Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
If you offered me Пи Porи I'm not sure I'd say yes :p

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 6:07 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
If you offered me Пи Porи I'm not sure I'd say yes :p
If I know what you're getting at...

The Ukrainian pronunciation is pretty innocuous. The и (y when transliterated) would sound like the i in pit.

The Russian pronunciation of the и letter is "ee" though...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 8:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
What's up with this spelling of perogy? My wife is Ukrainian from behind the garlic curtain in SK and that's not how her family spells it. If it's the Polish spelling, then it's wrong (according to the Ukes)
edit. wasn't aware there was so many English spellings.
The proper Ukrainian term for perogi is varenyky. Pyrohy is Polish. Full stop.

How many more of these stupid threads will be allowed to be created? Where is the moderation in this forum?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 9:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
What would Manitobans compete in though? Skidooing? Knife throwing? Ice fishing? Potato sack racing?
Why do I get the feeling you are not the sharpest crayon in the box in real life?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 10:13 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeceZ View Post
The proper Ukrainian term for perogi is varenyky. Pyrohy is Polish. Full stop.

How many more of these stupid threads will be allowed to be created? Where is the moderation in this forum?
Actually, пироги is in the western Ukrainian lexicon (and in that of the diaspora). The roots of the word could be polish, but that doesn't make it a non-Ukrainian word as well. Just like how standard Ukrainian would use картопля for potato, but regionalisms include бульба, бараболя (more common in the diaspora), мандибурка, among others.

Languages borrow and influence each other all the time and in eastern Europe especially there is a lot of overlap and gradual transitions between languages.

As this thread was always a bit of a "joke", I don't see the need to take it too seriously...

Everything must be buildings and infrastructure! No exceptions! Fun is absolutely verboten!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

Fun fact... Perogy or Pierogi are already plural words, so when we sat perogies or pierogis, we're pluralizing a plural.
Well, if they can do it with “paninis” ...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 11:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Actually, пироги is in the western Ukrainian lexicon (and in that of the diaspora). The roots of the word could be polish, but that doesn't make it a non-Ukrainian word as well. Just like how standard Ukrainian would use картопля for potato, but regionalisms include бульба, бараболя (more common in the diaspora), мандибурка, among others.

Languages borrow and influence each other all the time and in eastern Europe especially there is a lot of overlap and gradual transitions between languages.

As this thread was always a bit of a "joke", I don't see the need to take it too seriously...

Everything must be buildings and infrastructure! No exceptions! Fun is absolutely verboten!
Yes, I'm well aware of the "borrowing of terms" between languages. Much of the Ukrainian spoken in Canada is known as "Canadian Ukrainian" because much of the language contains Polish due to the Polish influence in Galicia (Western Ukraine) from previous Polish rule of the area.

Technically, Canadian Ukrainian is not proper Ukrainian, regarding language purity. This is why in Western Ukraine Polish terms are becoming obsolete and proper Ukrainian is being re-introduced to bring back the integrity of the Ukrainian vernacular. I know this because I am Ukrainian and my family is from Galicia.

So while Pyrohy is an acceptable "Ukrainian" term in Canada, it is not proper Ukrainian based on the true Ukrainian language. Varenyky is the proper and true Ukrainian term.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 1:07 AM

Quote:
If I know what you're getting at...

The Ukrainian pronunciation is pretty innocuous. The и (y when transliterated) would sound like the i in pit.

The Russian pronunciation of the и letter is "ee" though...
I don't think the pronunciation is what he was getting at!

(although thanks, I've always wanted to learn a bit more about the Ukrainian language!)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
What would Manitobans compete in though? Skidooing? Knife throwing? Ice fishing? Potato sack racing?
Crokinole

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 2:13 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeceZ View Post
Yes, I'm well aware of the "borrowing of terms" between languages. Much of the Ukrainian spoken in Canada is known as "Canadian Ukrainian" because much of the language contains Polish due to the Polish influence in Galicia (Western Ukraine) from previous Polish rule of the area.

Technically, Canadian Ukrainian is not proper Ukrainian, regarding language purity. This is why in Western Ukraine Polish terms are becoming obsolete and proper Ukrainian is being re-introduced to bring back the integrity of the Ukrainian vernacular. I know this because I am Ukrainian and my family is from Galicia.

So while Pyrohy is an acceptable "Ukrainian" term in Canada, it is not proper Ukrainian based on the true Ukrainian language. Varenyky is the proper and true Ukrainian term.
I too am Ukrainian with ancestors from Halychyna. And yes, although the move is generally toward standardisation, there is also an undercurrent of striving to preserve some of the regionalisms and local dialectical differences. When I was studying Ukrainian in Lviv a number of years ago, they were actually quite interested in the differences, especially as many were generally in line with the Ukrainian spoken in villages nearby.

One "standardisation" I absolutely refuse to adopt though is девяносто. I will always use девядесять.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 2:14 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Crokinole
Mosquito swatting?

I feel like a lot of these could be in a grand Manitoba vs Saskatchewan throwdown.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 5:48 AM
The New Republic

Doesn't Manitoba produce a lot of top notch speed skaters? Cindy Klassen... There's a lot of volleyball talent that comes out of there too. It's odd how some provinces are good at certain sports but not others. Most of Canada's short track speed skaters seem to be from Quebec, for instance.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 6:37 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Doesn't Manitoba produce a lot of top notch speed skaters? Cindy Klassen... There's a lot of volleyball talent that comes out of there too. It's odd how some provinces are good at certain sports but not others. Most of Canada's short track speed skaters seem to be from Quebec, for instance.
That's another Sasktoba thing. Off the top of my head,

Cindy Klassen and Clara Hughes for MB.

Catriona Le May Doan and Jeremy Wotherspoon for SK.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada