HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 4:20 PM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
bcp and others in the business community lobbied for this early on. It was looked at and dismissed, I believe in large part because the electric CRT technology/rolling stock just doesn't work well with stops at that frequency.
I could see that being a valid point against it. However, the trains never get up past 30 MPH between there and Union Station, so it would seem to invalidate that point. Perhaps the decision was made before they realized the trains would be traveling so slow through there?

I guess there is always the idea of eventually running the LRT streetcar back down from 38th station in to LoDo. I do think the Central corridor streetcar line should become the starter line for a small streetcar system serving downtown and immediate surrounding areas. Maybe back down through LoDo and over into Highlands. Then a spur down Broadway to Civic Center and on down to Broadway Station. Possibly one or two other short Spurs to City Park, and/or Auraria Campus. And probably down Spear to Cherry Creek. Then beyond this, several well branded and designed BRT corridors that run down major corridors in straight shots a little further out towards the city limits.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
I could see that being a valid point against it. However, the trains never get up past 30 MPH between there and Union Station, so it would seem to invalidate that point. Perhaps the decision was made before they realized the trains would be traveling so slow through there?

I guess there is always the idea of eventually running the LRT streetcar back down from 38th station in to LoDo. I do think the Central corridor streetcar line should become the starter line for a small streetcar system serving downtown and immediate surrounding areas. Maybe back down through LoDo and over into Highlands. Then a spur down Broadway to Civic Center and on down to Broadway Station. Possibly one or two other short Spurs to City Park, and/or Auraria Campus. And probably down Spear to Cherry Creek. Then beyond this, several well branded and designed BRT corridors that run down major corridors in straight shots a little further out towards the city limits.
I like the way you think - there's definitely nothing wrong with dreaming about a transit system that extends beyond the current planning maps. I also think that the L-Line/Central Corridor could be a great starter line for a small streetcar system. It seems like a no brainer to treat the intersection with Welton and Broadway as a three-way spur - build a two-way facility much like the Welton tracks down 19th to get within striking distance of Union Station, then another line down Broadway to either Speer or Alameda. Then get the L-line trains off of the Stout/California loop and reserve that capacity for the D/F/H light rail lines (iirc the downtown loop can't handle much more traffic). Speer is also an obvious route for a local tram, but with less obvious terminus points on either end (for example, is this an extension of the Broadway line, or something that continues north on Speer all the way to the Highlands or beyond?).

It has always struck me that the original Central Light Rail wasn't entirely sure if it was trying to be a commuter system or something more like a streetcar - south of Colfax it behaves like a commuter train, and north of Colfax more like a streetcar. The creation of the new L line, and the routing of most new LR routes into the hub at Union Station seems to suggest that it has shaken out as a commuter system and perhaps the original on-street infrastructure should be treated as a different (local) system. That said, the use of Stout/California as a terminus for the D/F/H lines still makes sense (a bit like how the Flatiron Flyer starts making more frequent local stops to serve the CU campus once on Broadway in Boulder).

I agree with your assessment that what is really lacking is a better form of local distribution for transit riders. For example, tonight I am planning to meet my family at Uchi for dinner, and was brainstorming a way for us all to meet in Arvada and ride the train. The trouble is, once we're at Union Station, it's a good 20-25 minute walk to 25th and Lawrence. By the time we get an Uber, we might as well have just driven to that part of Denver from Arvada. If there were decent service connecting Union Station to this part of town with local stops, this wouldn't be an issue. Perhaps the long-rumored Larimer Street tram from Auraria West all the way up to 38th and Blake could serve this purpose rather than adding extra stops on the A-Line?

The same goes for the part of town south of Colfax. My understanding is that the original LR project from Broadway and I-25 to downtown also looked at an alternative using Broadway itself. As far as I'm concerned, this would be a completely different (more streetcar-like) and complementary service, not a direct competitor to the commuter-line that was actually built.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 8:36 PM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
I like the way you think - there's definitely nothing wrong with dreaming about a transit system that extends beyond the current planning maps. I also think that the L-Line/Central Corridor could be a great starter line for a small streetcar system. It seems like a no brainer to treat the intersection with Welton and Broadway as a three-way spur - build a two-way facility much like the Welton tracks down 19th to get within striking distance of Union Station, then another line down Broadway to either Speer or Alameda. Then get the L-line trains off of the Stout/California loop and reserve that capacity for the D/F/H light rail lines (iirc the downtown loop can't handle much more traffic). Speer is also an obvious route for a local tram, but with less obvious terminus points on either end (for example, is this an extension of the Broadway line, or something that continues north on Speer all the way to the Highlands or beyond?).

It has always struck me that the original Central Light Rail wasn't entirely sure if it was trying to be a commuter system or something more like a streetcar - south of Colfax it behaves like a commuter train, and north of Colfax more like a streetcar. The creation of the new L line, and the routing of most new LR routes into the hub at Union Station seems to suggest that it has shaken out as a commuter system and perhaps the original on-street infrastructure should be treated as a different (local) system. That said, the use of Stout/California as a terminus for the D/F/H lines still makes sense (a bit like how the Flatiron Flyer starts making more frequent local stops to serve the CU campus once on Broadway in Boulder).

I agree with your assessment that what is really lacking is a better form of local distribution for transit riders. For example, tonight I am planning to meet my family at Uchi for dinner, and was brainstorming a way for us all to meet in Arvada and ride the train. The trouble is, once we're at Union Station, it's a good 20-25 minute walk to 25th and Lawrence. By the time we get an Uber, we might as well have just driven to that part of Denver from Arvada. If there were decent service connecting Union Station to this part of town with local stops, this wouldn't be an issue. Perhaps the long-rumored Larimer Street tram from Auraria West all the way up to 38th and Blake could serve this purpose rather than adding extra stops on the A-Line?

The same goes for the part of town south of Colfax. My understanding is that the original LR project from Broadway and I-25 to downtown also looked at an alternative using Broadway itself. As far as I'm concerned, this would be a completely different (more streetcar-like) and complementary service, not a direct competitor to the commuter-line that was actually built.
Yes, exactly what I was thinking. You did a much better job explaining it in written form! $1 billion would get you several of these short streetcar lines. We're talking about only running them out to RINO/38th station, Cherry Creek, Broadway Station, Auraria West and Highlands. Maybe City Park/Denver Zoo/Nature & Science Museum.

Then another $500M-$1B and Denver can run BRT corridors much farther out. Pretty much running the BRT routes the full length of the corridor inside city limits. Corridors like Colfax, Federal, Colorado BLVD, etc...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 5:59 AM

RTD's Future: More like Seattle or more like Los Angeles?

Death Spiral: Riders Fleeing LA Buses
Jul 5, 2019 By Aaron Short - Streetsblog
Quote:
Ridership on Los Angeles County buses plummeted 25 percent over the past decade as the region’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority lost about 95 million trips, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Conventional wisdom turned on its head.
Quote:
Instead, car ownership has been growing, particularly among low-income immigrants and Latinos in Los Angeles as well as Imperial, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Ventura counties, according to the UCLA study. The share of foreign-born households that don’t have access to a car fell 42 percent between 2000 and 2015, the study found.
People don't like riding buses because...
Quote:
A surge in the city’s homeless population — up 16 percent in the past year — has strained the bus system and led to complaints about rider safety.
OTOH, Seattle for its part keeps building one 40-story tower after another as Big Tech continues to gobble up Big chunks of space. That isn't Denver. Denver's growth which has its own designated blog is better characterized as Infill.

Other than the proposed BRT-enhanced bus service along East Colfax I suspect RTD will stay in a holding pattern for the next five years or so and perhaps that's best.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 8:39 PM

Mid-year Update: East Colfax BRT

According to Denver's website:
2019+
• Design and Environmental work; begin process to seek federal funding

In some respects this is probably the most tedious and important phase. Once they've finished with this work product they'll present it to the public which will include holding 'show and tell' neighborhood presentations. Ofc, this also takes time and includes a 90 day windows for public feedback.

Pending FTA project and funding approvals, final design and implementation looks to be a couple of years away.

On a positive funding note:

https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/news...budget/557607/
Quote:
The legislation provides $13.5 billion in funding to public transit and billions more for infrastructure and railroad improvements... The projected budget is $6 billion more than the 2019 level, and $17.3 billion more than the president's 2020 budget request.
This came from the House and still needs to go through the Senate; regardless of final numbers this bill among a bevy of other ones will get packaged into one huge Omnibus bill that the President has no control over other than to sign or veto.

Note: the FTA has been funding many BRT projects around the country. The nice-easy part is they're not nearly as costly as rail projects.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:38 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Here is a light rail update for you, CIRRUS

https://imgur.com/gallery/K09XV5i

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 12:02 AM

Longmont folks be bitching about the choo-choo again......

https://www.9news.com/article/news/l...b-eca46ef8344e

I mean.... if Longmont wants to pull out of the RTD district, can they? Also, if they were to do that, do they realize they would need to fund any RTD services they receive now on their own (I.E. the BOLT that runs from Boulder to Longmont)? I would be surprised if Boulder backed out of RTD since so many people use the FF.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post

https://www.9news.com/article/news/l...b-eca46ef8344e

I mean.... if Longmont wants to pull out of the RTD district, can they? Also, if they were to do that, do they realize they would need to fund any RTD services they receive now on their own (I.E. the BOLT that runs from Boulder to Longmont)? I would be surprised if Boulder backed out of RTD since so many people use the FF.
I suspect this is really two questions; I assume they're obligated to pay the four-tenths percent FasTracks tax. I'd also guess they could pull out of the RTD district ie the six-tenths of percent sales tax. I also assume that FasTracks is why RTD is currently planning BRT along the Diagonal Highway.

It has occurred to me that Metro Denver could at some point come up with a metro transportation plan-proposal that did exclude Boulder County including any new proposed funding.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I don't blame them. "Let us increase your taxes and you'll get a train to Boulder and Denver." They pay the taxes but get no train.

I'm torn about it. On the one hand, when you look at projected ridership and projected cost, it's a waste. On the other hand, the voters voted for it, so by law, they should get it.

I love the idea of the train so much. I'm sorry but buses are buses and trains are trains. For whatever reason, trains rock and buses suck. But my fantasy of a train connecting Denver to Boulder (which has been rolling around in my head since I was a kid -- long before FasTracks) died when I found out the B Line won't even go to the part of Boulder it would need to go to in order to be useful. "Wait, that's where the train would go? What's the point of that? No one's going to use it!"

I'm torn.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 7:47 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Honestly, it doesn't make a lot of sense for a city like Longmont to be part of RTD anyway.

It would probably make more sense for Longmont, Loveland, Ft Collins, and Greeley to join up and create their own regional agency.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Honestly, it doesn't make a lot of sense for a city like Longmont to be part of RTD anyway.

It would probably make more sense for Longmont, Loveland, Ft Collins, and Greeley to join up and create their own regional agency.
Longmont is by far Boulder's biggest bedroom community. Nearly 20% of all commuters to Boulder come from Longmont. By comparison, only about 30% come from Louisville, Lafayette, and Broomfield combined (about 10% each). I would be extremely surprised to see Longmont and Boulder go down different paths when it comes to regional bus service.

Fort Collins' TransFort is actually already running the FLEX commuter bus from Fort Collins to Boulder, so the layering of different providers has already begun. The current arrangement with RTD is that the FLEX cannot pick up riders in Longmont on its way to Boulder, and cannot drop off Longmont riders on the way back to FTC, so as not to be competing for riders with RTD's BOLT. It does, however, allow riders to board and alight when going between Longmont and FTC.

I didn't see anyone in that article talking about withdrawal from RTD - Boulder has already decided that this would likely end up being a lengthy and unproductive political process. Discussions in Boulder have centered more around the idea of either setting up a Boulder County RTA along with neighboring communities, or else contracting with an existing provider (like VIA, which runs Boulder's HOP) to take over routes like The SKIP, or future regional routes like the conversion of The BOLT to BRT. Longmont's interests are not identical to Boulder's (they don't have the Flatiron Flyer), but I would imagine that it will participate in whatever regional system Boulder County decides on. I could imagine Longmont also choosing to partner on additional service with TransFort as time goes on.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 10:08 PM

Dang.

RTD’s light-rail ridership plummets 13.7 percent in the first part of the year
Agency can’t pinpoint single reason, but fares have increased and on-time performance has dropped

This comment caught my eye since it echos some the sentiment that can be found in this thread:

Quote:
RTD Director Natalie Menten said the less-than-rapid speed of light-rail trains on RTD’s system isn’t helping boost ridership. It takes 40 minutes to travel 12 miles from Golden to Denver on the W-Line.

“Its slow travel time is a consistent complaint since it opened in 2013,” Menten said. “The Aurora line (R-Line) is just as bad.”

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 4:27 PM

Who put the fly in the ointment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
This is just awful. It's even worse since the first (quarter) part of last year was also down which means the comparable should have been easier - although this reporting period may be 4 or 5 months as apposed to 3.

Random Thoughts

1) A glitch in counting?
Srsly a drop of 5% is significant; a drop of 13% is very strange.

2) Retail Fare Increases
I recall reading it's not unusual after fare hikes for ridership to drop off for about six months before stabilizing and then climbing again.

3) Biting the hand that feeds you
Those with more discretionary $'s who could easily absorb the fare increase also have the discretion to rationalize driving or utilizing Uber/Lyft (more frequently) instead.

4) Speed?
I'm sure the slow-go trains are a factor with many but this isn't something new.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 8:14 PM

If you look at APTA's summary for all modes by transit agency for Q1 (page 15 for RTD), these numbers scream "we fixed a counting error"

If you compare Q4 2018 Bus to Q1 2019 Bus ridership, there is a ~12% increase. I don't believe bus ridership magically increased double digits in a quarter. It was steadily down each quarter last year.

They needed to ask "how did bus ridership surge so much, with no improvements?" but of course went with the clickbait of "light rail ridership plummets"

In terms of transit trips generated, a double digit gain in bus ridership more than offsets the fall in light rail ridership.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrturbo View Post
If you look at APTA's summary for all modes by transit agency for Q1 (page 15 for RTD), these numbers scream "we fixed a counting error"

If you compare Q4 2018 Bus to Q1 2019 Bus ridership, there is a ~12% increase. I don't believe bus ridership magically increased double digits in a quarter. It was steadily down each quarter last year.

They needed to ask "how did bus ridership surge so much, with no improvements?" but of course went with the clickbait of "light rail ridership plummets"

In terms of transit trips generated, a double digit gain in bus ridership more than offsets the fall in light rail ridership.
WOW - Your First Post was so outstanding you've already earned your Gold Key.

Now that I've pulled up the numbers, the only thing I'd clarify (assuming I understand it correctly) is that last column, although it says "quarterly change" is actually a year over year, quarterly change. Either which way the numbers are strange. The total of all modes then was actually up 4.44% YOY for the first three months.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:21 PM

I took Q1 2019 Bus total trips (17,413,900) divided by Q4 2018 total bus trips (15,526,300). I get 1.12,so up 12% from Q4 to Q1. They really should include previous quarter along with previous year's same quarter.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:37 PM

One key paragraph I see in this article is:
"While light-rail ridership has fallen, RTD said ridership has jumped on bus routes, commuter rail lines such as the University of Colorado A-Line, and the Flatiron Flyer bus service between Denver and Boulder. Still, overall ridership across RTD’s entire system fell 1.8 percent from early 2018 to early 2019."

Folks need to stop clamoring for a train all the time and realize that you can get equal outcomes for much less money a-la the Flatiron Flyer system. I know I sound like a broken record, but when I hear how long it takes to get from Golden to Union Station on the W line, I laugh. It takes me literally no more than 35 minutes to get from Union Station to Boulder on the FF2. I think this is why it's growing in ridership, because as 36 gets slowly more congested, people finally give up and start taking the bus if they go to school in Boulder or work up there.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 12:10 AM

According to APTA RTD average weekday numbers for the first quarter for all modes increased from 376,100 in 2018 to 393,800 in 2019. Trips for the first quarter 2018 were 24,061,600 vs. first quarter 2019 25,141,400. I don't see the decline.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrturbo View Post
I took Q1 2019 Bus total trips (17,413,900) divided by Q4 2018 total bus trips (15,526,300). I get 1.12,so up 12% from Q4 to Q1. They really should include previous quarter along with previous year's same quarter.
Gotcha... smart
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPVLIVE View Post
According to APTA RTD average weekday numbers for the first quarter for all modes increased from 376,100 in 2018 to 393,800 in 2019. Trips for the first quarter 2018 were 24,061,600 vs. first quarter 2019 25,141,400. I don't see the decline.
The anomaly was the steep drop in light rail; rail ridership had been running half of bus ridership.

Some long-time Detroit Street residents upset about proposed bike lane

They see bike riders go by; it's not a problem; everything's fine just the way it is.
Quote:
A recent post by one of Chavez’s neighbors on Nextdoor about the proposed changes spurred dozens of comments from people who were opposed to the changes and worried about what it would mean for them

“I really don’t like any of the options that they have proposed, so I would just say that it should just stay the way it is,” Chavez said.

“It would just be a terrible burden on us,” Ross said.

Last edited by TakeFive; Jul 20, 2019 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 4:17 AM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Gotcha... smart

The anomaly was the steep drop in light rail; rail ridership had been running half of bus ridership.

Some long-time Detroit Street residents upset about proposed bike lane

They see bike riders go by; it's not a problem; everything's fine just the way it is.
Wait a minute...
Detroit is a 3rd world country. I'm surprised they even have money for paved roads!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West