HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 6:33 PM

The Philip (Honeyman Hardware) | xx' | 11 floors | Proposed

Pre-Application Conference for 502-514 NW 9th Ave (Honeyman Hardware Blocks)

Quote:
265,000sf, 23-story, 327-unit apartment tower including an affordable housing component, with 3 levels of underground parking (192 spaces), ground floor retail, and tenant amenity space on levels 2 and 23. Development is the east half of the block. The existing Metro building and the eastern portion of the Bindery building would be demo'd. Subgrade parking ties into existing Cotter building located on the NW portion of the block. Stormwater will be managed on-site via ecoroof.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
Pre-Application Conference for 502-514 NW 9th Ave (Honeyman Hardware Blocks)
Interesting proposal. The location is a bit rough today but I can imagine the long-term appeal of developing here with the Broadway Corridor adjacent to the north.

Does anyone know who the architect or developer might be? Will this project be required to step back from the Park Blocks? That would leave a footprint of 88' x 200', right?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 11:32 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Am I seeing this right? They're demolishing the Honeyman Hardware building?

Also: Is there anything in the works for the block to the south with two surface parkings lots?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Am I seeing this right? They're demolishing the Honeyman Hardware building?

Also: Is there anything in the works for the block to the south with two surface parkings lots?
Yes, the request notes a plan to demolish the eastern blocks of the entire Honeyman site, but the western buildings, the 7-story and 1-story front NW 9th, will remain. It's interesting because the eastern side front the future park (hopefully) that's sandwiched between the PNCA building to the east. In looking at the permits for the parking lots to the south, I'm not seeing anything in the works at this time.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 3:54 AM

I've often hoped that the parking lot(s) to the south would redevelop, however a pretty big obstacle is that there are three parcels, all in separate ownership.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 1:27 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
Yes, the request notes a plan to demolish the eastern blocks of the entire Honeyman site, but the western buildings, the 7-story and 1-story front NW 9th, will remain. It's interesting because the eastern side front the future park (hopefully) that's sandwiched between the PNCA building to the east. In looking at the permits for the parking lots to the south, I'm not seeing anything in the works at this time.
Okay, that makes more sense. It would be sad to see those two little buildings go, but they make more sense to tear down those rather than the larger buildings on the block.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 3:03 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Okay, that makes more sense. It would be sad to see those two little buildings go, but they make more sense to tear down those rather than the larger buildings on the block.
If this proposed development moves forward, it shows much optimism about the area's potential. The ambitious plans for the Post Office acreage as well as the planned extension of the North Park Blocks must outweigh the damage done by rampant homelessness and untreated mental illness every day on the nearby sidewalks.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 7:54 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
If this proposed development moves forward, it shows much optimism about the area's potential. The ambitious plans for the Post Office acreage as well as the planned extension of the North Park Blocks must outweigh the damage done by rampant homelessness and untreated mental illness every day on the nearby sidewalks.
In the grand scheme of Portland, the issue with homelessness and the current state of downtown isn't that big of an issue. Portland tends to go through these cycles every 20 years and then rebounds from it and into a new form for the city. I wouldn't be surprised to see this area of the city becoming the next hot spot within the next 5-10 years with only fading memories of what the conditions once were.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I've often hoped that the parking lot(s) to the south would redevelop, however a pretty big obstacle is that there are three parcels, all in separate ownership.
I've fantasized for years about having the ability to develop those parcels around the Hive building. I know capitalism doesn't work like this but I love the poetry of having smaller/older buildings in the mix with larger-scale/modern new construction. Would be cool to connect the roof of the Hive building to an adjacent structure and put a rooftop bar up there. Even though our blocks are small it's still nice not to have block faces taken up by a single building, although it can work just fine when done well, obviously.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Why an L.A. developer is betting $85M on a Pearl District tower

A major developer's decision to exit Portland's massive Broadway Corridor redevelopment wasn't enough to put off Eran Fields. Fields, from Los Angeles, still thinks it's worth building something on the edge of that project.

"Ultimately, I'm hoping that that area gets developed, and I'll be right there at the entrance to it all," Fields said. "The hope is that whoever develops it, or a combination of those who develop it, with the guidance of hopefully the city, will do it right."

Denver-based Continuum Partners last year left the Broadway Corridor redevelopment, which if realized stands to bring thousands of homes and jobs between Old Town Chinatown and the Pearl District. Despite the setback with Continuum, local officials are taking next steps in the short term, such as demolishing the post office facility.

Fields is keeping the faith.

The managing member of Fields Holdings is behind a proposed $85 million Pearl District high-rise that could bring 337 apartments to where Northwest Hoyt Street and Northwest Ninth Avenue intersect, just south of Broadway Corridor. Workers would need to knock down much of what’s there to make room for his planned 23-story building, which the Business Journal first reported on last week. The building would be called the Philip, after his father.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal ($).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 2:57 AM

The rendering isn't too bad. The size will stand out in that area until the post office property is developed.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 6:20 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

I assume that's a really early rendering, but as long as the street level is done right to make it part of what will hopefully be an emerging neighborhood (with the Post Office site nearby) it could be great.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 8:23 AM
BANNED

Speaking of which. When are they bulldozing the post office site and getting started on the plain grid?

I know the developers/investors recently backed out but the city said they will continue with the bulldozing etc?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 7:47 PM

Can someone please post a rendering? Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
I don't see it either?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 11:12 PM

Thanks!!!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 7:45 AM
A before E

That would standout at that site, I would love to see the Post Office site be this size or taller.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 8:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
That would standout at that site, I would love to see the Post Office site be this size or taller.
Yea me too. Now if they could just get started on the demo atleast. Whenever that is

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 10:25 PM

Quote:
My dream is for them to max out the heights at the Post Office site!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland