HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 10:50 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
FYI, there are also progress pics being posted on the project website http://threefiftyone.ca/gallery
It says on the website that it will take about 12 weeks to complete the basic structure of the parking garage.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 6:11 PM

Every day I drive past 351 there's more and more work done. It's like they're playing simcity with the building down there

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 9:27 PM

I just walked by 351 on the Water Street side and noticed there is some really cool detailing on the parking garage. I didn't have a camera to take a picture unfortunately. It's hard to explain but it really makes it look great compared to the Atlantic Place parking garage which is an eyesore on the waterfront. Maybe someone could get a picture while they're down there?

I was looking up at the crane trying to picture the height of 351. Any idea if the height of the building will be about as high as the crane? Shorter? Higher?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnotout View Post
I was looking up at the crane trying to picture the height of 351. Any idea if the height of the building will be about as high as the crane? Shorter? Higher?
The building itself will be about 48m tall, whereas the crane itself is about 70m, so there's a distinct height difference. When it's all said and done, 351 will have a height comparable to that of say Scotia Center or the old Fortis office.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 2:46 AM

Thanks! I was aware of the completed height of 351 but I just couldn't get a sense of how tall the crane was from the ground.

By the way, the parking garage detailing I mentioned is visible in some of the photos on www.threefiftyone.ca/gallery. It actually looks much nicer in person as the pictures aren't very clear unfortunately.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 4:51 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The updates on the 351 website are quite good. There should be 5 sections (Edit: I mean several sections) the same size as the one they are working on now. The detailing you mentioned will add a lot to the aesthetics.

The building height to the main roof of the tower will be about 43 meters, the top elevation of the penthouse will be about 47 meters.

http://www.threefiftyone.ca/gallery

Last edited by Architype; Apr 17, 2012 at 7:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 7:53 AM
ARTchitecture

This should prove to be a lovely addition to the city! again St. John's, very proud of your city for the massive improvements being made!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 12:52 PM

I agree, the finished Water Street face of the garage is looking great. The color, texture, and bit of detailing gives it a warmer relaxed feel that I think is unique to our downtown, reminiscent of structures I've seen in Florida/California.

I'll try and grab a few snaps.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 1:30 PM

Recently confirmed with a reliable source that a tower crane is en route to St. John's, destined for 351 Water. Coming in from southeastern US. It will be used for the construction of the office building.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:05 PM

I snapped a few progress pics of 351 Water yesterday. This building is shooting up like a weed!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 8:20 PM

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 1:54 AM

Wow, it literally is sprouting up like a weed!!. If it keeps at the rate that it is going , the basic outline of the structure will probably be completed in 1 1/2 to 2 months

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 5:16 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Yeah I really can't believe how fast 351 is growing. I'm out of the province for the next few weeks, and I half expect it to be done by the time I get back.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 11:36 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Because it's precast and not reinforced concrete, it is much faster construction.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 3:56 PM

I walked by here yesterday. Is the first floor on the Water side going to be anything other than parking? It's hard to tell by looking in the little windows at street level.

I'm not to sure I like the detailing on the facade. Lipstick on a pig really. What I find interesting is that they didn't try and conceal the parkade. The tenants get the harbour view and the street gets the concrete bunker.

I just looked at the renderings again and there is no view from across the street. In fact most of the views are from the Harbour side.

Last edited by Oedipal Popsicle; May 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oedipal Popsicle View Post
I walked by here yesterday. Is the first floor on the Water side going to be anything other than parking? It's hard to tell by looking in the little windows at street level.

I'm not to sure I like the detailing on the facade. Lipstick on a pig really. What I find interesting is that they didn't try and conceal the parkade. The tenants get the harbour view and the street gets the concrete bunker.
First floor on Water street is going to be retail, with I think 4 potential store locations. There will also be a restaurant space opened on the harbour drive side of the building.

I wish they also tried to hide the parking a little better, but it's definitely way better than Atlantic Place's parking garage. I actually think the design in the pre-cast is a nice added bonus, anything really to help make a parking garage look a little better

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 10:06 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
First floor on Water street is going to be retail, with I think 4 potential store locations. There will also be a restaurant space opened on the harbour drive side of the building.

I wish they also tried to hide the parking a little better, but it's definitely way better than Atlantic Place's parking garage. I actually think the design in the pre-cast is a nice added bonus, anything really to help make a parking garage look a little better
The design shows some type of screening, and some glass on the Water Street side. This can make quite a difference in the appearance.

http://threefiftyone.ca/gallery

Last edited by Architype; May 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 10:57 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

There are some more recent pictures on the 351 website.

This one from April gives a good overall view of the site and its surroundings -

http://threefiftyone.ca/gallery

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 2:57 AM

All taken by me yesterday afternoon.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 11:29 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Great pics. They seem to have made considerable progress.
The structure looks great so far.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's