HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Today, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
What I said was that Vaughan is not primarily populated by immigrants, which is true. And despite your assertion, those immigrants aren't predominantly East Asian. Let's stick with the facts here.

In any case, immigration has nothing to do with bus ridership in the GTA.

Irrelevant. New York has more people than all of Sweden but that doesn't change the fact that Swedish cities tend to be denser and more transit oriented than their American equivalents. I'm not sure why you're so offended by this, it's simply the way American cities are set up for the most part. Again, the existence of New York doesn't change that.

How old are you?

No.
Lol American cities are low density and without transit except for the city that has more people living at high density and a larger metro system than everywhere in my country put together. Just a small irrelevant outlier!

Hey, I have something to blow your mind. Maybe central Toronto and Montreal are outliers? Maybe Vaughn and Mississauga and Laval are the real Canada?

Old Posted Today, 2:49 AM

^ It is an irrelevant outlier, 90% of the US operates nothing like New York and only about 2% of the American population lives in NYC.

Old Posted Today, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
^ It is an irrelevant outlier, 90% of the US operates nothing like New York and only about 2% of the American population lives in NYC.
So I guess we shouldn’t talk about urban Canada because it’s just irrelevant. Less than 1% of North America’s population. How many people live in the parts of Toronto and Montreal with population densities analogous to NYC’s?

“Yeah forget about the largest city in the entire Western world, it’s irrelevant compared to Toronto!”

Old Posted Today, 2:58 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

How tiresome

5% of Americans live in the core of the New York urban area at very high densities. Calling it irrelevant is highly inaccurate

Old Posted Today, 3:12 AM

Or alternatively, Reykjavik shits on NYC, Paris, London and Toronto! Because it’s a bigger proportion of Iceland’s population than those cities are of their countries’ populations. Fair is fair. Reykjavik is very relevant and Paris is an outlier. It’s science.

Old Posted Today, 3:15 AM
DownTowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Saying that New York is not American is about as insulting and philistine as saying Montreal is not Canadian, yet you never hear this kind of statement made round here. Hmm
The pot calling the kettle black, to say the least!

"insulting and philistine" are many of your statements when you comment in Canada/Australia etc. related threads which you obviously do with the purpose of disruption. Remember, I have put together, as I told you before, a pretty neat compendium (exhibit A, as I call it ) of your statements...So pleeeease, spare us the bulls**t.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Today, 3:37 AM

Quote:
I would to know what percentage old stock (white) Canadians live in high rises, vs immigrants. Is there a major difference?
Yes, definitely. The in-town SFH neighborhoods are dominated by old-stock whites. Rosedale, probably the richest SFH neighborhood, is very WASP. Really all the older, rich SFH neighborhoods along Yonge are old-stock white (though often Jewish further north).

Old Posted Today, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
What I said was that Vaughan is not primarily populated by immigrants, which is true. And despite your assertion, those immigrants aren't predominantly East Asian. Let's stick with the facts here.

In any case, immigration has nothing to do with bus ridership in the GTA.
None of this is true.

We were talking about Mississauga, Mississauga has a huge foreign-born population, no one claimed these immigrants were predominately East Asian, and immigration is heavily correlated with transit share, particularly in Canadian sprawl.

Old Posted Today, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
None of this is true.

We were talking about Mississauga, Mississauga has a huge foreign-born population, no one claimed these immigrants were predominately East Asian, and immigration is heavily correlated with transit share, particularly in Canadian sprawl.
Has this been demonstrated? And what would be the cause? Immigrants having lower car ownership? Less likely to have licenses?

If it's about immigrants being lower in socio-economic status than non-immigrants, you'd expect then that poverty would be the driver, not immigration status.

Rich immigrants and rich non-immigrants would equally not take transit, poor immigrants and poor non-immigrants alike would also be similarly likely to take transit... is that what you see?

Old Posted Today, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Sadly North American Italians are some of the most exuberant sprawl-favorers
For many immigrant groups (and non-immigrants alike), suburbs are a symbol of the "American dream".

East Asians in North American metros like sprawl too. There's a stereotypical association of McMansions with them. Is there that much of a difference between Californian east Asian ethnoburbs and Markham or Richmond?

Are there ethnic groups stereotyped or known for enjoying dense living in a North American context? I know that living densely is a stereotype for many groups, enjoying it is not.

Old Posted Today, 5:47 AM

American cities tend to be less dense and more car oriented than in the rest of the industrialized world even if you include NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Has this been demonstrated?
It hasn't. Crawford is just making stuff up as usual.

Quote:
None of this is true.

No, the statement was about Vaughan:
Quote:
Vaughn is populated by predominantly East Asian immigrants
Quote:
immigration is heavily correlated with transit share
Prove it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions