HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
All-weather road set for east side of lake
Construction on first 90 km to start this year

By: Bruce Owen

Robinson, the area's MLA, said comparisons will be wrongly made by critics that if the province is allowing roads to be built, why doesn't it allow a new hydro-electric transmission line be built down the east side of the lake. The Doer government has picked the more costly option to build the massive line called BiPole III down the west side of the province in a bid to preserve the boreal forest as an United Nations for world heritage site.

Robinson and Lemieux said a hydro line does not provide any permanent benefit to the people in the area, including electricity, while a road allows them easier access to go shopping or make doctor's appointment.

"This region is probably the most isolated and most costly in terms of food," Robinson said.

Late last year the province introduced legislation giving the region's bands unprecedented power to plan and manage their traditional lands. It would specify what kind of development -- roads, logging, mining, lodges -- can go on what land and what areas should remain untouched.

bruce.owen@freepress.mb.ca
What's wrong to compare the road development with the hydro line. Both are going through the Boreal forest that is up for being a UNESCO site. Power lines have less of an impact then roads do, so if the road is allowed the lines should be aswell. Power lines don't create road kill or have sand and salt runoff from when the roads need to be taken care of in the winter. Power lines don't add to the polution like that of a diesel truck chugging down the highways.

So is their only defence against any comparison that of the long term benefit to the residents in the area? Well that's an easy argument to get over, how about access to more reliable power and continued low rates for these people as well because having the lines go on the east side they help save Hydro millions of dollars. Also hydro would have most likely had programs in place to provide jobs, such as lines workers etc. allowing individuals to earn a great income and still be close to their families.

I say yes to the road and yes to hydro lines. To quote one of the best lines from a sporting event in winnipeg "East Side Rocks, West Side Sucks"

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:31 PM
Heart of the Continent

If they build the line on the east side, they have to make revenue sharing agreements with every band along the way. It will take years and cost a lot. I think that is the real reason it is going on the west side.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 9:45 PM

Well then state it is for those reasons that this will not be going ahead, if this means those native bands on the east side are demanding too much money or if they officially will delay the cost then that should be public record. However burrying our heads in the sands and ignoring the problem is not the answer.

You could even think about it like this,( A little simplistic but you get the idea) take the cost savings ( I heard something like 300 million) and put it in a government secured investment like a GIC, take the proceeds from that and divide it amongst the native bands. That would be the maximum number that hydro could negotiate to. If they want more then they get nothing, but make the negotiations public so that the people know what they are missing out on if their leaders are too greedy.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 10:33 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreattait View Post
If they want more then they get nothing

And that means we can't build on their traditional land and we have a line that goes half way down the lake and can never be finished.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 7:03 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Morden Research Station will be modernized
CJOB News Team reporting
5/9/2009

The Morden Research Station has received 250-thousand dollars from the federal government to modernize the facility..
Portage - Lisgar M-P Candice Hoeppner says in addition to driving agricultural research and keeping the food supply safe, the government investment will quickly bring economic stimulus to the region.

In Budget 2009, Canada's Economic Action Plan, the federal government committed to an accelerated investment program to provide $250 million, over the next two years, to modernize federal labs..

The funding will modernize the growth control room at the Station. It's used by scientists to develop a new type of wheat -- resistant to a wheat stem rust that has the potential to devastate wheat crops.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 8:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Morden Research Station will be modernized
CJOB News Team reporting
5/9/2009

The Morden Research Station has received 250-thousand dollars from the federal government to modernize the facility..
Portage - Lisgar M-P Candice Hoeppner says in addition to driving agricultural research and keeping the food supply safe, the government investment will quickly bring economic stimulus to the region.

In Budget 2009, Canada's Economic Action Plan, the federal government committed to an accelerated investment program to provide $250 million, over the next two years, to modernize federal labs..

The funding will modernize the growth control room at the Station. It's used by scientists to develop a new type of wheat -- resistant to a wheat stem rust that has the potential to devastate wheat crops.
Great news for the region. The Morden area is so beautiful, with the Pembina Valley so close by, and it's growing quickly too!

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 10:12 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce View Post
Great news for the region. The Morden area is so beautiful, with the Pembina Valley so close by, and it's growing quickly too!
The Morden/Winkler region sems to be doing well. I am looking forward to the two cities will eventually grow into each other. I know it won't be anytime soon, but it would make a good sized regional centre. The way those two cities are growing they may push up the population list of the province.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 4:41 AM
Capitalist

Lets hear it for Winklden.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 5:17 AM

http://www.risedevelopments.com/

finally have some new development up on the hill in Weyburn. In the paper they said that they will start with the water piping and road building at the end of June. and could start building houses as soon as august and the condos in 2 years or something. it's like a 2-3 year plan.

i'm very excited for this as it brings in new life and possibillities to the hill which probably hasn't seen any new development in a good twenty years...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 9:46 PM
high expectations

I think the floodway is progressing well

this was taken May 29th, 2009.

source - http://www.joconl.com/article/id33939

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 8:04 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Affordable Housing Project For Brandon
CJOB News Team reporting
6/22/2009

A vacant warehouse in Brandon is being converted into 58 units of affordable housing. The project is worth 6.8 million dollars. All three levels of government are involved along with the Canadian Mental Health Association, Habitat for Humanity and the Brandon Friendship Centre. The Massey building will be converted into 39 rental units, 14 condominiums, and five emergency shelter units.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 8:09 AM
Youth of a Nation

I recently went for a trip to Thompson one of the very first things I noticed was the immediate Highway Project sign. Along the way to Thompson there was a total of three (3) signs were construction zones were indicated. I was impressed nearly the entire stretch from Grand Rapids to Ponton was smooth and was a total comfortable ride.

One thing is for sure ive never seen so many RCMP in such a small city. Lots of arresting around Nickle Days I tell ya. First got pulled over outside of Ponton then in town as walking to my destination a dude is on his knees in a field was being arrested at either gun or taser point. My buddies also indicated here seen people being arrested or about to be.

Anyways heres a few pictures of random/interesting things.

My brother-in-laws silver/metallic Corvette.

Heres there Skate Park Project.

Wolves...

UCN New Home (University College of the North)

UCN Current

Southwood Condo/Apartments

A Seniors Home by the Hospital

New AFM(Addictions Foundation of Manitoba)

Old SAAN building which is now Staples Business Depot.

Spiritway Walkway System

The Brick

The Element

Days Inn

Boston Pizza

Scotia Bank

Ill be there again this upcoming weekend take some more pictures.
-Quiznos Sub
-Tim Hortons
-Rockface Sculpture
-Burntwood Condo/Apartment Site (future development)
-Transit Buses
-Better Quality samples of the wolves

My Brother-in-law was also suggesting on the possibility in getting a Burger King Franchise there.

*note the camera i was using the shutter didnt work properly and i didnt notice till a bit later on, hence the black area. Next time will use SLR camera that i only knew about after i had already been out and taken pictures.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 12:28 PM
Has been

Canal project in Wakaw delayed

By David Hutton, The StarPhoenixJune 22, 2009

The $200-million canal development that was to transform Wakaw into a resort community comparable to Banff is still on hold due to the struggling national economy, the town's mayor said Friday.

But Mayor Ed Kidd said he expects the project to be given a green light again "within a few weeks."

"The project went on hold when the economy flipped the wrong way," Kidd said. "The economy was weak and nobody was purchasing property. They felt the timing wasn't right."

The proposal would see a one-kilometre canal to link the town to nearby Wakaw Lake and the subsequent development of housing, a hotel-spa-convention centre, marina and golf course. It has been under consideration since the 1990s.

The developer, Stylo Developments of Calgary, stopped construction last fall, Kidd said.

Wakaw is about 90 kilometres northeast of Saskatoon and about 60 km south of Prince Albert. The resort development will be able to draw on a substantial part of the provincial population and is also expected to attract visitors and buyers from out of province.

In recent talks with the developer, Kidd said they've indicated the project will likely proceed.

The stable provincial economy and consistent demand for homes and cottages in the area bode well for the town when the economy recovers, the mayor said.

"The times are changing. The economy is better and stronger. I've been having in discussions with them. They're back looking at it again for next fall.

"It's been disappointing, but on the other hand you want the project to succeed. We've waited a year so another year isn't the end of the world. We'd rather wait than see it fail."

Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
The $200-million canal development that was to transform Wakaw into a resort community comparable to Banff
Huh?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 5:51 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Plans For Lake Wpg
CJOB News Team reporting
6/25/2009

The Federal government is entrusting 14 organizations with a plan to clean up Lake Winnipeg. Provencher MP Vic Toews was at Oak Hammock Marsh Thursday to talk about the 18-million dollar initiative:

Ducks Unlimited is getting 400-thousand dollars of that money. Toews hopes the projects and studies assist in reducing phosphate, nitrogen and algae levels in the lake.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 6:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wha no pics of pisu falls come on

and not mention of this random alien come on

so it does not do this muskegy bounce anymore wait till after the winter

anyhow make enuff to do a photo thread man even grab stuff from the 8hr drive

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 11:52 PM
Nigel

Wow. Looks like Thompson is really growing; Staples, The Brick, etc. I like what I see. Now all we need to do is clean up the scum in town and were set!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 12:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

thompson has had alot of those stores for ages already

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 12:42 AM
Nigel

Well, it's been about 10 years since I've been to Thompson, so it has definitely changed over that time.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 12:43 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yea i havent been up there since 05 dam i miss my cabin

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 1:20 AM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
and not mention of this random alien come on
The green monster. He got married a couple years ago...wish I had my camera to show you, but someone put an archway, dressed him up and added a wife for him.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan