HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 9:24 PM
BANNED

I was downtown on Saturday and it was hoppin'! Even though none of the SB venues were open, there was definitely a buzz about the area. And the fact that they've entirely covered all those empty lots gives it a very dense feeling. The wrapping of some of the buildings downtown looks awesome as well as the giant billboard/posters everywhere. Quite impressed.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 4:12 PM

Nice idea + a little bit of insight regarding the next phase of Taylor Place.

http://downtowndevil.com/2015/02/10/...-taylor-place/

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 5:02 PM

Hopefully, with this space and the future Central Station apartments, Civic Space will begin to feel like more of a community asset than an ASU piece of property.

I love the idea, and think the City of Phoenix needs to step up to the plate and allow similar solutions for their glut of city-owned vacant land downtown.

Lastly, I kind of hate the design of having 3 same-height towers adjacent to each other. I'd much rather the focus be on a taller residential tower at the corner of the Law School with market rate apartments that cater toward students, but also recent grads. Adding a 3rd Taylor Place really adds very little to the built environment and to the skyline, and only pushes away the chance of additional residential to support ASU.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 6:05 AM

Biosciences Building FAA permit shows a height of 182'...that seems pretty tall, and taller than anything else on that campus right now, right?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 12:56 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Biosciences Building FAA permit shows a height of 182'...that seems pretty tall, and taller than anything else on that campus right now, right?
Yes, it will be 10 stories. The tallest structure there right now is 6 stories.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 6:30 PM

UofA Cancer Center

Is it just my imagination or as it taken longer to do the landscaping and sidewalks for this Cancer Center than it took to build the entire building. What is the hold up are these guys union guys or something? LOL

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 7:37 PM

The latest progress on Arizona Center for Law and Society h/t Anne Ryman

The W. P. Carey Foundation has made a $3 million gift to recognize John Samuel Armstrong’s legacy at the ASU’s Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, allowing for the largest hall in the new building to be named the Armstrong Great Hall. Currently, the College of Law is housed in Armstrong Hall on the ASU Tempe campus.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 9:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Is it just my imagination or as it taken longer to do the landscaping and sidewalks for this Cancer Center than it took to build the entire building. What is the hold up are these guys union guys or something? LOL
Well, non-union workers would get it done sooner in theory, but you get what you pay for...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Well, non-union workers would get it done sooner in theory, but you get what you pay for...
That has got to be the lamest excuse

Its just sidewalk landscaping

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
That has got to be the lamest excuse

Its just sidewalk landscaping
It seems to me it may be more that landscaping. It could be utilities and management of gasses, etc. It looked like there were a lot of utility boxes included in the exterior of the building so I'm guessing it has more to do with that than just some gravel and cacti.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 8:01 PM

Cancer center landscaping or whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
It seems to me it may be more that landscaping. It could be utilities and management of gasses, etc. It looked like there were a lot of utility boxes included in the exterior of the building so I'm guessing it has more to do with that than just some gravel and cacti.
Whatever the hell they are doing or not doing it sure is taking a hell of long time. Can they at least put the signage up? WTF?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 9:30 PM

They are probably stalling until the parking garage is done. Relax people.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 5:54 PM

New tower crane for the next academic and research building at 7th St. and Fillmore.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
New tower crane for the next academic and research building at 7th St. and Fillmore.

For the new 10 story UA medical building? The renderings look really nice cant wait for it to go up!

http://phoenixmed.arizona.edu/sites/...BPB-render.jpg

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 5:56 PM

The Cancer Center has made quite a (good) impact visually, IMO.

I still it's going to be a bit awkward having large fortress-like medical buildings directly adjacent to an arts/residential district. I really wish they had included some retail/flex office space on the ground level to soften the transition; of course, I believe that was the intention for the garage until the developer got away with nixing the commercial component. There has to be demand for fast-casual restaurants with all of the office workers, soon-to-be hospital visitors, and all of the new residents coming soon nearby. And, things like a Pharmacy, GNC, Health Clinic, Gift Shop/Florist, Spa, etc. would all be appropriate for the medical district, while able to be used by the public.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 10:07 PM

Science Buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
The Cancer Center has made quite a (good) impact visually, IMO.

I still it's going to be a bit awkward having large fortress-like medical buildings directly adjacent to an arts/residential district. I really wish they had included some retail/flex office space on the ground level to soften the transition; of course, I believe that was the intention for the garage until the developer got away with nixing the commercial component. There has to be demand for fast-casual restaurants with all of the office workers, soon-to-be hospital visitors, and all of the new residents coming soon nearby. And, things like a Pharmacy, GNC, Health Clinic, Gift Shop/Florist, Spa, etc. would all be appropriate for the medical district, while able to be used by the public.
Just get em built they can worry about the retail later. There are a lot more medical buildings coming and it's a school there is plenty of adjacent lots and spaces for retail. I am just glad the City of Phoenix UofA and ASU are building just let her rip.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
For the new 10 story UA medical building? The renderings look really nice cant wait for it to go up!

http://phoenixmed.arizona.edu/sites/...BPB-render.jpg
The Cancer Center, along with the new ASU Law School, will be two of the best examples of modern architecture in AZ when they're finished IMO. It's a shame that the Cancer Center blew its aesthetic appeal with the canopies and UofA signage All three are huge wins for Downtown and the potential for midrise residential.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Just get em built they can worry about the retail later. There are a lot more medical buildings coming and it's a school there is plenty of adjacent lots and spaces for retail. I am just glad the City of Phoenix UofA and ASU are building just let her rip.
It's a lack of long-term vision that keeps downtown Phoenix from becoming a major urban hub. They've essentially created a giant dead zone with this campus with the mono-use designs and lack of any mix of uses aside from office and classroom space. What benefit does the campus do if everyone who works on it goes home immediately after work, and everyone who lives nearby avoids it because there is nothing of use to them there?

The empty lots in the area are almost entirely dedicated to future Biomedical projects so, no, retail can't just be built elsewhere. And, even if it could, it doesn't change the fact the campus is poorly connected to its surroundings.

Granted, not every building needed to be mixed use, but especially as they build closer and closer to Roosevelt Row, there should have been some effort made to integrate these buildings into downtown.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 10:44 PM

SABR Moves Downtown

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...oves-into.html

This is very cool, but how great would it be in the ASU Athletic District? This, along with USA basketball are big misses for the district.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 8:07 PM

I forget. As I walked about downtown this weekend, I was curious about the new ASU Law School. It takes up a little more than 1/2 - 3/4 of the block. Is there a plan for the rest of the block? I forget if there was. ???????

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest