HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 4:15 PM

I can't believe that people are complaining about the library. It's a fantastic building and an unbelievable improvement over its predecessor. Do you remember the kid's section in the basement? The inadequate seating, washrooms, stacks in the back with no natural light?

If you spend some time in the new library you will see that people love it.

Of course, the stairs (including the unusual design) are intentionally situated to encourage use. This is called active design and it is meant to help lazy, inactive people (let's face it, most Haligonians, most Canadians) choose to walk a bit. The elevators are there for those who need them.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
I can't believe that people are complaining about the library. It's a fantastic building and an unbelievable improvement over its predecessor. Do you remember the kid's section in the basement? The inadequate seating, washrooms, stacks in the back with no natural light?
$60 MILLION PUBLIC DOLLARS is why.

Quote:
Of course, the stairs (including the unusual design) are intentionally situated to encourage use. This is called active design and it is meant to help lazy, inactive people (let's face it, most Haligonians, most Canadians) choose to walk a bit. The elevators are there for those who need them.
"Encourage" and "help" translate to "force". Just wait for the first senior who tumbles down that main staircase.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 4:49 PM
Volatile Pacivist

How can it translate to force when the elevators are freely accessible to everyone?

I find the stairs a great focal feature. Adds architectural interest, gives great views, and an awesome opportunity for exercise. I know if someone is desperate enough for something to complain about they'll find something, but surely you can find a more realistic complaint than this. What's next, it should have been under 3 stories since the height of the building will cause seniors to faint due to the thinner air at the top?

Last edited by Nouvellecosse; Dec 19, 2014 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
$60 MILLION PUBLIC DOLLARS is why.

"Encourage" and "help" translate to "force". Just wait for the first senior who tumbles down that main staircase.
So the money is spent...the building is built. What exactly is complaining about it going to achieve again? Other than nothing?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
So the money is spent...the building is built. What exactly is complaining about it going to achieve again? Other than nothing?
A lesson for future politicians that public money is precious and should not be wasted on frills.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 5:45 PM

Quote:
A lesson for future politicians that public money is precious and should not be wasted on frills.
and yet you constantly complain that roads need to be needlessly expanded when they dont

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 6:03 PM

Is there a reading room in the new library, a quiet space to do some reading and research; or better yet, is there an on-line floor plan?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 6:17 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Is there a reading room in the new library, a quiet space to do some reading and research; or better yet, is there an on-line floor plan?
There are some rather nice private booths on the 4th floor at the south end.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 6:19 PM

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
and yet you constantly complain that roads need to be needlessly expanded when they dont
You are confusing "roads" with "bike lanes" which are largely unneeded.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 7:53 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Ironic isn't it how "fiscal conservatives" don't want to spend money on anything but the most expensive and least efficient infrastructure options. A true fiscal conservative wouldn't want to spend public money on anything but the least expensive, most efficient options. In reality, it has nothing to do with conservatism or caring about responsible spending and all about "I personally like option A more than option B even though it's more wasteful so I need to make up some catchy platitudes to support it"

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 9:01 PM

Keep on beating that old dogma.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 9:24 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I suppose writing if off as a dogma makes sense. There really isn't anything else you can say as there just isn't any logical justification to your stance...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Keith, you should really stop commenting on this until you've visited the library (if you ever do). You are truly making yourself look like a foolish curmudgeon who has an axe to grind rather than contributing anything to the discussion.

I finally got a chance to go in the library today. The first thing I saw when I entered? The stairs in front of me, approximately 40 feet away. The second thing I saw? THREE large elevators, OUT IN THE OPEN, just off to the right, approximately 20 feet away. The elevators are not hidden. They're not second class. In fact, they're probably overdone. Anyone who has mobility issues will have absolutely ZERO challenges getting to where they want to go. And for everyone else it's easy to get some much needed exercise climbing the stairs (and lots of people were doing it).

Okay now that that's out of the way... onto my impressions.

Number one impression: the new library is AWESOME. It's truly a gem for Halifax. It was full of people who were really enjoying themselves.

Number two impression: The "living room" on the cantilevered part is a great space. I had a big stupid grin on my face when I was in there.

Number three impression: It's not very noisy. I've heard people complain about this, and I have no idea where they're coming from. No, it's not "hear-a-pin-drop-quiet" like some stuffy libraries of old, but I would certainly have no problem sitting there doing some mildly intensive reading.

Number four impression: The interior finishes are a little cheap, but not as bad as this forum lead me to believe. The floors are engineered wood, not laminate. I don't give a rat's ass about the ceiling (it's fine for a ceiling). The exposed columns are fine. The one place where I really felt cheap was on the rubber stair treads. If I had a time machine I'd go back and tell them to ditch the printing on the glass and put the money into making the stairs look nicer.

Number five impression: I agree with comments about the exit to the roof patio. That one was not well thought out. However, the patio itself is great. Really nice views! Though maybe I should pretend I didn't say that because commenters on The Examiner were already calling for viewplanes from the library to be established.

Number six impression: It doessss feel a little empty compared to what I'm used to in a library. Certainly books are not the only focus. But I think that this might be more of a reflection of the shifting role of libraries. I'll probably get used to in.

Closing thoughts: Again, this place is awesome. I'll be back to use it a lot. Any nitpicks I have are minor. I'd say they got the place 95% right, and I'm fine with that. I think this was absolutely a great place to spend tax dollars. Could we have got a warehouse for books in half the space and half the cost? Yes. But this building is and will be more than just a book warehouse. It's truly a public institution and an cultural anchor for that part of the city. Halifax is much better for it.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I finally got a chance to go in the library today. The first thing I saw when I entered? The stairs in front of me, approximately 40 feet away. The second thing I saw? THREE large elevators, OUT IN THE OPEN, just off to the right, approximately 20 feet away. The elevators are not hidden. They're not second class. In fact, they're probably overdone. Anyone who has mobility issues will have absolutely ZERO challenges getting to where they want to go. And for everyone else it's easy to get some much needing exercise climbing the stairs (and lots of people were doing it).
My biggest problem so far, as a person in a wheelchair, has been the toilets that flush multiple times before I've even done anything. I also wish the rooftop patio had a Spring Garden view (as well as the sea-ward view), instead of just being a dead end.

Other than that, I love it.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Number five impression: I agree with comments about the exit to the roof patio. That one was not well thought out. However, the patio itself is great. Really nice views! Though maybe I should pretend I didn't say that because commenters on The Examiner were already calling for viewplanes from the library to be established.
I found myself thinking while I was sitting in the living room that a lot of the views of the citadel would be blocked once the building across the street is developed. I have a feeling that this issue will come up in the public discourse around that redevelopment once it gets going.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I found myself thinking while I was sitting in the living room that a lot of the views of the citadel would be blocked once the building across the street is developed. I have a feeling that this issue will come up in the public discourse around that redevelopment once it gets going.
Honestly, who cares? Who is looking at the Citadel from up there? A green hill? I'm looking at the water, the narrows, the rolling hills in the distance.

That's all we need -- a "Save the View" movement for a building completed yesterday.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 8:32 PM

So all these people who are so able on the steps cannot walk over a couple of blocks to look at the hill.
Must everything be about the view?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 8:33 PM

Quote:
You are confusing "roads" with "bike lanes" which are largely unneeded.
NO.You were just posting the other day that Chebucto needs to be widened which is absolutely a fools thought process for wasteful money spending that isn't needed. You're just a narcissistic on here that doesn't see the needs of others expect for your own wants without any intercultural merits to them.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 8:50 PM

Quote:
NO.You were just posting the other day that Chebucto needs to be widened which is absolutely a fools thought process for wasteful money spending that isn't needed. You're just a narcissistic on here that doesn't see the needs of others expect for your own wants without any intercultural merits to them.
Piffle. I attempt to reflect the views and needs of the majority of people who are paying taxes in HRM, not those who would like to dip into the pot to fund their own pet projects that serve only a few. Things like bike lanes at the expense of badly-needed road upgrades are a good example of that but the library itself is another, on a much larger scale. Yes, it is a magnificent edifice. Did we need a magnificent edifice on this site? I would say no, but Council knuckled under to pressure. Hopefully we will learn from that mistake. Never piss off those paying the bills because someday they will toss you out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth