HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 10:00 PM

Exclamation University Design/Retrofit Project - HELP!

Hello Forums!

I come to you in search of help! For introductory purposes:
- I am not a structural engineer
- I am not an architect
- I am not an MEP engineer
- I am mechanical/industrial/automation engineering student

A 4th year Large Group Project has instructed myself, along with a bunch of other students of similar backgrounds, to conduct research regarding high-rise buildings, possible retro-fits, etc.

I am searching for free websites/archives/journals that would yield:
- Realistic Structural Representations of Average High-rises (75-500ft)
- Sectional Views
- Floor/Unit Layouts

Please bear in mind that after days of searching, i've output only pretty pictures of insane-looking residential high-rises. This is not what I require. I need a basic understanding of exactly what goes into building and designing an average high-rise.

Now, I do realize that this is something that i would consider changing professions for. However, our project revolves around an automated solution for a problem-area for tenants in a high-rise... can you guess?

Anyways, i basically need a "High-Rises for Dummies" book/page that would give me basic understanding of structural, mep, and other technical facets ASAP. I have not browsed these forums yet, but will soon. If i find something applicable i will redirect this post, or delete it.

Thanking you all in advance!

Project RHARIS

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 10:03 PM

Thanks for moving that, moderator.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 4:06 PM
Senior Slacker

Hi RH,

As you may have guessed, there is no coherent book on this subject matter that isn't intended for professional use. About the only "free" info on the web would be from CTBUH - they have a technical paper section that could be perused, but if all you are looking for is simple framing schemes in modest highrises they may not have much to offer. Their material is more the "cutting edge" stuff.

Can you be a bit more specific about your project?

"...our project revolves around an automated solution for a problem-area for tenants in a high-rise..."

Are you hoping to find an existing building with a problem and then propose solutions for it or are you trying to create a typical building from scratch with hypothetical issues?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 3:10 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

"However, our project revolves around an automated solution for a problem-area for tenants in a high-rise... can you guess?"

If you're referring to BAS (Building Automation Systems), I'd recommend poking around some of the material available at HPAC Engineering - specifically their archives on BAS http://www.hpac.com/Technologies/Controls/391

You might also post your question at http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/ - be sure to be straightforward with your request - that forum is mostly contractors and engineers and the more specific you can be, the better results you'll get.

Here's an article from HPAC that focuses on a retrofit of the Figueroa-Wilshire tower in Los Angeles - is this along the lines of what you need?

http://www.hpac.com/Issue/Article/68..._a_Pump_System
http://www.hpac.com/Issue/3336

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 5:50 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Quote:
...but if all you are looking for is simple framing schemes in modest highrises they may not have much to offer.
While the site you linked me does have some very interesting information that could be applicable, their DNS host seems to have many broken links. Regarding simple framing schemes, could you provide any links for this?

In short, I am simply searching for an average/modest/typical structural/pictorial description of a residential high-rise.

Regarding the HVAC comments; automation is my background, and my knowledge base. However, I really only need a short intro to high-rise construction and design as per above.

Thanks again!!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 2:24 PM
Senior Slacker

RH,

CTBUH has rebuilt their web presence recently, so try this link to technical papers:

http://www.ctbuh.org/Publications/Te...1/Default.aspx

Do you have a preference for steel-framed or concrete-framed structures? If concrete - are looking for precast, cast-in-place, etc. Or is it entirely a non-issue (e.g. just any type)?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 3:07 PM

Kelvin,

Thanks for the links. I investigated this website a couple days ago. Because the level of interest is of low tier, I only needed to examine the following papers:
  • The Integration of Structure and Enclosure Systems in Tall Residential Buildings
  • The Integration of Structure and Architecture in Tall Building Design
  • Elements of the Tall Building 2004

However, they were all 'dead' or 'incomplete' papers. I guess the CTBUH has not addressed these issues with their website. Nevertheless, I picked up one book from the University Library that has helped a bit:
  • High-Rise Manual: Typology and Design, Construction and Technology; by Eisle and Kloft

While it has proved to be useful in presenting specific models, layouts, and a features of high-rises, it is a bit too technical for myself and the group. Yet, it will be of use in the upcomming weeks.

At this point, I am still searching the internet, looking in the school's LRC, and even contacting a professional architect, pleading for prints and models. All help is still appreciated.

RHARIS

Last edited by RHARIS; Jan 18, 2008 at 3:00 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering