HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 10:31 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Queens, New York: named after Queen Catherine of Braganza

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 2:33 AM
恭喜发财!

I should also add the city of my birth, Dublin, which comes from the Gaelic dubh linn, meaning 'black pool'.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 3:03 AM

Metro: Houston, for Texas general and president Sam Houston.

Home town: League City, for early settler and leader John League.

Current Residence: La Marque, apparently in error by French nuns looking for "the mark" on the map in which they were headed, Galveston.

Bonus (some other locales I've frequented)

Pomona, after the Greek mythological figure.

Carson, for the Carson Estate Company.

Rialto, for the area of Venice.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 5:28 AM

Thanks for all the good info. Learned things about places I would have never known otherwise!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 10:29 AM
Vires acquirit eundo

Melbourne named after William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne - the UK Prime Minister at the time (1837)

Sydney named after Thomas Townshend, Lord Sydney (Baron Sydney, Viscount Sydney from 1789)

Brisbane named after Thomas Brisbane who was governor of New South Wales at the time of the city's founding (1824).

Adelaide named after Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen - consort of King william IV (at time of founding - 1836).

Perth named after Perth in Scotland.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 12:31 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Current town: new York

Nova eboricum in Latin

Eboricum was the capital of the Roman province of northern Britannia (now the city of York, uk)

Despite its small size and remote location, eboricum has some importance in Roman history

Constantine the great was proclaimed emperor there in 300 or so.

I believe the emperor Septimius Severus also died there

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Queens, New York: named after Queen Catherine of Braganza
Kings County (Brooklyn) was named for her husband, King Charles II. What I didn't know before verifying is that Richmond County (Staten Island) is named for Charles's son, the Duke of Richmond. Brooklyn is named after Breukelen, Netherlands.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 4:05 PM
TheBigDaddyFromCincinnati

Cincinnati got its name from the 5th-century BC Roman soldier and hero, Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus.

After leading the republic’s army to victory over invaders, he denied rewards, returning to a farm where he lived out the remainder of his days instead. For many people, and especially Revolutionary War-era Patriots, Cincinnatus embodied self-sacrifice, patriotic loyalty, integrity, and civic virtue. In particular, his history represented for new Americans the promise of democracy and the possibility of overcoming tyranny.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 7:19 PM

My hometown is Fort Worth, TX. It is named after General William Worth. He led troops in the War of 1812, fought in the Indian wars in Florida, served as commandant of West Point, and later was considered a "hero" in the Mexican War of 1846. Fort Worth was founded in 1848 as an outpost to protect white settlers from Comanche raiders. Gen.Worth's grave is underneath that black marble obelisk across the way from the Flatiron Building and Madison Square in NYC just above 23rd St where 5th Ave and B'way intersect. https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...-york-new-york

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 8:12 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
My hometown is Fort Worth, TX. It is named after General William Worth. He led troops in the War of 1812, fought in the Indian wars in Florida, served as commandant of West Point, and later was considered a "hero" in the Mexican War of 1846. Fort Worth was founded in 1848 as an outpost to protect white settlers from Comanche raiders. Gen.Worth's grave is underneath that black marble obelisk across the way from the Flatiron Building and Madison Square in NYC just above 23rd St where 5th Ave and B'way intersect. https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...-york-new-york
When you look at his grave on a satellite view of Google Maps, you can see lots of tables with umbrellas set up, and what appear to be vendor stalls. The tables and umbrellas are visible on Google Street View, along with some food carts... Just folks having a grand time, living life at a grave... I love it! Reminds me of the garden cemetery movement in America, when graveyards doubled as playgrounds and picnicking spots. I love graveyards... Always have.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
My hometown is Fort Worth, TX. It is named after General William Worth.
Hmmm. So Dallas and Fort Worth were both named after non-Texans. Figures!

(Yes, I'm being bad.)

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 8:31 PM

Buffalo, New York -

The city received its name from the Buffalo River and Buffalo Creek which flow through the current downtown area into Lake Erie. The site had historically been native American villages, and it is said that when the first French explorer arrived in the area in 1679, Louis Hennepin exclaimed "Beau Fleuve" (beautiful river) which eventually became Anglicized into the word Buffalo. By the mid 1700s Buffalo was the common term used for the river, and the nearby villages.

The 1804 Joseph Ellicott's survey and street layout for the city referred to it as New Amsterdam, but the new name never stuck.

Although it had been noted that American buffalo were seen as far east as the shores of Lake Erie by early European explorers, there have been no known buffalo historically seen in the area currently Buffalo NY.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 8:38 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Hmmm. So Dallas and Fort Worth were both named after non-Texans. Figures!

(Yes, I'm being bad.)
I'll be worse:

Sam Houston was born in Rockbridge County, Virginia.

Stephen F. Austin was born in Wythe County, Virginia.

St. Anthony of Padua was born in Lisbon, Portugal.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 8:53 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

The town I grew up in, Gaston, Oregon, was named for the first president of the Oregon Central Railroad, Joseph P. Gaston. He drained a swamp that became part of the town area, although today the town is mostly on the hill to the west of the drained area. At the time it was named, there was passenger rail service to Portland, about 25 miles away, but today there aren't even tracks although as a boy I would occasionally find old railroad spikes. He has a pretty significant place in Oregon history, especially the Portland area, but is relatively unknown today.

The name of the city I was born in, Boise, Idaho, is derived from the French words for the trees or woods that exist along the river of the same name that runs through it. Exactly who named it is not known for certain but all plausible stories do include someone of French-speaking origin starting the tradition - a French guide in some stories, just unnamed French-Canadian trappers in others. For many miles in every direction, there is very limited woodland, so the woodland surrounding the Boise River in the area where the City now stands was a significant feature for Europeans arriving in the area in the early days.

The name of the city where I've spent the majority of my life, Chicago, is (per Wikipedia) "derived from a French rendering of the indigenous Miami-Illinois word shikaakwa for a wild relative of the onion; it is known to botanists as Allium tricoccum and known more commonly as 'ramps'." And, even today, it's not uncommon to find ramps on dinner menus of Chicago-area fine dining restaurants when they're in season.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 9:10 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
what is your social security number, your pet's name, your first school and your mother's maiden name?
SSN (as implausible as it seems): 123-456-7890
Pet's name: Cat (named for Cat Cora, he's a Siberian Husky)
My first school was named "Coño de Tu Mamá," believe it or not.
My mom's maiden name is Reina del Baile.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 10:50 PM
Houston:Considered Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I'll be worse:

St. Anthony of Padua was born in Lisbon, Portugal.
Well, it would make sense. When most towns are being founded, they are founded by people who are migrating from other areas. Not many native Texans to name it after when the area is just being populated for the first time.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I'll be worse:
Yeah, but they both died in Texas and actually had just a little bit to do with the founding of Texas. You don't have to be born here to be a Texan.

Last edited by bilbao58; Feb 6, 2020 at 11:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 11:38 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Well, it would make sense. When most towns are being founded, they are founded by people who are migrating from other areas. Not many native Texans to name it after when the area is just being populated for the first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Yeah, but they both died in Texas and actually had just a little bit to do with the founding of Texas. You don't have to be born here to be a Texan.
Oh, hush... Don't go spoiling people's fun. I just thought it was interesting.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
When you look at his grave on a satellite view of Google Maps, you can see lots of tables with umbrellas set up, and what appear to be vendor stalls. The tables and umbrellas are visible on Google Street View, along with some food carts... Just folks having a grand time, living life at a grave... I love it! Reminds me of the garden cemetery movement in America, when graveyards doubled as playgrounds and picnicking spots. I love graveyards... Always have.
My backyard borders an old cemetery in the hills above the Allegheny River. It’s basically a park, with far more joggers and dog-walkers than gravesite visitors. I love it.

And the neighbors are really quiet.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Oh, hush... Don't go spoiling people's fun. I just thought it was interesting.
Well, I almost added "But you know that" to my post but, since there was smilie, I wasn't sure that you did indeed know it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions