HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 4:51 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
The Global and Mail Article lists Saskatoon-Winnipeg and Regina=Winnipeg as two routes being considered.. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2418751/
I would have expected those to be some of the first new routes.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I would have expected those to be some of the first new routes.
Ya, they'll do it. To fly a B737 to YWG (especially from YQR) is not economically pragmatic. On the other hand, a 76-seat Q400 will fit that niche just fine.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 2:41 AM

Saskatoon airport becoming 'increasingly important gateway': chair

BY JASON WARICK, THE STARPHOENIX MAY 14, 2012

Saskatoon’s airport is thriving, with record passenger volumes and an upcoming $53-million terminal expansion, according to Saskatoon Airport Authority officials.

“This is an increasingly important gateway connecting Saskatoon to the world,” Saskatoon Airport Authority chair Nancy Hopkins said Monday.

Hopkins was speaking at the authority’s annual general meeting, held in one of the airport’s baggage areas.

The airport processed a record-1.2 million passengers in 2011, up 2.5 per cent over 2010.

[.........]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...#ixzz1uu1LAGG7

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 6:44 AM

Best year ever for Saskatoon Airport Authority

Reported by Kelly Malone, Newstalk 650 CKOM

First Posted: May 14, 2012 3:30pm | Last Updated: May 14, 2012 3:38pm

Saskatoon Airport Authority (SAA) saw their best year ever.

The John G. Diefenbaker International Airport set records in passenger traffic, availability of air service connections and aviation activity on airport lands in 2011.

At the annual public meeting held Monday, Nancy Hopkins, chair of the Board of Directors said that more than 1.2 million passengers visited the airport.

"(We are) a global gateway connecting Saskatchewan to the world," said Hopkins.

Last year brought in $21.9 million general and capital revenues. After expenditures there was $3.9 million as profit - largely set aside in a capital fund.

The SAA said that the achievements of last year have set the stage for the next chapter of airport growth. They have started a 10-year $115 million capital investment plan. It included a $53 million expansion to the airport that started this spring.

[.............]

Read more:
http://ckom.com/story/best-year-ever...uthority/56800

Interesting. The article hints that, once the current expansion is complete, the SAA plans to move ahead with a parking structure and privately-funded on-site hotel. Saskatoon International Airport really needs a multi-level parking structure, in my opinion. Great to hear that one may be in the works.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 4:33 AM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Best year ever for Saskatoon Airport Authority

Reported by Kelly Malone, Newstalk 650 CKOM

First Posted: May 14, 2012 3:30pm | Last Updated: May 14, 2012 3:38pm

Saskatoon Airport Authority (SAA) saw their best year ever.

The John G. Diefenbaker International Airport set records in passenger traffic, availability of air service connections and aviation activity on airport lands in 2011.

At the annual public meeting held Monday, Nancy Hopkins, chair of the Board of Directors said that more than 1.2 million passengers visited the airport.

"(We are) a global gateway connecting Saskatchewan to the world," said Hopkins.

Last year brought in $21.9 million general and capital revenues. After expenditures there was $3.9 million as profit - largely set aside in a capital fund.

The SAA said that the achievements of last year have set the stage for the next chapter of airport growth. They have started a 10-year $115 million capital investment plan. It included a $53 million expansion to the airport that started this spring.

[.............]

Read more:
http://ckom.com/story/best-year-ever...uthority/56800

Interesting. The article hints that, once the current expansion is complete, the SAA plans to move ahead with a parking structure and privately-funded on-site hotel. Saskatoon International Airport really needs a multi-level parking structure, in my opinion. Great to hear that one may be in the works.
There is definitely more going on at Saskatoon International than just the expansion of the ATB. They are moving a structure that used to be used as a RCMP detachment when SAA funded on-site police, then leased. I do believe this may be where the parking structure will go. As well, some of the land along the service road and the Air Canada cargo and other cargo services are located, the ground is being dug up. Not sure for what yet though.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 4:14 PM

Good time to travel to Turkey from Saskatoon or Regina!

KLM cuts prices to Istanbul from 10 Canadian cities

by Chris Myden, National Post, June 13, 2012

I’ve been waiting a long time for this! Turkey has always been near the top of my list of places on this planet that I want to check out (and it’s a long list). Fares are *never* cheap though, and usually hover around a minimum of $1300-$1400 roundtrip after taxes from Western Canada.

But then KLM decided to have a contest, and offered Istanbul as one of the cities to be put on sale for 50% off.

I can’t emphasize enough how rare an opportunity this is, especially from Western Canada, or any of Canada’s not so large cities. If you’ve ever wanted to visit Turkey at an insane price, this is your chance.

[........]

Read more:
http://life.nationalpost.com/2012/06...dadian-cities/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 4:29 PM

Quote:
KLM cuts prices to Istanbul from 10 Canadian cities

by Chris Myden, National Post, June 13, 2012

I’ve been waiting a long time for this! Turkey has always been near the top of my list of places on this planet that I want to check out (and it’s a long list). Fares are *never* cheap though, and usually hover around a minimum of $1300-$1400 roundtrip after taxes from Western Canada.

But then KLM decided to have a contest, and offered Istanbul as one of the cities to be put on sale for 50% off.

I can’t emphasize enough how rare an opportunity this is, especially from Western Canada, or any of Canada’s not so large cities. If you’ve ever wanted to visit Turkey at an insane price, this is your chance.

[........]

Read more:
http://life.nationalpost.com/2012/06...dadian-cities/
That would be great 'n all that; however, would those flights be non-stop from SK airports, or would one have to first commute to YVR, YYC, YYZ or YUL. That aspect is not clear in that article.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 5:32 PM
Heart of the Continent

KLM wouldn't fly non stop to small Canadian airports....but they do have a code share agreement with Westjet

Last edited by jmt18325; Jun 14, 2012 at 2:08 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 9:29 PM

Quote:
KLM wouldn't fly non stop to small Canadian airports....but they do have a code share agreement with KLM
That sounds right. Since last year, the RAA and SAA have been talking with the German airline: Condor about having non-stop service to Regina/Saskatoon.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:39 AM

Quote:
KLM wouldn't fly non stop to small Canadian airports....but they do have a code share agreement with KLM
I believe the code-share is with WestJet.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 2:08 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
I believe the code-share is with WestJet.
You would be correct.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 8:52 PM
ConstructionPete

2 months of construction at YXE

Temporary Customs and Immigration Ramp

Demolishing the ground loading and international gates

Contruction of 'Pier' foundation and services

Moving the "old" RCMP Barracks when YXE had onsite police

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
Moving the "old" RCMP Barracks when YXE had onsite police
Thanks... nice photos...

Kalin - Do you know where the old RCMP building is moving to? Repurposed for another Airport use of it going offsite?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 3:15 AM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Thanks... nice photos...

Kalin - Do you know where the old RCMP building is moving to? Repurposed for another Airport use of it going offsite?
It's still on airport land, moved across from the Air Canada cargo and other cargo businesses along the airport service road. My guess is the airport is going to lease the space out as their long term goal is have the airport land full of airport services and related business... kind of like the AeroPark the city is trying to develop.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 5:32 AM
ConstructionPete

Saskatoon International Airport traffic up 7.5% in Q2

Saskatoon International Airport has seen its 12 consecutive month of increase passenger traffic. Q2 represents a 7.5% increase in passenger volumes totaling a 7% overall increase passenger traffic year over year. This increase adds to a 30% increase over the lat 5 years! Domestic, Transborder, and International sun-destinations all saw increases in Q2 traffic.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Saskatoon International Airport has seen its 12 consecutive month of increase passenger traffic. Q2 represents a 7.5% increase in passenger volumes totaling a 7% overall increase passenger traffic year over year. This increase adds to a 30% increase over the lat 5 years! Domestic, Transborder, and International sun-destinations all saw increases in Q2 traffic.
Those are impressive numbers. Do you think YXE will break the 1.3 million passenger threshold this year?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Those are impressive numbers. Do you think YXE will break the 1.3 million passenger threshold this year?
Most likely in the 1,275,000 pax range. (But that's still pretty good though!)

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 11:39 PM

Saskatoon airport growth continues

Bigger growth possible with more flights

Reported by Chris Carr, July 17, 2012, NewsTalk 650 CKOM

The numbers keep going up at the Saskatoon airport with passenger traffic jumping about seven per cent from where it was this time last year.

Don Atchison, Saskatoon's mayor said he believes those number would be even higher, if there was more aircraft coming and going in and out of Saskatoon.

"That's one of the things that really hurts us these days. We're just not getting enough aircraft through the city," said Atchision.

Atchision says he would like to see direct flight to and from markets like Asia and Europe.

[........]

Read more:
http://ckom.com/story/saskatoon-airp...ontinues/65951

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 6:06 PM
ConstructionPete

Post More Capacity Please - more options!

Quote:
Saskatoon airport growth continues

Bigger growth possible with more flights

Reported by Chris Carr, July 17, 2012, NewsTalk 650 CKOM

The numbers keep going up at the Saskatoon airport with passenger traffic jumping about seven per cent from where it was this time last year.

Don Atchison, Saskatoon's mayor said he believes those number would be even higher, if there was more aircraft coming and going in and out of Saskatoon.

"That's one of the things that really hurts us these days. We're just not getting enough aircraft through the city," said Atchision.

Atchision says he would like to see direct flight to and from markets like Asia and Europe.

[........]

Read more:
http://ckom.com/story/saskatoon-airp...ontinues/65951

Passenger growth is definitely a plus however, with growth means over-sale. This does not look good on the Airline or the Airport authority. To give some perspective domestically, in an 8 hour period, it's typical for at least 1 flight to centers such as Toronto, Calgary, and even Winnipeg, to be oversold. The issue at YXE is not having the capacity for the amount of passengers flying. There are two options to solve this problem. 1) Increase the number of flights to these domestic hubs; however, this increases the cost to airlines as fee's associate with additional aircraft arrival/departure increase. 2) Airlines increase their passenger capacity vs. flight quantity. The typical aircraft flying into Saskatoon for Air Canada is the CRJ200, which can hold approximately 50 passengers (Westjet - Boeing 737-200). Air Canada could start servicing YXE with larger aircraft such as the Embraer 175. The flight capacities increase, however the flight quantity stays the same, thus landing fee's stay relatively the same (fee's are usually based on aircraft capacities). A con to this suggestion - airlines finding larger aircraft to service YXE thus putting additional pressure on their limited fleets. If the current airlines can't take advantage of increased passenger loads, SAA must look to other regional airlines to pick up the short falls, such as Porter, or even encourage local airlines such as Transwest Air to pick up the slack to short-range hubs such as Calgary and Winnipeg.

Internationally, I've always felt that SAA pursuing international flights to ASIA and Europe was beyond reality; rather wishful thinking. There is a overlapping problem with flights to domestic hubs. These flights are oversold. Two reasons: 1) Business Travel 2) Destination and International connection Travel. SAA should be actively seeking and creating an attractive business plan for US airlines to service US hubs. Not only will this take pressure off the domestic flights with connections to US international destination/hub, as well it would allow passengers at YXE to fly direct to more US destinations or US international hub connectors such as Los Angeles. (For example, flying to Auckland, New Zealand, YXE-DEN-LAX-New Zealand or even flying to Las Vegas, YXE-YYC-LAS)

US hubs would service YXE well, whether it be 1-2 flights weekly. For example: Los Angeles, Ft. Lauderdale, and New York. I also believe Westjet should expand it's direct YXE - LAS flight from it's current two times' weekly from September to June seasonal to a direct year round, reduced to 1 a week during the non-seasonal service time. During it's seasonal flights to Vegas, Westjet fills it's Boeing 737-800 to near capacity if not capacity every flight. As well, increasing it's seasonal service to Phoenix an additional 2-3 months from it's current 5-6 month flying season would be beneficial.

On top of these recommendations, I believe YXE could service several more direct international sunspot-destinations as the 20% increase proves. Either provide larger aircraft, increased number of flights, more destinations, or an earlier start-up season such as late November, early December.

I believe there is huge potential for YXE, however SAA must look inside our continental boundaries before they look beyond an unrealistic reality.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2012, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Passenger growth is definitely a plus however, with growth means over-sale. This does not look good on the Airline or the Airport authority. To give some perspective domestically, in an 8 hour period, it's typical for at least 1 flight to centers such as Toronto, Calgary, and even Winnipeg, to be oversold. The issue at YXE is not having the capacity for the amount of passengers flying. There are two options to solve this problem. 1) Increase the number of flights to these domestic hubs; however, this increases the cost to airlines as fee's associate with additional aircraft arrival/departure increase. 2) Airlines increase their passenger capacity vs. flight quantity. The typical aircraft flying into Saskatoon for Air Canada is the CRJ200, which can hold approximately 50 passengers (Westjet - Boeing 737-200). Air Canada could start servicing YXE with larger aircraft such as the Embraer 175. The flight capacities increase, however the flight quantity stays the same, thus landing fee's stay relatively the same (fee's are usually based on aircraft capacities). A con to this suggestion - airlines finding larger aircraft to service YXE thus putting additional pressure on their limited fleets. If the current airlines can't take advantage of increased passenger loads, SAA must look to other regional airlines to pick up the short falls, such as Porter, or even encourage local airlines such as Transwest Air to pick up the slack to short-range hubs such as Calgary and Winnipeg.

Internationally, I've always felt that SAA pursuing international flights to ASIA and Europe was beyond reality; rather wishful thinking. There is a overlapping problem with flights to domestic hubs. These flights are oversold. Two reasons: 1) Business Travel 2) Destination and International connection Travel. SAA should be actively seeking and creating an attractive business plan for US airlines to service US hubs. Not only will this take pressure off the domestic flights with connections to US international destination/hub, as well it would allow passengers at YXE to fly direct to more US destinations or US international hub connectors such as Los Angeles. (For example, flying to Auckland, New Zealand, YXE-DEN-LAX-New Zealand or even flying to Las Vegas, YXE-YYC-LAS)

US hubs would service YXE well, whether it be 1-2 flights weekly. For example: Los Angeles, Ft. Lauderdale, and New York. I also believe Westjet should expand it's direct YXE - LAS flight from it's current two times' weekly from September to June seasonal to a direct year round, reduced to 1 a week during the non-seasonal service time. During it's seasonal flights to Vegas, Westjet fills it's Boeing 737-800 to near capacity if not capacity every flight. As well, increasing it's seasonal service to Phoenix an additional 2-3 months from it's current 5-6 month flying season would be beneficial.

On top of these recommendations, I believe YXE could service several more direct international sunspot-destinations as the 20% increase proves. Either provide larger aircraft, increased number of flights, more destinations, or an earlier start-up season such as late November, early December.

I believe there is huge potential for YXE, however SAA must look inside our continental boundaries before they look beyond an unrealistic reality.
I have been reading up on how airlines do fleet planning. It sounds like the 50 passengers CRJ-200 aircraft that Air Canada (Jazz) and United runs are very fuel inefficient relative to larger modern Jets and turbo-props. It also looks like Air Canada and Jazz have come to an agreement to reduce the number of CRJ-200 in the fleet and replace some of them with Q400 turbo props holding 75 passengers. The new Q400 have been deployed in central Canada but as more of them come on line we see some out on the parries. If that is the case could we be seeing a shift from 50 seat to 75 seat planes on the runs into Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg.

With WestJet getting the Q400 also. We will see the local airport have a large percentage of turbo prop aircraft.

The problem is the general population has a negative view of these turbo prop aircraft. Weird given this new generation is suppose to be as quiet as jets and similar speed for such a short route. In places like Toronto and Ottawa they board the Q400 by overhead bridges the same as the jets. Hopefully the new bridges in Saskatoon are capable of working with Q400 easily.

On the United side I don't know. I think they are still running the Chicago flight with a stop in Regina to pickup passengers. Not certain how viable the flight is if they can't fill a 50 to 75 seat plane on Saskatoon alone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan