HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 6:01 AM

It's a small miracle: some well designed contemporary infill in East Portland. Request for Response [PDF] for 10506 E Burnside.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 6:21 AM

Early Assistance has been requested for a project at 11144 NE Sandy Blvd:

Quote:
Proposed 4-story Motel 6 with surface parking.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 4:47 AM

Early Assistance has been requested for a project at 9100 SE Powell Blvd:

Quote:
Demo existing McDonald’s and rebuild a new McDonald’s.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 7:44 PM

Early Assistance has been requested for a project at 14601 SE Division St :

Quote:
Demo existing resteraunt – new construction of Fred Meyer gas station with 6 dispensers, 12 fueling stations with small cashier kiosk, propane tank, air/water station, restroom/breakroom building and trash enclosure

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 7:23 PM

A project at 15023 SE Stark St has been submitted for building permit review by DECA Architecture:

Quote:
New 3 story 40 unit apartment building, site improvements, stormwater facility, and 21 stall parking lot.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 12:28 AM

Drawings [PDF - 73MB] for the East Burnside Apartments

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Drawings [PDF - 73MB] for the East Burnside Apartments
you KNOW a project is a winner when it includes:
prefinished 6" extruded aluminum TONGUE & GROOVE cladding, 'light fir woodgrain finish'
delightful.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 10:53 PM

I'm a modernist at heart, so won't defend making one material look like another, but one the whole I like this one. It's simple, well composed and restrained. There's not a whole lot that gets built east of I-205, and what does get built is usually terrible. I think this is a massive step up.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:01 PM

Quote:
I'm a modernist at heart, so won't defend making one material look like another, but one the whole I like this one. It's simple, well composed and restrained. There's not a whole lot that gets built east of I-205, and what does get built is usually terrible. I think this is a massive step up.
great point - I should have mentioned that I like the project overall. should be a great addition to a part of town that traditionally does not get decent design.

faux treatments make me more than a little crazy...

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 7:32 PM

Staff Report [PDF] for the East Burnside Apts, which recommends approval.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:19 AM

Five buildings at 26 SE 146th Ave have been submitted for building permit review by Doug Circosta Architect:

Quote:
Construct new 3 story (12) unit apartment building; with associated site work; building 1 of 5

Construct new 3 story (24) unit apartment building; building 2 of 5

Construct new 3 story (7) unit apartment building; building 3 of 5

Construct new 3 story (18) unit apartment building; building 4 of 5

Construct new 2 story (1) unit apartment building with laundry on main floor; building 5 of 5

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Affordable apartment complex opens in East Portland

The latest project resulting from a partnership between nonprofit PHC Northwest and developer Rob Justus is about ready to open its doors to lower-income families.

Fern Grove, a 33-unit Southeast Portland complex of three-bedroom apartments designed for three to seven people, will hold a grand opening ceremony June 2. Rents, which PHC said will be $984, are set to be affordable to households making 60 percent of area median income or less.

The $4.2 million three-building complex is at the southwest corner of East Burnside Street and Southeast 143rd Avenue – a short walk to the East 148th Avenue MAX station. PHC owns and funded the project and Justus built it.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 7:28 PM

Revised drawings [PDF - 14MB] for the East Burnside Apartments.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Revised drawings [PDF - 14MB] for the East Burnside Apartments.
Design Commission approved this yesterday. I really like the project. Hope it's a model for other developments in the area.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 7:47 PM

Early Assistance has been requested by BAMA Architecture and Design for a project at 15215 SE Powell Blvd:

Quote:
Demo and rebuild new residential care facility – 25 beds – no parking on site
A building permit was issued for a project at 13643 E Burnside St (formerly 13641 E Burnside St):

Quote:
Construct new 1 story six plex; with associated site work; 3 detached trash areas less than 120 sf

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 7:17 PM

Ankrom Moisan Architects have requested Early Assistance for the Stark I & II project at 12613 SE Stark St:

Quote:
PHB project: Affordable housing development consisting of approximately 162 units divided across three 4-story buildings. Limited amenities on site including a community room, laundry, surface parking and a playground. No retail. All storm water addressed on site.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 7:11 PM

Early Assistance has been requested by Koble Creative Architecture for a project at 232 NE 97th Ave:

Quote:
New construction of two new five story apartment buildings.
A building permit was issued to BAMA Design for a project at 2566 SE 109th Ave (formerly 2558 SE 109th):

Quote:
New single story 15 bed residential care facility

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:14 PM

Building permit is under review for a project at 223 SE 146th Ave:

Quote:
Construct 3 story, 3 unit apartment building

Construct 3 story, 24 unit apartment building

Construct 3 story, 24 unit apartment building, includes parking and associated site work, detached trash enclosure is less than 120ft in area
Ankrom Moisan Architects have submitted the East Burnside Apartments at 10506 E Burnside for building permit review:

Quote:
New construction of five story multidwelling residential building, consisting of 52 unit with 15 tuck-under parking spaces. Interior trash room

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
I'm telling you guys Gateway is going to blow up soon. It's the most untapped part of Portland nobody is talking about. Its relatively closeness to downtown (about a 9min drive on the freeway) It's little changes like this that will eventually transform Gateway to the next big area. It might not be tomorrow but I'll say easily within 5 years a lot of changes will be coming that have Gateway in a boom.

While also this is coming with a bunch of other improvements along the corridor including a new park at 106th. A real game changer would be some sort of connection from the MAX stop at Gateway to…anywhere! There is no signs, no wayfinding, and definitely no safe route to get from the MAX to Halsey or even 102nd. I have done this a couple of times, and even knowing where I was going I found it very confusing and unsafe. Portland claims it wants this to be a town center, but this transit center design tells a completely different story. Anyway, good for Halsey-Weidler- I can see this being a great place for redevelopment in the very near future.
I think we're finally getting to the point where Gateway can take off. To me it seems like the ideal environment in which to build small office buildings with first floor commercial. Perhaps a lifestyle center would be a good catalyst in establishing the Gateway area as a place to be. The demographics of the area are decent to become a regional center and there really is no core for Multnomah County east of Mount Tabor/65th or so. Given that 40% of Portland's youth live East of 82nd and a third of Portland's population and you're looking at an area of approximately 300,000 with no heart. Gateway can become that. If I were a developer I would be salivating.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
I think we're finally getting to the point where Gateway can take off. To me it seems like the ideal environment in which to build small office buildings with first floor commercial. Perhaps a lifestyle center would be a good catalyst in establishing the Gateway area as a place to be. The demographics of the area are decent to become a regional center and there really is no core for Multnomah County east of Mount Tabor/65th or so. Given that 40% of Portland's youth live East of 82nd and a third of Portland's population and you're looking at an area of approximately 300,000 with no heart. Gateway can become that. If I were a developer I would be salivating.
While admittedly antiquated (2010), the data here, is a good snapshot of Gateway. Note that it remains one of the more sparsely populated areas of East Portland, and it is by far the most densely business-oriented area. The PDC continues to sit on Parcel III, which borders NE Pacific and 102nd. If anything has the potential to be a catalyst, this would be the unavoidable candidate.

Anecdotally, even my parents and relatives still won't go to Gateway for dinner etc. when I visit. Thanks to Mac we have a pretty clear idea of the potential development, which by my count is 7+ in the making (but very diffuse). Until Gateway develops a sense of "place," i.e. people go to that specific street to simply walk around (note it has plans to become the best biking neighborhood in the state), I have concerns about its future. 2-3 buildings on 102nd with ground floor retail might change this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland