HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 2:26 AM

Hudson's Bay Downtown Vancouver Store Celebrates 100 Years!

Vancouver's Downtown Hudson's Bay store celebrated 100 years last week.
The store had a party, and I am sure we can all agree this is one of Canada's iconic retail landmarks.

The Vancouver store is one of the original six Canadian cities to have a grand Hudson's Bay store built. The others were Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, and Winnipeg.

At 650,000 sq feet, it is the third largest Hudson's Bay store in the nation after Toronto's Queen Street Store, and Montreal's Centre-Ville store. Winnipeg's Downtown store was also either the same size or larger, but it has been downsized.

Investments in the store have been well received, and the store went from sales of about $120 million in 2011, to about $175 million in 2013.

For more info, check out
http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...-100-on-friday

May this store have hundreds more years of life in it! They do not build them like this anymore, at least in North America.

Photo: Darrell Bateman

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 3:39 AM

I don't shop at The Bay ever, but I'm proud of the HBC's history and contribution to North America's economy for over 300 years. Oldest company on the continent if I have my facts straight.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 4:08 AM

The Hudson bay is the world's longest continuous running company and the world's first department store.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 4:25 AM

I wish they started using some of the windows above the 1st floor in their stores, instead of boarding it up or putting mirrors behind them.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 5:12 AM

Thanks for the shoutout Mike.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
I don't shop at The Bay ever, but I'm proud of the HBC's history and contribution to North America's economy for over 300 years. Oldest company on the continent if I have my facts straight.
I shop at the bay all the time. They have very good sales on pretty good quality clothing.

It seems that The Bay is in pretty good shape these days, unlike Sears which seems to be on the path of Timothy Eaton.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:38 AM

The bay is on pretty rough ground still, my understanding is that it has the exact opposite problem of Sears, it's flagship stores and high end locations are doing really well but the lower end mall locations are struggling.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 1:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I love the downtown flagship Bay stores. So much more than the hit or miss suburban outlets.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I love the downtown flagship Bay stores. So much more than the hit or miss suburban outlets.
The Bay's suburban stores are wildly inconsistent... some of them are practically like downtown flagships while others are glorified Zellers stores.

I have to say I'm jealous of the nice treatment that the Vancouver (and other) flagship stores are getting... ours in Winnipeg is in a spectacular building but is basically dying a slow death. I'd be surprised if it were still around in 5 years. Other than a fresh coat of paint a few years ago, virtually nothing has changed for the better in there since the late 80s.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
The Hudson bay is the world's longest continuous running company and the world's first department store.
There are hotels and pubs in Japan and Europe that have been continuously operating for more than 1000 years. There was a Japanese construction company founded in the 6th century that only went bust in the last decade, also.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 4:23 PM

^^ It is a shame about Winnipeg's downtown Bay Store, amazing structure, but the future of this building as you mentioned, is grim at this point.

Source

Larger Image:

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIce View Post
There was a Japanese construction company founded in the 6th century that only went bust in the last decade, also.
Can you imagine being in charge when your almost millennium-and-a-half-long corporate history ends in bankruptcy and the end of your company as a going concern? That's a unique failure.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 12:14 AM

Hudson's Bay is starting to uncover the windows on the buildings. In both Vancouver and Toronto they have already opened up some of the windows on the selling floors. It looks great I have to say.

The downtown Winnipeg store suffers, because sadly Winnipeg's downtown retail scene has been stagnant for a while. They have been downsizing the store, which I think is a mistake.
I think if they just renovated, and hold on a little long, the tides will change in downtown Winnipeg. Birks has already left Polo Park and moved back into downtown Winnipeg. So the area has to grow better soon.
Too often stores will start downsizing a store, which just makes it less of a place to go to, and it creates a cycle of decline.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 1:41 AM

I hope that with the steady resurgence of Downtown Winnipeg, the flagship HBC store will come beck to life.

Here in Ottawa, HBC's downtown flagship is the former Freiman's Department Store Building since 1972.

The store hasn't been renovated since 1983, the year they completed the Freiman Mall (over the former Mosgrove, later Freiman Street) and skywalks to the newly opened Rideau Centre.

Only the top retail floor, where they sell furniture and appliances, has exposed windows (which seem original), along with what looks like original hardwood floors.

They've recently started interior renovations, although they didn't have any sort of announcement. It's being done in a sort of under-the-radar kind of way. I haven't seen the renos yet, but I've heard good things from Ottawa forumers.

Here are a few pictures of the building:

Rideau Street Elevation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freimans

One of two skywalks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve-brandon/273683930/

Similar view in 1950s

http://urbsite.blogspot.ca/2012/05/r...o-archive.html

Skybridge to Freiman Mall (1983 expansion)

http://urbsite.blogspot.ca/2014/03/r...6-transit.html

George Street façade of Freiman Mall

http://urbsite.blogspot.ca/2014/03/r...dreams-of.html

George Street façade of main HBC Building. These orange panels were added, you guessed it, in 1983. They were placed over the original brick and windows. Hopefully, they restore the George Street elevation to its original look.

http://urbsite.blogspot.ca/2014/03/r...dreams-of.html

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 1:55 AM
ARTchitecture

Calgary's is also over a century old. It's 101 years as of this year.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Calgary's is also over a century old. It's 101 years as of this year.
Calgary's looks like a carbon copy of Vancouver's.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 2:37 AM
ARTchitecture

Actually, ours is older, so theirs would be a carbon copy of ours. Except that Calgary's has the beautiful arcade/collonade, while Vancouver's just has the overhangs. Design-wise I prefer Calgary's, but the fact that Vancouver's has Granville subway station under it makes it super convenient, except the layout is hell. It took me 15 minutes just to find where the mens section was (6th floor) last Wednesday!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 2:37 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
the whole world's oldest thing is an urban myth...its not even close to that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_companies

they say the oldest commercial corporation in North America....

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 2:40 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post

The downtown Winnipeg store suffers, because sadly Winnipeg's downtown retail scene has been stagnant for a while. They have been downsizing the store, which I think is a mistake.
I think if they just renovated, and hold on a little long, the tides will change in downtown Winnipeg. Birks has already left Polo Park and moved back into downtown Winnipeg. So the area has to grow better soon.
Too often stores will start downsizing a store, which just makes it less of a place to go to, and it creates a cycle of decline.
totally agree....HBC is trying to kill the winnipeg store...a little effort and it would be fine...the grocery it had was hugely successful...it had a zellers in the basement that did very well...when zellers shut down they closed both....now the whole store is a walking ghost....they are looking for the first opportunity to bolt...sadly i think its too late to convince them otherwise.

it will be a massive blow to downtown winnipeg...its downsizing already is.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 5:29 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Guess I'll toss in a pic of Calgary's

calgaryherald.com

resized from:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darrellinyvr/8348601954/

The arcade or whatever

http://clairephotoflash-blog.com/?p=2865

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/dar...7632439937266/

The main other differences I see is Vancouver's has a railing on the roof, more interesting windows, and they have the fancy awnings (Calgary's have been replaced with boring ones)

Looks like Calgary's not only had the railing originally, they had fancy light posts on them as well

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2012/...ened-downtown/

Looks like Calgary's always had the less fancy windows though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada