HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Not joking. Bury all train lines. Especially the ones that halt street traffic as they make their route. If it's rail lines vs parkland or even new development projects, the railways lose this one for me. Put them all underground.
I totally agree.

Our leaders in Houston really blundered this... idiots.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 11:33 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Absolutely. I daydream all the time about having the highways and rail lines underground, and where those lanes and lines used to be would all be converted to park land. And specifically the loop downtown after it is put under ground, the elevated tracks would remain and be converted as a path/jogging trail connecting you to buildings all over the loop where inevitably shops and restaurants would be located like some downtown urban trail. From the newly converted elevated tracks you would have awesome views down the skyscraper canyons of Chicago. I believe people around the world would enjoy the hell out of something like that. I day dream way too much about this stuff.
Oh hell no.

While I agree with building over freight yards in desirable areas, the els make the Loop what it is. They are part of the very identity of the place. Burying them at this point is just flat-out stupid.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Oh hell no.

While I agree with building over freight yards in desirable areas, the els make the Loop what it is. They are part of the very identity of the place. Burying them at this point is just flat-out stupid.
This is correct.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 2:22 AM
Chicago

Riverwalk after heavy rain

October 16, 2017

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 2:23 AM
Chicago

900 W Washington

October 18, 2017

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 2:25 AM
Chicago

Nobu Hotel and Restaurant - 848 W Randolph

October 18, 2017

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 2:29 AM
Chicago

128 N May

October 18, 2017

Permit #100682989

Erect new 3 story building with vacant office tenant space on 2nd and 3rd floors and vacant restaurant tenant space on ground floor as per plans

Client:
1133 W. Randolph, Llc
HOUSTON, TX

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 2:30 AM
Chicago

Hayden West Loop - 1111 W Washington

October 18, 2017

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 2:33 AM
Chicago

811 W Fulton Market

October 18, 2017

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 5:16 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Burying them at this point is just flat-out stupid.

I think there are plenty of good arguments on why the trains should be running underground.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 1:17 PM

That Fulton Market District sign makes me want to scream.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 1:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

I feel ya HomrQT

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 1:42 PM
The City

Quote:

I think there are plenty of good arguments on why the trains should be running underground.
Yes there are. And there are lots of arguments why we should have a lot of things in Chicago.

But how about being realistic? Many people visit these threads to hear, see, or discuss ACTUAL developments or proposals going on in the city, not griping about “I wish things were this way” when making such changes would be monumental and on the order of billions and billions of dollars we don’t have, with NOBODY with political power announcing any plans to do so. So as you can imagine, it’s worth a post or two but it quickly becomes pointless (and counterproductive IMO) to keep discussing such things.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
October 16, 2017

WTF? I didn't think it flooded in Chicago... ???

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 3:16 PM
Urbane observer

The Main Stem fluctuates about 18 inches. When there's a big storm event, the MWRDGC is reluctant to open the locks because that allows combined sanitary and storm sewer runoff to enter the lake. So the river level rises until it can move downstream.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Yes there are. And there are lots of arguments why we should have a lot of things in Chicago.

But how about being realistic? Many people visit these threads to hear, see, or discuss ACTUAL developments or proposals going on in the city, not griping about “I wish things were this way” when making such changes would be monumental and on the order of billions and billions of dollars we don’t have, with NOBODY with political power announcing any plans to do so. So as you can imagine, it’s worth a post or two but it quickly becomes pointless (and counterproductive IMO) to keep discussing such things.
Also burying the lines would be a disgrace. Anyone who thinks burying them is a good idea hasn't been to my corner turret building that is surrounded by freight lines, metra lines, and the L. You can stand in the turret on the 3rd floor and have trains going by you in all directions. Cool as hell, why would anyone want to do away with that?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Also burying the lines would be a disgrace. Anyone who thinks burying them is a good idea hasn't been to my corner turret building that is surrounded by freight lines, metra lines, and the L. You can stand in the turret on the 3rd floor and have trains going by you in all directions. Cool as hell, why would anyone want to do away with that?
because actual, honest to goodness, quality of life issues come with living next to active rail yards/train lines/industry in general. given the choice, i imagine most families would prefer less noise pollution and more cohesive neighborhoods rather than keeping it for the sake of it being "cool".

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
because actual, honest to goodness, quality of life issues come with living next to active rail yards/train lines/industry in general. given the choice, i imagine most families would prefer less noise pollution and more cohesive neighborhoods rather than keeping it for the sake of it being "cool".
It's insanely expensive to bury any rail line and there's still noise. You can hear the screeching of the red line running under Division and Clybourn. They rail lines at or above grade adds to the vibrancy IMO. Makes the city feel more alive. It's also nice to not have to go into a subway tunnel that reeks of urine every time you want to take the train.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 6:28 PM

not denying it wouldnt be expensive. simply stating that given the choice, most people would prefer not to live next to loud active rail lines if they dont have to. the red line goes through my alley. do i tolerate it? yes. would i also prefer our rail system didnt sound like collective roar of 1000 banshees let loose straight out of hell every time a train passed my apartment (about once a minute)? yes. there isnt anything noble about pretending that this is what being a resident of a city should by default entail, or pretending that long term abusive exposure to these sorts of sensory pollution dont have have health impacts.

if we are going to talk about how high minded and culturally rich it would be to cap the kennedy in the west loop, or cover over the rail yards downtown, i dont think one can also talk out the other corner of their mouth and act like people in more far flung neighborhoods arent as deserving of the same considerations because its so "gritty and cool". either its a net positive to pursue these sorts of quality of life improvements or its not. and i think its obvious which approach is more gracious from a city planning standpoint.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Oct 24, 2017 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 7:46 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
if we are going to talk about how high minded and culturally rich it would be to cap the kennedy in the west loop, or cover over the rail yards downtown, i dont think one can also talk out the other corner of their mouth and act like people in more far flung neighborhoods arent as deserving of the same considerations because its so "gritty and cool".
I think we can easily talk about both without contradicting ourselves. One possibly would be financially feasible with the proper development rights, the other would probably not.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development