HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 7:02 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence7 View Post
A quick Photoshop 'render' I did today... Original image is courtesy of NYGuy.

Since 2 and 3WTC will take some time to get built, 1WTC will totally dominate the (Lower) Manhattan skyline this decade. Nothing comes close in height and massiveness.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 7:23 PM
World Machine

^^^ It will be nice for this tower to get some attention in the meantime - perfect opportunity for the world to take in the tower.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Since 2 and 3WTC will take some time to get built, 1WTC will totally dominate the (Lower) Manhattan skyline this decade. Nothing comes close in height and massiveness.
As nice as 2WTC is, I'm looking forward to the interval between T1's completion and T2's completion, as it looks like the view from the Brooklyn-Fulton Landing waterfront area will be absolutely gorgeous during that time. Imagine the wonderful future shot of the unobstructed T1/Beekman/Woolworth trio...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 7:54 PM
BANNED

I love t2 & especially t3 but I think that there should be a limit on their heights...tower 2 is way too close to t1's height so it won't dominate as much. However it's still amazing to think that tower 3 is around the current height of tower 1

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Man this tower really looks massive!
It really is! Last time I saw 1 WTC in person, the steel was past the 80th story, and I gave myself a crick in my neck looking all the way up to the top. It was pretty massive then! I can't imagine it right now or when it's finally completely done... Everybody in lower Manhattan will have cricks in their necks

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 8:28 PM

Quote:

Why is it that this reminds me of the North tower so much?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
Why is it that this reminds me of the North tower so much?
Probably the height, spire, and massing. David Childs himself has stated that this tower was designed to "memorialize what was lost, while looking towards the future." or something to that effect.

It's also a familiar mark on the skyline. Back in the mid-90s, when I first moved to New York, I used the North Tower as a sort of waypoint. Anytime I was lost and didn't know where I was, I looked for the Twins, and knew immediately where I was and how to get where I needed to go. I'm sure 1WTC will have that same effect.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelo View Post
Probably the height, spire, and massing. David Childs himself has stated that this tower was designed to "memorialize what was lost, while looking towards the future." or something to that effect.

It's also a familiar mark on the skyline. Back in the mid-90s, when I first moved to New York, I used the North Tower as a sort of waypoint. Anytime I was lost and didn't know where I was, I looked for the Twins, and knew immediately where I was and how to get where I needed to go. I'm sure 1WTC will have that same effect.
Thanks.I also believe that beacon at night will serve as a waypoint.Also,do you like the new 1WTC as much as old WTC 1&2 or anywhere near it because I've seen some of your post showing your love towards the old and how you met your girlfriend in the north tower?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
Thanks.I also believe that beacon at night will serve as a waypoint.Also,do you like the new 1WTC as much as old WTC 1&2 or anywhere near it because I've seen some of your post showing your love towards the old and how you met your girlfriend in the north tower?
I didn't like it at first, but it's grown on me as the building has started to rise. Alot of that had to do with the redesign, as the Libeskind FT was rather irrelevant to the site, and really didn't belong there.

My love towards the old buildings is mostly for the time I spent there from 97-01 and the people I worked with. I used to want to see the Twins rebuilt, but I think we're definitely getting a better complex this time around.

And yes, I did meet my girlfriend in the Tobin Plaza in July 2000. She's now my wife

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 9:13 PM

Wink

Everytime I see what the finished tower will look like in artistic renderings, I am more impressed. I think people will love it when it's done. Once the cladding is done, and the spire erected, it is really going to be awe-inspiring to people I believe, especially when they see it in the flesh. It really does remind one of the sillouhette of the twin towers, especially the north tower, with its spire. I at first wanted the Twins rebuilt, now I like 1wtc. And although I am not from New York I would definately say that it will be a visible marker for people all over the city to help them orient themselves. When it is topped out, it will even dwarf the Beekman, seen from Brooklyn. 1wtc will be one of the top tourist attractions in the city. It will begin to be put on every postcard, t-shirt, poster, etc. People are going to want to visit it, to visit the observation deck and take in those incredible views that we haven't had since we lost the twins. I'm quite optimistic about the impact 1wtc will have on the city!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Everytime I see what the finished tower will look like in artistic renderings, I am more impressed. I think people will love it when it's done. Once the cladding is done, and the spire erected, it is really going to be awe-inspiring to people I believe, especially when they see it in the flesh. It really does remind one of the sillouhette of the twin towers, especially the north tower, with its spire. I at first wanted the Twins rebuilt, now I like 1wtc. And although I am not from New York I would definately say that it will be a visible marker for people all over the city to help them orient themselves. When it is topped out, it will even dwarf the Beekman, seen from Brooklyn. 1wtc will be one of the top tourist attractions in the city. It will begin to be put on every postcard, t-shirt, poster, etc. People are going to want to visit it, to visit the observation deck and take in those incredible views that we haven't had since we lost the twins. I'm quite optimistic about the impact 1wtc will have on the city!
It will. Back in October I drew a sketch from the picture I took from Brooklyn Bridge Park to give a scale of how big it would be.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 9:29 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ It's going to be a tidy bit shorter than your paint renderings show.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
^ It's going to be a tidy bit shorter than your paint renderings show.
I know, but the mast is what would really make it show.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 9:45 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:

This will be the standard view we'll be having one year from today. It's like having half of what was lost but a whole of the greatness. I know I keep saying it,but this decade will be great for the NY skyline. And when 2 and WTC 3 are built, it will be even better (2 WTC needs to work as a twin to this tower to make sure an anchor is very much apparent in Lower Manhattan like it was before).

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 9:53 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
I know, but the mast is what would really make it show.
The mast (in my opinion) will be seen from all over NYC (especially at night with the lighting).

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
This will be the standard view we'll be having one year from today. It's like having half of what was lost but a whole of the greatness. I know I keep saying it,but this decade will be great for the NY skyline. And when 2 and WTC 3 are built, it will be even better (2 WTC needs to work as a twin to this tower to make sure an anchor is very much apparent in Lower Manhattan like it was before).
Sorry but a twin of One World Trade Center will never exist, because there is no room, and the site of Two World Trade Center is already designed for the current plans.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 10:09 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Plus it would look disgusting, having TWO 1700 footers (1300 footers), one 1200 footer, one 1100 footer and one 900 footer ALL in close proximity to each other. They had TWO choices rebuild the WTC or go on an extremely different route and start from scratch, and they took the less likely and plausible route. It's fine for what it is but a poor mans replacement for the lost.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dense_Electric View Post
What's up with the larger-looking columns around the 40th-ish floor? There are no mechanical floors or sky lobbies until floor 66 (65?), correct?
Hmmm not sure.. anyone else know?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 10:16 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ Well there's a skylobby on the 64th floor, and the (40th-ish) floor is actually the (60th-ish) floor, continuing on the (equivalent to) 20 floor base/lobby.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 10:22 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive