HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Monarchy - Keep or Ditch?
Keep 149 52.28%
Ditch 136 47.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:53 PM

Now the work of change the headings to King. Like Queens Council. It will take longer for the currency change.

Various government print shop will be making changes pretty fast.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:54 PM
Registered Drug User

Huh, Queen Elizabeth died. I'm not particularly a republican simply because I don't see rocking the boat as warranted, but I don't personally care at all. Meh.

I think my only interest in this will be in attempting to gauge just how monarchist the average Canadian is these days. I suspect a lot of people, probably the majority, feel the same way as I do, i.e. contempt for the outdated concept and practice of birthrights but recognizing that there are more important issues to tackle than an anachronistic tradition that probably doesn't hurt anybody.

Still, though. All she did was wave. That's literally all she did.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Irish twitter is indeed showing its whole ass today. I try never to be cruel and really dislike it in others.
Twitter exploded in a cesspool of Fast and the Furious jokes in the wake of Paul Walker’s tragic death, so that was about when I gave up on the internet/Twitter as anything other than a shithole of wonder that could spout from people with no filter.

I may be a bit jaded, though.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Now the work of change the headings to King. Like Queens Council. It will take longer for the currency change.

Various government print shop will be making changes pretty fast.
Like all of the provinces that have a "Court of Queen's Bench".

I suppose the stuff that is already named for the Queen as an honourific will remain.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:57 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Good lord. This is really sad news. Most of us have only had the opportunity to see or hear the wisdom and grace of Queen Elizabeth II, who was commited to her role as the head of the monarchy and critical for being a voice of reason.
It's going to be strange seeing as how we now have a King of England for the first time in 70 years.

I do hope to see a proper set of arrangements made in Ottawa to reflect the mourning period.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I think they are pretty blasé, I have never heard an impassioned opinion, pro or con, in either country.

When I said to my wife that "the Queen is dead", though, she thought I meant Silvia. So "The Queen" as a wording didn't point to London, unlike in a lot of the world.
I was actually in Belgium in 1993 or 1994 when Baudouin I died and Albert II took over.

At the time I was literally flabbergasted at how big a deal it was.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 7:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Somber music on CBC Radio right now. Better get used to it for the mourning period.

Remember the next time you are expected to sing the Royal Anthem, the anthem will begin "God save our gracious King."

This will actually be hard to get right for the next few years.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 7:05 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Huh, Queen Elizabeth died. I'm not particularly a republican simply because I don't see rocking the boat as warranted, but I don't personally care at all. Meh.

I think my only interest in this will be in attempting to gauge just how monarchist the average Canadian is these days. I suspect a lot of people, probably the majority, feel the same way as I do, i.e. contempt for the outdated concept and practice of birthrights but recognizing that there are more important issues to tackle than an anachronistic tradition that probably doesn't hurt anybody.

A very rare instance where we're on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Twitter exploded in a cesspool of Fast and the Furious jokes in the wake of Paul Walker’s tragic death, so that was about when I gave up on the internet/Twitter as anything other than a shithole of wonder that could spout from people with no filter.

I may be a bit jaded, though.
I'd advise not going on Indian, Northern Irish, African, or Caribbean twitter for the next little bit, then.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 7:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Somber music on CBC Radio right now. Better get used to it for the mourning period.

Remember the next time you are expected to sing the Royal Anthem, the anthem will begin "God save our gracious King."

How often are you or we expected to sing the Royal Anthem, anyway?

I haven't heard it in ages on Canadian soil, though I haven't been hanging around Parliament Hill that much. I suppose it's heard there on the odd occasion.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I'd advise not going on Indian, Northern Irish, African, or Caribbean twitter for the next little bit, then.
Good advice.

I get the hating on the British monarchy, I do.

Hating on QEII personally? I get that less, as she’s not George III or something of the like. As a person, she hardly deserves the scorn. What’s the worst thing she has done, really?

Alas, people with no filter be people with no filter.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 7:15 PM

Quote:
I'm old enough to remember coming across coins in my pocket change with George VI and even George V on the obverse. I always thought it exciting when I found them.

Charles belongs on our coinage, but I am open to the idea of placing a different visage on our $20 note.
You don't have to be that old for that to happen I'm 28 and have found a few - maybe 5 or so. But probably all 15 or more years ago.

As long as Charles isn't on my debit card, I won't see much of his (or anyone else's) face when I spend "money".

RIP Queen Elizabeth. Hard to image a world leader managing to remain so respected and respectable over such a long time.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

No, you don't understand the institution at all. Interesting quote from Stephen Harper 9not my fave person) on this attitude:

...In an interview Stephen Harper once had, when he was prime minister, on the subject of the Crown, he said that, “like most Canadians, I was largely indifferent to the Crown.” But then he went on to say that since he held high office, he had come to see its remarkable value. Even more importantly, he added in a somewhat dark aside, “I have looked closely at the alternatives and they scare me.”...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...subtly-shaped/

Perhaps the best example of its value came most recently with her Covid message. Note that there is literally nobody in the American system who could offer this kind of reassurance without the lens of politics clouding the message:

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 7:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
How often are you or we expected to sing the Royal Anthem, anyway?
Most notably - Remembrance Day.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 7:21 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
No, you don't understand the institution at all. Interesting quote from Stephen Harper 9not my fave person) on this attitude:

[I]...In an interview Stephen Harper once had, when he was prime minister, on the subject of the Crown, he said that, “like most Canadians, I was largely indifferent to the Crown.” But then he went on to say that since he held high office, he had come to see its remarkable value. Even more importantly, he added in a somewhat dark aside, “I have looked closely at the alternatives and they scare me.”...
I don't see any point in rocking the boat. Let it continue to diminish in importance and eventually whither away, is what I say.

Quote:
Perhaps the best example of its value came most recently with her Covid message. Note that there is literally nobody in the American system who could offer this kind of reassurance without the lens of politics clouding the message:

Video Link
How many people actually saw this message or cared about it? What ameliorating effect did it actually have? During COVID the queen came up in my thoughts precisely zero times. I daresay I'm part of the majority of Canadians in this regard, though I wouldn't know how to quantify that.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 7:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
This. 10,000 times this.

This is why we separate the Head of State from the Head of Government.

Even an elected (or appointed) ceremonial President would carry baggage that a hereditary Monarch would not.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 7:25 PM

Quote:

How often does this happen in your life???

I'm sure I'd get that line right, as it's the only line I know

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 7:26 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm kind of in between Rousseau and MonctonRad. I do see the value of our current government structure and legislative process, and the hyper local role of the Lieutenant Governors.

But also... if the UK fell off the face of the earth tomorrow, I'm not sure it would impact that structure much. The structure can continue with or without literal interaction with the monarchy in a foreign country.

I'm curious how long Charles with reign. It would be lovely for the United Kingdom to join the rest of the European monarchies in setting a precedent of the monarch abdicating once the heir is good to go.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 7:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Heard from a buddy that Rosemary Barton just noted some citizenship ceremonies had to switch to the King half-way through. I imagine the line "The Queen, her heirs and successors" would cover it even if they didn't.

Reminds me last election here, when our government was being sworn in, with all their accents from all over the island, some reporter from NTV quipped, "Lots of allegiance being sworn to the Queen's hairs and ears today."

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Good advice.

I get the hating on the British monarchy, I do.

Hating on QEII personally? I get that less, as she’s not George III or something of the like. As a person, she hardly deserves the scorn. What’s the worst thing she has done, really?

Alas, people with no filter be people with no filter.
https://twitter.com/SamHersh01/statu...29949901963267

This scrote of a trustafarian seems to not think much of her. It doesn't surprise me with this twitter account as he doesn't know when to button it..but then again that is what twitter is all about.

I was born in the UK and lived there until teens and to me the Queen as a person seemed a fine person, regal, noble and gave a lifetime of service. However, in 2022 in Canada, the monarchy seems to me to be an anachronism of a bygone era and I would hope that Canada cuts a number of the ties to the monarchy. For me, the monarchy is fine in the UK but in Canada it seems quite twee at times.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 7:42 PM

I understand why colonialism is associated to the British Crown, but Queen Elizabeth II was not involved in that. If anything, she is partly responsible allowing many Countries to move on from their colonialist past. She was the face of progress in certain respects.

The Crown and its questionable past needs to be kept seperate from the Queen as a person who served her duties as best she could.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada