HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 2:48 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I don't know, guys. I've lived in East Asia for awhile now, and outside of the biggest three, knowledge of Canada outside of mountain, mounties, Trudeau and syrup is shockingly low. And I'm not talking about the Chinese or Taiwanese here. I'm talking about well-traveled foreigners that I've met over 15 years of living abroad.

Churchill well known? By who? The small subset of people that want to see polar bears?

Even Canadians have crap knowledge about Canada. I'm still in shock that Kelowna has some kind of national profile after toiling in obscurity for decades. And even then, I'd say 50% of Canadians east of Manitoba that I've met abroad have never heard of Kelowna or the Okanagan Valley.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I don't know, guys. I've lived in East Asia for awhile now, and outside of the biggest three, knowledge of Canada outside of mountain, mounties, Trudeau and syrup is shockingly low. And I'm not talking about the Chinese or Taiwanese here. I'm talking about well-traveled foreigners that I've met over 15 years of living out here.

Churchill well known? By who? The small subset of people that want to see polar bears?

Even Canadians have crap knowledge about Canada. I'm still in shock that Kelowna has some kind of national profile after toiling in obscurity for decades. And even then, I'd say 50% of Canadians east of Manitoba that I've met abroad still have never heard of Kelowna or the Okanagan Valley.
The only thing I might know about that area is that it's warm, dry, and has grapes and rattlesnakes lol

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 3:05 AM

Quote:
I don't know, guys. I've lived in East Asia for awhile now, and outside of the biggest three, knowledge of Canada outside of mountain, mounties, Trudeau and syrup is shockingly low. And I'm not talking about the Chinese or Taiwanese here. I'm talking about well-traveled foreigners that I've met over 15 years of living abroad.

Even Canadians have crap knowledge about Canada. I'm still in shock that Kelowna has some kind of national profile after toiling in obscurity for decades. And even then, I'd say 50% of Canadians east of Manitoba that I've met abroad have never heard of Kelowna or the Okanagan Valley.
Yeah, I feel a lot of people are basing this on what they think should be known. Also always fun seeing the overly pessimistic vs. the overly optimistic posts.

For example Sydney may seem as if it is soooo much more famous than Toronto or Vancouver, but honestly it isn’t, especially once you leave the Anglosphere.

Perfect example is in Japan. You mention Sydney to the average Japanese and all they may know about it is kangaroos and the opera house. Mention Vancouver and most give you a similar short list, skiing (particularly Whistler) and trips to the Rocky Mointains. Mention Toronto you get the Blue Jays and Niahara Falls.

Victoria is oddly well known for its size in Japan as well. For example currently there is a major advertising campaign for a nation wide English Cram School that stars a very popular Japanese actress and they all openly take place in Victoria and Saltspring Island.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Winnipeg is well known because of a few important historic events and the fact that at one time it was one of Canada's largest and most prosperous cities. Churchill also helps. Everyone knows Churchill and you have to go to Winnipeg to get there. Things like the gimli glider and the general strike are quite well known amongst older people. My friends dad from Venezuela knew about those. people I met in Europe knew about Winnipeg and they knew about the gimli glider. Some people also knew about Winnie the pooh being named after here. Sadly Winnipeg gets neglected on both the national and international stage. Always the butt of jokes in films and television or completely forgotten. the film "The kings speech" didn't mention us at all even though the king delivered the speech from the peg. This has happened with other films too. There was a carol shields book turned into a movie and they changed Winnipeg to Toronto. Another thing that helped us get noticed was the flood of 97. That was international headlines. Also there was guy maddin's film my Winnipeg that did quite well.
From Saskatoon's Yann Martel author of book/movie "life of PI' , wasn't PI 'sailing to Winnipeg' from India when he was ship wrecked with tiger?. Also a Greek friend of mine from NYC knew of Nia Vardalos's 'Big Fat Greek Wedding' and her being from Winnipeg.

For my two cents on what i've notice on international recognition of Canada besides the top 3 cities. When ever I say i'm from in Canada when asked, more often than not Toronto is the first place, Vancouver second, Montreal third mentioned, & other than Banff, Whistler, Niagara Fall & Jasper once.

Calgary has been mentioned (Germans seem really aware of, because of Olympics and the Rockies I guess (?) SouthAfrican had been to YYC for petroluem/mining related work, Bali driver had a family member in Calgary. Edmonton when Turkish guy said brother lived there and someone in performance art once mentioned Edmo's Fringe Fest.
Ottawa, has never been mentioned unless 'Whats Canada's Capital' comes up in which most don't know or guess Toronto or Montreal. Same thing as most people in World would guess Sydney/Melbourne for Auzzie Capital I guess. Only other province i've ever heard mentioned outside the above is New Brunswick because a Brazilian guy's father lived there.

When people pry further when I say i'm from Canada, I have only once from an Australian Geography professor been asked 'Regina? Saskatoon?...Moose Jaw?' even..otherwise next question is 'where is that in Canada' is the next question.

In America though, people in Phoenix and Vegas and Disney/Universal studio tour guides especially have some awareness of Saskatchewan. Miami car rental agent asked if I had ever seen any 'Sasquatches' after seeing my dr lic. She said she always saves that question for people from Sask.
Once in Maul on Halloween, some American tourists picked us out of a crowd for wearing 'Rider' gear but only because they had seen other Sask people with green beads, Rider gear, melon heads they had talked to that same day.

Once at a friend of a friends party in San Diego, someone said 'Saskatchewan? where Joni Mitchell is from?' and at Aeronautical Smithsonian museum gift shop cashier said '..where Shannon Tweed from Family Jewels is from?' Friend of a friend in San Francisco said 'from Regina?' with proper pronounciation since he has family in Montana. Georgia couple on Caribbean cruise said had driven RV thru Sask on way to Alaska. Guy from St Lucia brother went to U of S in Saskatoon.. All very very random, nothing consistent, very very anecdotal.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 3:35 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I get around the globe 2-3 times per year.
Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are on the radar internationally. Everyone has heard of Toronto. In Europe, it is Montreal then Toronto. In Asia, it is Toronto then Vancouver. South America, it is the big three in the same order of population. For Australia, Vancouver>Toronto>Montreal but everyone knows all three.
For the most part, that is it.
Hell, most Americans might not be able to identify Ottawa as the capital city.

Before anyone gets their panties in a twist, nobody but nobody has heard of London Ontario. And for good reason (i.e., there is just no reason why it would be on the radar).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:06 AM

most people don't know their geography.

Last edited by GreaterMontréal; Jan 22, 2018 at 4:32 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Pine View Post
I'd bet Quebec is farther up than many people think. China apparently is even building a replica of it.

Famous for:
History
Winter/carnivals
Chateau Frontenac
Did I mention the Chateau Frontenac?
Why build a replica when they can simply buy the real thing?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Why build a replica when they can simply buy the real thing?
si les touristes peuvent visiter Québec sans avoir à quitter le pays, l'argent est dépensée en Chine et non ici. Ils n'auront pas accès à l'hiver Québécois par contre.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:46 AM

I would definitely and overwhelmingly say Ottawa, it's our capitol after all.

I agree also with Niagara Falls but it's the "Falls" themselves that are well known not the city.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:22 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Pine View Post
The only thing I might know about that area is that it's warm, dry, and has grapes and rattlesnakes lol
And Ogopogo.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:25 AM

The fall foliage thing is a surprise

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 9:12 AM
video et taceo

I would say Quebec, although some of that comes from people vaguely knowing of a place called that but not necessarily knowing of the province and the city.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 10:59 AM
Look at me!

Ottawa has a capitol?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 3:06 PM

Definitely Ottawa, then maybe Quebec City and Calgary/Banff.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Honestly, it's probably Banff. From Germany to Japan, that spot is massively popular worldwide.
One could say Niagara Falls as well then. But I don't think Banff or the Falls count because most people might recognize the natural features but have no clue what the built form looks like.

I would say the list would go like this.

1. Toronto
2. Vancouver
3. Montreal
4. Quebec City
5. Ottawa
6. Calgary

Anything after that I bet most people around the globe would have a tough time placing a name to a picture of the city.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 3:37 PM

I don't know how accurate and scientific this is but there is this article online ranking the most famous Canadian cities. They put Niagara Falls at #4; which I think is accurate.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/popular-ci...-visit-1481652

There's a similar one here that lists the most traveled cities from international travelers which comes to the same conclusion

http://torontosun.com/2014/08/26/20-...2-38fb4cb9ce43

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:30 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
I don't know how accurate and scientific this is but there is this article online ranking the most famous Canadian cities. They put Niagara Falls at #4; which I think is accurate.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/popular-ci...-visit-1481652

There's a similar one here that lists the most traveled cities from international travelers which comes to the same conclusion

http://torontosun.com/2014/08/26/20-...2-38fb4cb9ce43
What kind of poll is that for the Sun article? You can vote for Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal or Edmonton with everything else listed as Other. WTF?!? Cause Edmonton would really come out ahead of Ottawa, Calgary and Victoria.

That tripsavvy site summed it up best about Edmonton:

Quote:
Edmonton is not necessarily a destination that people choose but more somewhere you happen to end up because you are in between places or are there on business. Not to say there isn't stuff to do when you're there.
In fairness the Calgary description made me cringe, though it's still probably pretty accurate.

Quote:
The Calgary Stampede put this Alberta city on the map, and the city's role as the first Canadian host of the Winter Olympics in 1988 solidified its place as one of Canada's top destinations. The Old West spirit is alive and well in Calgary, where cowboy hats and line dancing are always in fashion.
We're also usually a pass through city for travelers on their way to Banff.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:26 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I think that international fame would automatically correlate with popularity in tourism. Tourism numbers should accurately reflect this, maybe with some exceptions for historical or geographical oddities such as historical events or remoteness.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:55 PM

My experience with international friends (not in the USA) is usually Ottawa and Calgary, and occasionally also Winnipeg.

On the flip side, the areas I find my international friends are most unfamiliar with are the Atlantic provinces, the territories, Northern Ontario, and Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I would say Quebec, although some of that comes from people vaguely knowing of a place called that but not necessarily knowing of the province and the city.
Actually that's a great point. If "Niagara Falls" counts, then I'd say "Quebec" is actually probably even better known than Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver overseas. (In Europe at least.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada