HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 1:49 PM

Aren't the suburbs around Belleview fairly expensive? And Microsoft is one city over. Gateway has no large equivalent, large employers that would draw higher income people to the area, which would stimulate development. For a "Portland Belleview" to occur, I think it would have to be on the west side.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Aren't the suburbs around Belleview fairly expensive? And Microsoft is one city over. Gateway has no large equivalent, large employers that would draw higher income people to the area, which would stimulate development. For a "Portland Belleview" to occur, I think it would have to be on the west side.
I meant more a development pattern similar to Bellevue in that the mall comes before the density. In Gateway's case it has the advantage of MAX already being in place to supplement excellent freeway access to jump-start the densification process.

I doubt Portland will ever have a suburban center as large and wealthy as Bellevue though.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 8:57 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

I thought the Bellevue development area was just the city hall, a mall, and a bunch of condo towers. Oh, they have a park too... but I didn't think the new downtown high-rise district had any office or major employers...?

I agree, Gateway needs a solid urban development plan, placing lots of high-density office uses near the MAX stop (the hospital they just built is not a very good use of that site), some retail, a pedestrian plaza, and then housing and park space further away...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 9:06 PM

Eddie Bauer and Microsoft both have offices in the new office tower across the street from Bellevue Square. There are numerous software companies located in downtown Bellevue Office towers..

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
I thought the Bellevue development area was just the city hall, a mall, and a bunch of condo towers. Oh, they have a park too... but I didn't think the new downtown high-rise district had any office or major employers...?
my point was just that the kind of highly paid employment surrounding Belleview doesn't exist around Gateway, so there's probably not much market for the condo towers Belleview has.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 12:22 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ ah, I see. good point

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 9:55 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Daily Journal of Commerce

Quote:
William Wilson Architects PC: Gateway 99

POSTED: 04:00 AM PDT Monday, August 4, 2008
BY NATHALIE WEINSTEIN

William Wilson Architects PC has designed a new mixed-use project in Portland’s Gateway District.

Responding to the city’s need for higher-density living and pedestrian-oriented transit, Gateway 99 will include 166 residential units; 35,000 square feet of commercial space; and a large, 19,000-square-foot, landscaped courtyard on its second floor. The commercial space, as well as parking facilities, will be contained within a concrete podium at the structure’s base. On top of the podium will be the courtyard, surrounded by wood frame structures containing 135 apartment units and 31 condominium units. A rainwater harvesting system on the building’s roof will collect stormwater and channel it through a series of unique water features into the courtyard. In addition, recycled building materials will be used, along with daylighting, passive cooling, heat recovery systems and onsite Zipcars.

The 221,500-square-foot project will be located on a 1.73-acre site near Gateway Transit Center at Northeast 99th Avenue and Glisan Street. It is being developed by Glisan Street Developers LLC and is expected to be completed in fall 2010.

The firm project team included principal William Wilson. Other firms involved in the project include civil engineer MGH Associates, structural engineer T.M. Rippey Consulting Engineers, landscape architect GreenWorks PC, sustainability consultant Scott Sinner Consulting, and mechanical and electrical engineer Solarc Architecture & Engineering Inc.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 11:27 PM

This is similar in construction to what is currently ...

... under construction at 102nd E Burnside. It has underground parking; a first level as a commercial level of concrete (the base) and four or five residential levels. Don't remember the name of the development. I think we complained that the roof would be framed/pitched instead of a more urban (flat) design.

The way it looks during construction, I would say the final design (which has a curved wall at the corner) is going to be more urban. I can hope.

Note that developers are moving into Gateway with multi-purpose designs and are meeting the 2040 Goals!!!

There are lots for sale in parts of Gateway (prime spot in my opinion is NW corner of 102 and Stark, a former car lot) so buyers and sellers are starting to make their moves. At some point, a streetcar line will support higher density close to Mall 205 and the Green Line Station is within walking distance.

Someone (Zifondel?) mentioned the Hospital that was "just built" in Gateway. News for westsiders, that hospital has been there for maybe thirty years. There has been major additions during the last few years (on-going).

eP

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 12:38 AM

i'm glad to see this happening. based on pre-app notices i've very nerdily archived, it looks like, in addition to this project there are about 4-5 others of similar size, either in planning or (possibly, for all i know) under construction: 244 ne 99th, halsey & 105th, 102nd & glisan, 102nd & davis - and maybe The Elements, from the ankrom-moisam website.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 4:01 PM

Site Address: 244 NE 99th Avenue – The Aria Apartments

http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...42258&a=246516

Applicant: Mark Siemieniec, MS Architecture
Site Address: 244 NE 99th Avenue – The Aria Apartments
Six-story, 51-unit building in the Gateway Plan District. Modification request for loading space size,
parking space and aisle dimensions, and ground floor windows. In addition, an exception is requested for
window projections into the Public Right of Way.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 8:26 PM

Nice!

Gateway will see increased density going forward. The almost finished retirement facility at 102nd E. Burnside is almost done at five stories. Now this one at six stories.

Gateway will be the place to be for cheap land and access and when you see a office tower at 10 stories or a mixed-use at +10 stories being proposed; then Gateway will be on a glide path going up until the next economic downturn.

Interesting that this is being proposed now in our current two year and counting downturn.

Ep

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 12:05 AM

Wow, that looks huge for the neighborhood. It will be interesting to see what that does to the neighboring single family residences.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...59.995172&z=18

From the planning app, it looks like a couple of houses will come down for this. I think that if I were a neighbor, I would be moving.

Then again, I guess that this is just a block or two off of I-205.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 5:23 PM

Date: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 8:55am PDT - Last Modified: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 9:48am PDT
UO students hatch plans for Gateway ecodistrict
By Christina Williams
Sustainable Business Oregon

Read the entire article here:
http://www.sustainablebusinessoregon...e_du&ana=e_sbo

Quote:
Five teams of students from the University of Oregon last week presented the results of a semester's worth of work to the team behind the Gateway ecodistrict effort, showing of concepts for a greener, more connected neighborhood.

Gateway, located in east Portland near the intersection of Interstate 84 and I-205, is one of five ecodistrict neighborhoods being nurtured by the Portland Sustainability Institute's pilot ecodistrict project. Ecodistricts are a neighborhoods that develops a comprehensive management strategy for attributes such as energy, water, waste, recycling, green infrastructure and mobility.

Nico Larco, associate professor of architecture at the University of Oregon, worked with the institute to develop an opportunity for an interdisciplinary team of students to look at ecodistricts from an urban design perspective.

The project became the topic of a studio class taught by Larco and Kaarin Knudson, a project manager with Eugene-based Rowell Brokaw Architects and an adjunct professor at UO. The class of 17 split into five student teams with expertise including architecture, landscape architecture and urban planning.

Students started the semester meeting with the ecodistrict's steering committee and experts on the area from SERA Architects and the Portland Development Commission.

"We heard a whole lot of 'We don't want to be the Pearl,'" Larco said.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 12:46 AM

Portland Infill | East of 205

Hello! I'm new here, so be patient
I live in Gateway and I see a real transformation happening with 3 major developments, one proposed development and a new park. Gateway has such potential that I feel the East side/Gateway should have it's own thread.

Posted in the Oregonian (credits and link below)
Adventist Health sets Thursday groundbreaking for new east Portland medical center

By Dana Tims, The Oregonian
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on May 29, 2013 at 1:51 PM, updated May 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Groundbreaking is scheduled for 11 a.m. Thursday on Adventist Health’s new 23,027-square-foot medical complex in northeast Portland.

When completed in early 2014, the Parkrose Medical Plaza will employ about 80 in a facility that will include an urgent care center, physical therapy clinic, laboratory services, digital imaging, primary care providers, and occupational medicine.

The facility is located at 1350 NE 122nd Ave., Portland. The public is welcome to attend.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i..._thursday.html

Last edited by PdxSuchaStar; May 30, 2013 at 1:12 AM. Reason: updating

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 12:58 AM

This one at 102nd and Glisan is currently being constructed.....
Mid County Memo
Glisan Commons undergoes design review

Glisan Commons, a collaborative development by three non-profits planned for Northeast Glisan Street at 99th Avenue, had a Design Advisory — an informal discussion prior to a formal application — with the Portland Design Commission last month. The Commission called for some changes, but generally gave both the project and its design high marks.

The Glisan Commons is a new building slated to occupy the corner of Northeast Glisan at 99th Avenue.

The project is a joint venture by Human Solutions, which provides affordable housing and social services primarily in east Portland; Ride Connection, a transit services provider for the elderly and disabled throughout the city; and REACH Community Development, the city’s largest non-profit, low-income housing provider.

Plans call for a five-story building with 67 units of affordable housing managed by Human Solutions, storage for part of Ride Connection’s fleet of passenger vans and mini-buses, and a smaller building with office and kitchen facilities for the transit service. Phase II of the project calls for 60 units of senior housing (managed by REACH) in a multi-story building above the vehicles........................

http://midcountymemo.com/memlog/glis...design-review/

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 5th, 2012 at 11:38 am and is filed under Gateway news, Hazelwood neighborhood association, Mid-county.

Last edited by PdxSuchaStar; May 30, 2013 at 1:01 AM. Reason: adding URL

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 1:09 AM

And, more healthcare workers to the Gateway area....Kaiser Permanente Gateway Medical Office, also currently under construction.
Kaiser Permanente purchases land for new Gateway Medical Office

Published: Tuesday, June 28, 2011, 1:00 PM Updated: Tuesday, June 28, 2011, 5:59 PM

By Tatiana Sanchez, The Oregonian

Kaiser Permanente Northwest has purchased a single-story building and a portion of land for its new Gateway Medical Office. The three-acre parcel, located at Northeast 102nd Ave. and Weidler St. in Portland, is a former Circuit City store.
The new office is set to open in 2014. It will replace the Division Medical Office, whose lease will expire in June of that year.............

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/ind...chases_la.html

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 1:56 AM

Yeah, there's lots going on out there, I just wish it wasn't such an auto-oriented area. I hope with time it gets better.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 4:31 AM
A before E

Eventually that area is suppose to turn into being another urban district in the city. I think we will see a lot of block by block additions, but overall I think the area is gonna need an urban complex and an active masterplan that is being built for the area to really turn into an urban district.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 1:20 AM

FINALLY, a Starbucks at 122nd and Halsey! Now under construction.

https://www.facebook.com/ParkroseStarbucks

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 2:28 AM

Quote:
PARKING IT

For the last two decades the majority of new public parks, trails, and plazas have been built in Portland’s city center, neglecting the other large swaths of the city that also needed them. This sacrifice was part of a grand effort to revitalize a major city’s downtown during a time period of substantial suburban growth. This focus saw the creation of some of Portland’s most favored plazas, Jamison Square and Director Park, and ample lengths of new waterfront pathways including the Vera Katz Eastside Esplanade, the Springwater Corridor, and the South Waterfront Greenway. Today, central Portland is renowned for its livability and accessibility, and the city leaders have taken notice of that success as they turn their heads to the outer ‘other Portland.’ In the current draft of the new Portland Comprehensive Plan, numerous park and trail projects are still being planned for the central areas, like the Green Loop (pdf) and rebuilding Waterfront Park (pdf), but the plan also calls for more immediate action in East Portland. In the next two years Portland Parks & Recreation will build three new parks in underserved Northeast neighborhoods, and start the first phase of the Gateway Green project just east of Rocky Butte.
...continues at Place over Time.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland