HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 1:16 PM

Could you get a pic of the new columns on the courthouse when you get a chance? I want a better view of how it looks from the main entrance; not that the other pics are bad, just a more unobstructed view.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 3:47 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Might be a few days, but I'll try.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 12:26 AM

Council approves River Market

Quote:
A $3 million construction contract for a scaled-back version of the River Market was met with unanimous approval Tuesday.

The facility, planned to go alongside the Black Warrior River just off Jack Warner Parkway, will have a heating and air system, thanks to the approval of a contract amendment by the City Council.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 11:41 PM

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 8:55 AM
Cat Enthusiast

^^^ I love the people pushing the car out of the parking spot...

Looks great!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 5:29 PM
---

Link to high resolution picture of completed amphitheater.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 11:17 PM

Don't amphitheaters usually have a grassy area for "bring-your-own seating" general admissions?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 1:21 AM
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
Don't amphitheaters usually have a grassy area for "bring-your-own seating" general admissions?
I have wondered about that too. I guess they're going for a larger open area at the front.

I have also wondered if Lurleen Wallace/69 will produce a significant amount of noise. I am sure they thought about that on day 1, but it does seem like a possible problem at times.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
The T-Newa provides the answer to this question with an interactive tour of the facility on their website. The lower bowl of the amphitheater is fitted with removable chairs to make it a general admissions area - only there's no grass.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...EDIA/110329622

Anyway, the amphitheater is opening tonight with a sold-out show with the Avett Brothers and Band of Horses. We'll see tomorrow whether there will be a sound issue or not.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 9:28 PM

Dynasty Park

Well according to the original plans back in '07, Dynasty Park by the stadium was supposed to be opening around now. The most I've seen as far as construction goes is the fencing off of the old Stadium Apartments next to Bryant Denny. I've combed through the internet but I can't find any updated info on the project. Anyone have any updates on it?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 11:00 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamastu13 View Post
Well according to the original plans back in '07, Dynasty Park by the stadium was supposed to be opening around now. The most I've seen as far as construction goes is the fencing off of the old Stadium Apartments next to Bryant Denny. I've combed through the internet but I can't find any updated info on the project. Anyone have any updates on it?
As far as I know it's still on, they're just trying to get people to by units. I don't think there will be much of a problem as soon as the economy picks back up.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 11:03 PM

Awesome, I saw the renderings of it and its going to look real nice when it is completed. Hopefully it will spur more new developments around the stadium!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 1:20 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Awesome, I saw the renderings of it and its going to look real nice when it is completed. Hopefully it will spur more new developments around the stadium!
I'm hoping so. The "U" (the zoned area surrounding the University) really needs some good private investment. Commercial investment is something that needs to be capitalized on.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 7:09 PM

Yeah, definitely. I know that property developers are in the process of buying up older 2 and 3 bedroom houses around campus and are turning them into those 2 story, (up to 14 bedroom) deals.

I wonder what will happen with the auctioning of JD's food mart coming up? I hope they keep some kind of business or restaurant in that location but I wouldn't be surprised if they tore it down in favor of some kind of new condo spot..as long as it's not just a gameday rental I guess that would be okay.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 8:39 PM
---

Quote:
Yeah, definitely. I know that property developers are in the process of buying up older 2 and 3 bedroom houses around campus and are turning them into those 2 story, (up to 14 bedroom) deals.

I wonder what will happen with the auctioning of JD's food mart coming up? I hope they keep some kind of business or restaurant in that location but I wouldn't be surprised if they tore it down in favor of some kind of new condo spot..as long as it's not just a gameday rental I guess that would be okay.
Is it going to auction due to the Bryant Dr. construction?

...wish the BP station would go to auction.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 3:36 AM

When and why did JD's close? I know it was under a change in management.

Quote:
I know that property developers are in the process of buying up older 2 and 3 bedroom houses around campus and are turning them into those 2 story, (up to 14 bedroom) deals.
I hope those private developer don't destroy too much of the historic district in making those tenements.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 1:12 AM

JD's is still open but I guess the owner just wants to get rid of it for whatever reasons. I don't really know why though, the article said that they made $20,000 a year just on leasing out the parking lot for gamedays, sounds pretty good to me.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 6:21 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Construction on the Northport riverfront hotel is set to begin within the next 2 to 3 weeks. After construction starts, it's expected to take 15 months.

The developers also have an option to by land next to the current parcel that they're going to build upon. All that is known is that Hilton brands, or whoever they said in the article, wants to build two more hotels. But, this Hampton Inn has to be built first.

Sounds like the beginnings of a convention center to me. This Hampton Inn is supposed to have meeting space in it.

From the Tuscaloosa News

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 8:06 PM

It's prime land and it's about dang time. Northport has always been behind Tuscaloosa when it comes to commercial development, it seems to me. This should be the first step in catching up.

Last edited by ttownfeen; Apr 27, 2011 at 3:01 AM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 3:00 AM

A couple of downtown developments to report on.

First, a new restaurant is opening in Temerson Square. This restaurant will specifically to cater to the late-night crowd, a surprising rarity in a town with an active nightlife such as Tuscaloosa.

FIG opening late-night restaurant at Temerson Square downtown

Quote:
The new restaurant will be in Temerson Square in downtown Tuscaloosa, and will cater to those looking for a late-night place to eat by staying open most nights until after midnight.

“I decided to do that because I kept hearing from my staff that there was a lot of activity downtown at night, but there were no good places to eat,” said Paulette Campbell, FIG’s owner.

The restaurant will be open weekdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for lunch and then reopen at 9 p.m. for those looking for a late-night place to eat.

Trent Shattuck, who will be the chef at the 1,700-square-foot restaurant, said it probably will stay open until 3:30 a.m. on Thursdays and 4:30 a.m. on Fridays at first, but that could change depending on demand.

A lot of major cities around the country like Houston, Atlanta and Miami have nice places to eat that are open late. I think Tuscaloosa should have one, too.”
Secondly, and probably more excitingly, an old factory whose redevelopment into a condominium complex stalled has found new redevelopment life as a retail center. Metal Works Retail Center will feature Jim 'N Nick's BBQ out of Birmingham and two other tenants to be named later.

Metalworks site becoming retail spot featuring Jim 'N Nicks BBQ

Quote:
If all goes as planned, the barbecue eatery will be open in time for the beginning of the 2011 college football season.

According to the designs approved by the Planning and Zoning Commission, a drive-through will be installed for Jim 'N Nicks and the front windows of the existing brick structure will be replaced.

The rest of the property will be partially landscaped and a nearly 90-space parking lot will be constructed.

“We will be the only retail and restaurant area downtown with dedicated parking,” Brewer said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast