HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

View Poll Results: How often would you use the high speed rail if there were one
very often 1 5.00%
often 3 15.00%
sometimes 6 30.00%
rarely 6 30.00%
never 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 2:26 AM
proud Calgarian

Calgary to Edmonton high speed rail

This thread is based upon the discussed Calgary to Edmonton high speed rail line.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 3:11 AM

Given the drive from Calgary to Edmonton is only 2.5 hours I can hardly see a high speed rail being much of a time saver after driving to the station, arriving early to get your ticket/board, 1 hour trip on a fast train, get off, get a cab or car, by this point I am probably driving into the town anyhow and saved money using my car.

A far better investment would be improving the highways so that an increase in the speed limit to 130km/h can become a reality. They can use speed limit signs that can be adjusted remotely to lower the speed limit in poor conditions such as icy roads, fog, ect...

Much more useful for way more people and way cheaper than building a hsr system.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 4:54 AM
proud Calgarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
Given the drive from Calgary to Edmonton is only 2.5 hours I can hardly see a high speed rail being much of a time saver after driving to the station, arriving early to get your ticket/board, 1 hour trip on a fast train, get off, get a cab or car, by this point I am probably driving into the town anyhow and saved money using my car.

A far better investment would be improving the highways so that an increase in the speed limit to 130km/h can become a reality. They can use speed limit signs that can be adjusted remotely to lower the speed limit in poor conditions such as icy roads, fog, ect...

Much more useful for way more people and way cheaper than building a hsr system.
I completely agree, i go up to Edmonton 4-5 times per year and if there were a train that went up there i would take ALL the time

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 4:58 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

I usually only go to Calgary a couple of times a year. If HSR is priced right and stations conveniently located, I would probably go more often.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 7:42 PM

Are you REALLY going to resurrect this stupid thread? That horse has been beaten dead so many times already. FFS.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 11:38 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ I think as long as the subject keep coming up in political circles, it will never truly die.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 1:40 AM
YYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
I usually only go to Calgary a couple of times a year. If HSR is priced right and stations conveniently located, I would probably go more often.
I would imagine if this went through there would be station in both Downtown Calgary and Downtown Edmonton as well By both YYC and YEG airports.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 4:41 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ I imagine so as well.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia