HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

International Gem Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 9:56 PM

Unhappy

A building with a skin design this good should be over 700' at the absolute minimum. I'm sorely disappointed that they chose to go conservative height-wise...unless there's a height restriction in this particular area and the developers were cornered into making a compromise.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 10:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
A building with a skin design this good should be over 700' at the absolute minimum. I'm sorely disappointed that they chose to go conservative height-wise...unless there's a height restriction in this particular area and the developers were cornered into making a compromise.
There's no height restriction in NYC, other than 2000feet FAA.

There is FAR restrictions which are building density zoning limits.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 5:32 AM

I was already suspected this would happen. I had counted 32 floors these days, and stopped to think "I think something's wrong, if he will have 590 feet, he should be higher, with just two floors to reach the top." It's a shame. I expected a little more (in height).

Anyway, Manhattan will have several interesting projects to come.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 3:23 AM
Astorian

March 4th, 2012

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 3:42 AM

Re. the building height, when the recession hit, Extell Development downsized the project, to lessen risk.

They own a number of adjacent parcels, and will use the available unused air rights on the next-door project.

So it's unfortunate that this project is a little smaller than initially planned, but the same developable space will eventually go up, except the distribution of space will be different (more space in Building 2, and less in Building 1).

I don't know the details on the second project. I'm not even sure it's office/diamond district space. I do know they bought up basically all the air rights on 46th and 47th streets, so they have considerable control over the future of these two streets.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
There's no height restriction in NYC, other than 2000feet FAA.
This is totally wrong. There are height restrictions in the vast majority of NYC.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 5:45 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I don't know the details on the second project. I'm not even sure it's office/diamond district space. I do know they bought up basically all the air rights on 46th and 47th streets, so they have considerable control over the future of these two streets.
Interesting - I wasn't aware there's a second project in the works. I'm glad that area is in the process of sprouting some towers.

I caught a glimpse of this one from 6th last Friday and the cladding is just incredible.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 5:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This is totally wrong. There are height restrictions in the vast majority of NYC.
At least as skyscrapers go, there are no limits. But as far as zoning goes, you can't build skyscrapers over most of the city anyway (Imagine a 100-story proposal in the middle of Staten Island). It should be no other way. But yeah, in the middle of the City's commercial districts where large buildings go, there are no height limits. Effectively, the FARs are what determine height, size, etc.

Meanwhile, this building may not be the tallest, and its really hidden midblock. But there are a lot of these hidden gems (I know) on the sidestreets of Manhattan. Blame the number and mass of skyscrapers if you will.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:15 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

from the north end of the highline park?

Last edited by mrnyc; Mar 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 5:06 PM

I think it's too far west to be able to see the Gem tower. I'm not sure what this construction is, probably a hotel.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 5:29 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ i think yr right - wasnt sure tho.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 11:57 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 1:35 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

The Olivia looks like it's already completed, though, and the glass building just behind it. Regardless, the building under construction in that photo is obviously concrete, and not International Gem.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 9:12 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Oops, you're right about that.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 11:29 PM

It's another glenwood property on, eh, 38th?

329 w 39th/38th st Glenwood rental

To be exact.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 4:26 AM

It's a shame the height has been lowered, but the cladding is fantastic so far, and this will still add density to a spot in Midtown that's not dense, relative to the surrounding areas.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 3:06 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
from the north end of the highline park?

Ha that is NOT the Gem Tower, not even close. The Gem Tower is about 20 blocks north of the building of which you took the pic. But thanks for the picture.

jwalas

This building is looking NICE!

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 3:03 PM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

A Building in the Rough

By ROBBIE WHELAN
March 11, 2012

Quote:
New York's Diamond District is today crummy, cramped and hopelessly outdated. With its hawkers on the sidewalk and internal gritty bazaars of gold and gems, it feels more like a developing country than the middle of Midtown.

That's why developer Gary Barnett, whose career began as a diamond dealer in Belgium, is in the midst of erecting a 34-story commercial condo building along 47th Street in the heart of the diamond district. His idea is that finally, the purveyors of the world's most beautiful, shiniest stones will have a modern, glimmering tower to conduct their business in.

"It's embarrassing that they don't have a building like this in New York City. You'd walk on 47th Street, and the first thing you notices, it's such a run-down district," Mr. Barnett said in a recent interview.

In his effort to create a building that matches the professionalism and sophistication of the steel buildings of the diamond exchange in Ramat Gan, outside of Tel Aviv, Israel, Mr. Barnett enlisted Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP to design the diamond building, which is sometimes marketed under the lofty name of the International Gem Tower. The firm is known for its sleek, international-style office towers, and, more recently, for the spiky glass behemoth it conceived for One World Trade Center.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 3:30 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 4:52 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

What an awesome building, there should be more mid-block towers such as this one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive