HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 1:49 AM
Meh

Cool AUSTIN | Hotel ZaZa & Apartments | 305 FEET | 24 FLOORS | Complete

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...wnbouti/nSpgr/
Quote:
Posted: 4:40 p.m. Friday, Oct. 26, 2012
Hotel ZaZa, luxury apartments planned downtown
Boutique hotel brand set to check in to Austin

By Shonda Novak
American-Statesman Staff

Plans are in the works for a 24-story tower in downtown Austin that would have 215 luxury apartments atop a 160-room Hotel ZaZa, which would mark the upscale boutique hotel’s Central Texas debut.

Executives with Gables Residential and Hotel ZaZa told the American-Statesman that their project would be built on West Fourth Street between Guadalupe and Lavaca streets. Pending a requested zoning change, they hope to start construction in mid- to late-2013, with the project expected to debut in early to mid-2015. Developers did not release information on an estimated pricetag for the project or financing details.

The half-block site, which is just under an acre, is now used for parking. It once housed the Ginger Man pub, which has since relocated, and the Fox & Hound tavern.

Chas Schreiber & Ziegler Cooper

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 2:44 AM

Excellent news...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
This will front of Republic Park? If so, that is good news indeed. Zsa, Zsa is a quirky brand that has done very well in Dallas and Houston with trendy luxury properties. Not W trendy but something a bit more traditional yet sylish in an over the top kind of way. I think it is a good fit with the location. This is one I would really like to see happen.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Great news. I am wondering if that is a current image? Isn't that the old design? Not sure, but it what I;m thinking.

I do wish they would find a way to use part of the old Gingerman building in the design. Hate to see that torn down.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 12:05 AM

The new rendering is taller but less interesting IMO. This was the old render.

Last edited by corvairkeith; Oct 29, 2012 at 3:53 AM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 3:06 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
That rendering that you've posted is shorter by about 7 floors not taller. It has ground level retail, which is really all that matters.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 3:17 AM
Rundberg & I35

This will actually be one of the few local (or Texas) owned boutique hotels in downtown Austin. Austin has tons of locally owned bars and restaurants... and even movie theaters...... so it's kind of crazy that we have so few locally owned hotels.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
That rendering that you've posted is shorter by about 7 floors not taller. It has ground level retail, which is really all that matters.
The one I posted was the old one. In the render it kinda reminds me of the Whitley building.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 4:52 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
The one I posted was the old one. In the render it kinda reminds me of the Whitley building.
Oh good.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 4:27 PM

I am guessing ( only a guess) that none of these are the real look. I can't see ZAZA wanting a bland presence. You can't really tell anything from the watercolor feeling rendering. So.... I'm in a "wait and see" frame of mind.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I can't see ZAZA wanting a bland presence.
The Zaza in Dallas is the definition of bland.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royiv View Post
I agree with that assessment. The lobby/bar/restaurant and the room interiors present a totally different picture. They are rather over the top. The renovated Warwick in Houston has a more assertive exterior especially compared with the way it looked back in the Warwick days.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royiv View Post
I disagree. I grant it's not the most exciting architecture in the world but it's set right on the street, brings in a nice restaurant and bar to the area and a measure of funkitude (admittedly a kind of Dallas funkitude that involves money) that Dallas badly needs. It's no Ramada Inn or Extendastay Suites

In any case, I like this project. This will be a nice add to the the CBD.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I agree with that assessment. The lobby/bar/restaurant and the room interiors present a totally different picture. They are rather over the top. The renovated Warwick in Houston has a more assertive exterior especially compared with the way it looked back in the Warwick days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I disagree. I grant it's not the most exciting architecture in the world but it's set right on the street, brings in a nice restaurant and bar to the area and a measure of funkitude (admittedly a kind of Dallas funkitude that involves money) that Dallas badly needs. It's no Ramada Inn or Extendastay Suites

In any case, I like this project. This will be a nice add to the the CBD.
I was only referring to the exterior architecture of the Dallas hotel. I agree that the rooms are great, but the exterior architecture leaves a lot to be desired.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 3:18 AM
Rundberg & I35

Anyone know why the 21c people gave up on Austin? I just went to their website and it looks like they have a 21c hotel under construction in Cincinnati and three more proposed in Durham, Lexington, and Bentonville. But nothing about Austin.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
Anyone know why the 21c people gave up on Austin? I just went to their website and it looks like they have a 21c hotel under construction in Cincinnati and three more proposed in Durham, Lexington, and Bentonville. But nothing about Austin.
This is only a guess... but I worked in Louisville a lot, frequented 21C and knew some of the folks there.

The 21 c in louisville and Cicinnati for sure are all repurposed older hotels/buildings. The propety in Louisville and the one that Austin that has gone on ( seemingly) permanent hold were new/large/groundup projects. Perhaps they just could not find the model to make that work for them. I thnk They still own one of the properties they had purchased here (Red river and 1 st) . Who knows, maybe someday.!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 4:17 PM

I had dinner at the Dragonfly (the REstaurant at the Hotel ZsaZsa) in Dallas. One of the best meals I've had in my life. Excellent. I hope we get an equally fantastic restaurant to go with this hotel.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 9:51 PM

It's a great location, but I hope the place is "warmer" than the W Residences.

Is this an apartment development or condos?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 7:25 PM

I have a good feeling about this one...:-)

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 11:32 PM

So to the best of our knowledge, this place will look like the taller, less interesting image? Or are there still changes likely to be made? I definitely would vote got the brick-style design, but I'm not unhappy with the more recent rendering. I'd just like to see some different views, especially in a neutral daylight rendering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin