, somebody needs to be terrorized.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
We've done everything reasonable with the Coastal Gaslink pipeline and have acted in accordance with the rule of law under our democratic constitution which contains clauses on indigenous rights. The protestors have no valid complaint. We can't just keep accomodating every protestor to the end. We've done everything realistically possible to accomodate their concerns, so if they don't just shut up already, I say we screw accommodation and just do what we want whenever we want. (See? Protest just makes people hate you and want to take away what you have).
By going against what elected First Nations leaders have decided I'd say we'd be trampling over First Nations rights if we supported these protestors and every day we allow these protests to go on is an insult to their peoples. Its like if Canadian leaders chose to do something in Canada and suddenly we had a ton of American protesters over on our land. These are nations that have voted one way and we are invading them by allowing our own activists to occupy their land and threaten them.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 10:31 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
If you were white and upper class....
Ah yes. It's the white, upperclass people who are oppressed in this country, and protesting is now a form of terrorism.

I really hope this is just some weird phase a number of Canadians are going through. I really can't bear the thought of having a sizable chunk of Canada thinking like this.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Starting with the fact that, in the case of the former, somebody needs to be terrorized.
Economic terrorism.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 10:34 PM

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 10:36 PM

Sorry are those people not allowed to protest? I'm confused.

FTR I support Coastal Gaslink but this misguided protest-hate is confusing. They are exercising their legal rights.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 10:39 PM

"economic terrorism"

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
"economic terrorism"
It's their economic insecurity that's causing it.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Sorry are those people not allowed to protest? I'm confused.

FTR I support Coastal Gaslink but this misguided protest-hate is confusing. They are exercising their legal rights.
Bullshit they are. It's one fucking family opposed to this. And since when do we listen to rented protestors that have no stake in the matter. Just stop with the asinine posts. You, Frankie, etc. all know that these people are not exercising any legal rights.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Bullshit they are. It's one fucking family opposed to this. And since when do we listen to rented protestors that have no stake in the matter. Just stop with the asinine posts. You, Frankie, etc. all know that these people are not exercising any legal rights.
A family?

They are being paid? Let's see a check. Signed by Soros?

Do you honestly believe they aren't people out there who believe strongly that we shouldn't build this pipeline, for whatever reason?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
A family?

Do you honestly believe they aren't people out there who believe strongly that we shouldn't build this pipeline, for whatever reason?
Am less against an environmental protest than one that claims to speak for a First Nations tribe that has voted for the pipeline. Thats just fradulent.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 12:54 AM
Registered Drug User

The political threads in this forum have turned stupid over the past couple of years.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 1:05 AM

Quote:
A family?

You know... the family!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker View Post
So if I don't want to pay back my student loans I can obstruct the subway until I get my way?
Ideally, you'll recruit a bunch of other students to your cause, until your numbers are high enough to have an impact, and then you'll get out wearing your little red squares and banging on pots and pans and blocking traffic and/or the subway, yes. It's not like you'd be the first...

(You may also even help topple the current government at that time! )

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
This is ridiculous. Terrorism causes terror. Are you actually terrified by this?
Sometimes, stupidity terrifies me, which means on occasion, SSP would qualify as a terrorist website.

I don't think your definition is viable.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 1:56 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Sometimes, stupidity terrifies me, which means on occasion, SSP would qualify as a terrorist website.

I don't think your definition is viable.
Precisely...this thread makes me shake my head to the world. I've found these protests intriguing...partly because to block the railways, the routes that helped the spread of civilization westward i.e. divine intervention and kill off most of the plains bison/move indigenous communities away into their present conditions across the continent...is to say that they're sick of being walked over and having their lands polluted and cut through with infrastructure and lines of varying properties....in this case a pipeline...which could do an immense amount of damage environmentally...while helping some indigenous groups economically.

This is just one way of looking at the situation mind you...and I get the inconvenience...it is frustrating for those using the railways. There's just a lot to this issue.....and I genuinely hope we don't run into another Oka situation...some of the comments in this thread are starting to make me think otherwise.....

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
The political threads in this forum have turned stupid over the past couple of years.
Most likely due to the influence of American society, which has dumbed itself down over the last couple decades to the point of pure idiocy in most facets of life. And now it's creeping into Canadian society because people in this country are obsessed with most things south of the border, including mimicking their political activism beliefs.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 2:32 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Thread closed for review.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada