HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 12:38 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Vancouver is in a video game

Driveclub (a game for the PS4) just added city tracks, and Vancouver is represented. They definitely take liberties to the city layout and buildings, but they got the weather spot on.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 12:51 AM
retro_orange

Since when do we have so many beautiful stone arches

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 1:05 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I see a version of Hotel Europa, Harbour centre in the distance, and the gastown light standards. But there is more different then there is similar. Are they advertising that track as Vancouver?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 1:15 AM

The amount of viaducts in the game would give Vision Vancouver a heart attack.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I see a version of Hotel Europa, Harbour centre in the distance, and the gastown light standards. But there is more different then there is similar. Are they advertising that track as Vancouver?
They are advertising it as "Port of Vancouver". They have quite a few tracks in BC, and all of them take visual liberties.

Vancouver

Video Link

Sinclair Pass, Kootneys

Video Link

Lytton, BC

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 1:26 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Interesting and thanks for posting. If anyone knows a game especially a racing one that is truly representative of Vancouver let me know. Hoping as time passes someone is able to import google street views into a game for multiple cities.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 1:41 AM
retro_orange

They should do a track through New Westminster with all the hills.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 1:57 AM

The one labeled "Kootnays" is called Cayoosh once you press play which I believe is the Squamish lillooet area.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
The one labeled "Kootnays" is called Cayoosh once you press play which I believe is the Squamish lillooet area.

Ah. They labeled it incorrectly, I guess. Here is the Kootneys' Sinclair Pass track. Does it look anything like the real thing?

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 2:03 AM
See ya down under, mates

Thanks, I actually bought the psvr version of this just to see the Vancouver maps but the demo made me so nauseous that I never opened it. Ended up selling the headset too, not quite ready for prime time imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Interesting and thanks for posting. If anyone knows a game especially a racing one that is truly representative of Vancouver let me know. Hoping as time passes someone is able to import google street views into a game for multiple cities.
Wouldn't count on it any time soon, apparently Watch Dogs was supposed to be set in Montreal but they were forced to change it to Chicago to maximize profits. Still had hills and everything.

Watch Dogs 2 looks like a really good representation of San Francisco though (out this month).

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 3:36 AM

Wow, talk about taking some creative liberties! That Vancouver track pretty much only has few real buildings and the mountains, with everything else being fantasy. Too bad, as even the real street grid would make for a beautiful track. Imagine dricing through the BC Place tunnel, around False Creek, over Granville Bridge into the city and hitting all the thousands of potholes on Water Street...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Thanks, I actually bought the psvr version of this just to see the Vancouver maps but the demo made me so nauseous that I never opened it. Ended up selling the headset too, not quite ready for prime time imo.
That's shame to hear, as the reviews have been quite positive. I have been fighting with myself whether to get the damn thing or not. Still quite expensive, so I am waiting to see if Black Friday will see any discounts.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
They should do a track through New Westminster with all the hills.
To make it more realistic they should barricade the Pattullo and have the mayor standing in the middle of the road with a sign that says "SLOW DOWN!"

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 3:47 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Have a secret option where you can bulldoze onto the skytrain track and lower your steel wheels and floor it over the guideway.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 4:10 AM

Have an option to drive on the Canada Place roof.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 5:31 AM
SkyTrain Nut

This reminds me that Vancouver also had a level in Tony Hawk's Underground.

Video Link

A lot more noticeable landmarks....but apparently the Pacific Coliseum is directly across the street from Robson Square.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 5:42 AM
loafing in lotusland

They got the port and harbour bang on. Vancouver's known for its rain and mountains, and they got pretty equal representation. lol.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 7:27 AM
See ya down under, mates

Sadly this still doesn't even go down as the worst representation of Vancouver in video games - Mass Effect 3 (made by Bioware in Edmonton) had it as the earth's government headquarters and then destroyed it in the first scene:

Video Link

At least North Van finally built something higher than 20 storeys though am i rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
That's shame to hear, as the reviews have been quite positive. I have been fighting with myself whether to get the damn thing or not. Still quite expensive, so I am waiting to see if Black Friday will see any discounts.
It's a great experience, great for parties and non-gamers, but I just couldn't play anything for more than an hour without wishing I hadn't because I was woozy. Drive Club is especially bad for this, inside the car looks great but the background is super washed out in VR. Much worse than that video.

Plus there are so many 2D games coming out that I just wasn't playing it in my brief moments between shifts. I mean, I have bought three FPSes in the past couple weeks (Battlefield, Call of Duty and Titanfall).

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
At least North Van finally built something higher than 20 storeys though am i rite
So you're saying that in a game franchise full of FTL space travel, galaxy-spanning empires, space stations the size of small countries, tactile holographics, passionate alien romances, and mountain-sized genocidal robot squid - the high rises in North Van were what you found unbelievable?

I get it, though. Seeing Canada Place dwarfed by all those skyscrapers is eerie. And then you watch it all come tumbling down...

Not to worry though. Vancouver will have been destroyed by a combination of climate change and angry Canucks fans by the time the Reapers come around.

Last edited by Migrant_Coconut; Nov 5, 2016 at 9:43 AM. Reason: Couldn't find an image that scaled right

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Ah. They labeled it incorrectly, I guess. Here is the Kootneys' Sinclair Pass track. Does it look anything like the real thing?

Video Link
Well the mountains do look accurate but at ground level it looks like California more or maybe Osoyoosish?? Its not that dry over there in real life.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment