HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 4:52 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
No I believe your comments about Ontario are what started this, you know (all brown lakes, barren rocks and boring trees). If you knew anything about the photos and the locations I posted you would know they are all very easily accessible by car. Anybody that's spent anytime in central or Norther Ontario knows this. If you're going to bash another province don't expect to not be called on it. You started this not me. If you can't take the heat, well you know the rest.

By the way, my beach picture, my car was parked right behind me.

Hwy 60 Muskoka/Haliburton
By Bel RiderBlue on flickr
http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1220/1...e3d1805c_b.jpg

Hwy 35 passes hundreds of Blue lakes
Dorset Haliburton
By: gdrurrell
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2299/1...215d2a85_b.jpg
You want to go back and have a look whom you quoted on that brown lakes comment? Hint... it wasn't me.

Yes... you will pass lakes (just as it's possible here), but as with that last picture, you're generally going to go out of your way to get that view; it's not just a look out your window from the highway view. And same idea for the beach picture... yes, I'm sure you drove to the beach (we are a car culture afterall)... but the highway isn't right there... it's off of the highway, which is what you brought up when you said "drive through wheatfields, or this". Lovely beaches/vista from the crests of hills aren't highway sights (like the wheatfields you were comparing to are).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
You want to go back and have a look whom you quoted on that brown lakes comment? Hint... it wasn't me.

Yes... you will pass lakes (just as it's possible here), but as with that last picture, you're generally going to go out of your way to get that view; it's not just a look out your window from the highway view.

As for the beach picture... yes, I'm sure you drove to the beach... but the highway isn't right there... it's off of the highway, which is what you brought up when you said "drive through wheatfields, or this".
That's not true at all, you don't have to go out of your way to pass by lakes, beaches, and cliffs in this province. But how many people take pictures from moving cars when they can just pull over at one of many rest stops and scenic look-outs? That beach was only about 4 minute drive off of hwy 518. Pictures from cars suck, my girlfriend took about 100 with my camera on the way back from Temagami but they all ended up looking like shit so I dumped them.

ps- Sorry for mistaking you with the person who posted that comment.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 5:25 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
That's not true at all, you don't have to go out of your way to pass by lakes, beaches, and cliffs in this province. But how many people take pictures from moving cars when they can just pull over at one of many rest stops and scenic look-outs? That beach was only about 4 minute drive off of hwy 518. Pictures from cars suck, my girlfriend took about 100 with my camera on the way back from Temagami but they all ended up looking like shit so I dumped them.

ps- Sorry for mistaking you with the person who posted that comment.
You don't take pictures from moving cars... but you look at the scenery as you drive by (which is what you were getting at with the comment that I took issue with).

But anyway, I'm done with my part in the little debate (it's pointless and really nothing is gained from it), and I'll end off back on topic with a picturesque aerial view from the Qu'appelle Valley system that stretches through Saskatchewan:

Source

And of Grasslands National Park (at the very southern Edge of Saskatchewan):

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwharwood/7482235982/in/photostream]Source[url]

In the Grasslands Park, they have reintroduced wild Plains Bison (as you can see in the above picture), which have not roamed there in over 100 years prior to the reintroduction. They recently reintroduced black-footed ferrets too(an endangered species), and the park is also one of the largest dark sky preserves in Canada.

Last edited by Nathan; Aug 19, 2012 at 5:36 AM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 12:56 AM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
While it is definitely beautiful scenery, do you typically drive through/on/in beaches, patios, docks, cliffs, hiking trails, water caverns, rivers, and lakes?
Well they did invent these things called boats.....

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 4:10 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold View Post
Well they did invent these things called boats.....
Did you even read anything else in the thread other than that one comment? It might be necessary for some context which you seem to have missed... He was comparing driving through wheatfields to the beaches, cliffs, caverns, etc. So while I am fully aware that there are motorised floating aquatic crafts (they're called boats you say?), for an equitable comparison, it's highway driving... which involves cars.

In any case the discussion/debate ran its course, and I don't intend on getting back into it.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 5:43 AM

Well not to derail the discussion but here are some photos of "off-the-beaten-path" areas on the North(umberland) Shore of Nova Scotia. All photos taken by me and are hosted on my Flickr.com Photostream (Urban_Halifax)

"The strait's shallow depths lend to warm water temperatures in summer months, with some areas reaching 25 °C, or 77 °F. Consequently the strait is reportedly home to the warmest ocean water temperatures in Canada, and some of the warmest ocean water temperatures on the Atlantic coast north of Virginia"

"While the western shores of Cape Breton Island and northeastern shores of the Nova Scotia peninsula are dominated by granite, sedimentary rocks along the central and western parts of the strait, as well as the entire south shore of Prince Edward Island, consist of sandstone, lending to beautiful sandy beaches with minimal coastal development. The largest island in the strait is Pictou Island."

- Exerts from Wikipedia's Northumberland Strait Page

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 1:25 PM

Here is my hometown Rimouski, Qc

St Lawrence River, Rimouski. With the "Parc du Bic" hills in background

Going to Gaspesie

The "Rocher Percé"

Hope you enjoy
All pictures are mine

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 5:33 PM

^^^ Great photos! If this place could get a little warmer, it'll be paradise on earth. Let's burn some fossil fuel!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2012, 4:46 AM

Old Posted Sep 2, 2012, 4:53 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

C'est comme Gros Mourne.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2012, 2:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

ALMA & FUNDY NATIONAL PARK, NEW BRUNSWICK

Alma is a small fishing village in southern New Brunswick, located on the upper reaches of the Bay of Fundy at the mouth of the Little Salmon River. The village is located about 80 km south of Moncton and lies at the entrance to Fundy National Park. The full time population of the community is about 250, but rises considerably in the summertime.

The main fishery is lobster and scallops. The economy of the village however is considerably supplemented by the adjacent national park. Many of the national park employees live in the community and the tourist trade gives Alma a vibe not usually seen in small fishing communities.

The village was founded in the 1850's and is named for the Battle of Alma in the Crimean War. The first female master mariner and licensed commercial sea captain in North America was from Alma. She got her papers way back in 1939, which was quite an accomplishment for the time. She had a great name which suited her perfectly - Captain Molly Kool.

The village as seen from the mouth of the Little Salmon River.

Looking up the Little Salmon River towards the Caledonia Highlands.

Fishing boats resting on the seafloor. The Bay of Fundy has the highest tidal range in the world, nearly 60 feet in the Minas Basin.

More fishing boats at rest. At high tide, they are level with the dock.

Beach in front of Alma.

Beach again.

The next pictures are all of Main Street in Alma:

As you cross the bridge over the Little Salmon River on the west end of town, you enter Fundy National Park

Fundy was established as a national park in 1948 and encompasses 207 square kilometers. As such, it is one of the older and smaller national parks in Canada.

Park entrance.

little Salmon River

Beach at park entrance.

Visitors Centre and park wardens office.

Golf course.

Golf course as seen from near the first tee.

Looking across towards Nova Scotia.

Point Wolfe covered bridge. This had to be rebuilt in 1992 after being accidentally blown up during a botched attempt to remove an adjacent unstable boulder. They used too much dynamite!!

Covered bridge again.

There are many hiking trails in the park such as this one.

Looking back on the Point Wolfe Bridge from the Shiphaven Trail.

Lookoff from the entrance to the Dickson Falls Trail.

Dickson Falls Trail

Dickson Falls. It's been a very hot and dry summer so the falls are only a shadow of their normal self.

Lookoff over the head of the Bay of Fundy. You can see Cape Enrage in the distance.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 6:20 AM

Saskatchewan (mine)
Hope to capture some again with our new Nikon.

Cypress Hills

Churchill River

Frenchman River Valley

Drought....dried up slough

A rarely seen sight out in the countryside (usually we freeze too hard and they die)

Grasslands National Park

Great Sandhills

Gull Lake

Ghost town

Kellogg's Frosted Wheat

Rockglen District

Saskatchewan River Valley.....Sandcastle (so much bigger than it looks here)

From further back

Am so wanting to see Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick in person!

Quebec is so gorgeous but I'm afraid being an English only speaker I'd probably skip visiting there (I've heard Montreal is accepting of Anglais but the countryside is a different story).

Love this thread!

Last edited by PrairieGirl; Sep 7, 2012 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 1:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
Quebec is so gorgeous but I'm afraid being an English only speaker I'd probably skip visiting there (I've heard Montreal is accepting of Anglais but the countryside is a different story).
It's no different than visiting any other part of the world where English isn't the main language.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 1:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Seconded. Even places like Quebec City, which some people talk about as if there's a sort of French gestapo wandering the streets and harassing anyone speaking English, were, in my experience, very welcoming.

I mentioned before that the only time anyone in Quebec City asked me to repeat something, "this time in French", it was a waitress who did it the same way one in Newfoundland might insist tourists get Screeched In. She was all smiles and excitement and just wanted to give us a taste of the culture.

You should go - it's very different from the prairies and you might love it as something new.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 12:52 AM

Maybe I've just had bad luck and it is possible that the only Quebecers that I've met may have been separatists.

Years ago, whilst waitressing, some young Quebecers snarled at me for the English only menu they rec'd, then gave their order in French, and were again snarly when I couldn't understand......(they could speak English very well).

A couple of years ago a man from Trois-Rivières came into my workplace and his attitude, to everyone he spoke to there, was the same as the young adults above (he however spoke English the whole time).

My son worked at the local tourism office and had similiar experiences (only they didn't know he could speak and understand French....the first words they had to say to him, in their native tongue, weren't flattering).

Online I've met some very friendly Montrealers and exchanged plants with them. Eventually we spoke on the phone and I discovered how lovely the French accent sounds when the person speaking is friendly.

My employer once stated how much she enjoyed Montreal but, unfortunately, found the countryside not as welcoming. That came out after the fellow from Trois-Rivières departed.

I know isn't fair judging a whole province by the people above but they are the only truly French Quebecers I've met. *no I do remember one pleasant fellow.....he and another Francophone came into my workplace and one only spoke French (with a little attitude). The *much* friendlier French speaking Quebecer reminded him they are both working out west and to let it go (he however spoke, the whole time, in English).

I wouldn't mind just hearing French if the person was somewhat understanding (and spoke a little slower) just like others I've met from different countries that can't speak English.

My son and daughter just came back from visiting Italy, Czech Republic, Germany, Netherlands and London. They loved Italy, the Czech Republic and the Netherlands and would return in a heartbeat because of the people. Germany and London however they found less than friendly (and in London they could speak the language). Their ancestors came from Scotland, Germany, Ireland, Switzerland, England and Hungary so no favoritism here.

Last edited by PrairieGirl; Sep 7, 2012 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 1:22 AM

^^^ It's hard to guess what their intentions are. However, a lot of Quebecois won't speak to you in English simply because they can't. They may understand it, read it, write it, but speaking it is a lot harder, especially if you caught them off guard. What comes out as rude may just be a misunderstanding.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 1:51 AM

Quote:
You've probably never done the drive. Sure they're obviously not all from cars, I generally don't nor do most people take pictures from moving vehicles, but scenery like that can be viewed along many northern and central highways. Just google map the north and follow any highway, nothing but forests and 1000's of lakes.
Not to revive the brief bit of ugliness from last month, but I just wanted to reinforce Andrew's argument by pointing out that there are an estimated 250,000+ lakes in Ontario. We're not suffering for a lack of lakes.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 2:45 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
Maybe I've just had bad luck and it is possible that the only Quebecers that I've met may have been separatists.

Years ago, whilst waitressing, some young Quebecers snarled at me for the English only menu they rec'd, then gave their order in French, and were again snarly when I couldn't understand......(they could speak English very well).

A couple of years ago a man from Trois-Rivières came into my workplace and his attitude, to everyone he spoke to there, was the same as the young adults above (he however spoke English the whole time).

My son worked at the local tourism office and had similiar experiences (only they didn't know he could speak and understand French....the first words they had to say to him, in their native tongue, weren't flattering).

Online I've met some very friendly Montrealers and exchanged plants with them. Eventually we spoke on the phone and I discovered how lovely the French accent sounds when the person speaking is friendly.

My employer once stated how much she enjoyed Montreal but, unfortunately, found the countryside not as welcoming. That came out after the fellow from Trois-Rivières departed.

I know isn't fair judging a whole province by the people above but they are the only truly French Quebecers I've met. *no I do remember one pleasant fellow.....he and another Francophone came into my workplace and one only spoke French (with a little attitude). The *much* friendlier French speaking Quebecer reminded him they are both working out west and to let it go (he however spoke, the whole time, in English).

I wouldn't mind just hearing French if the person was somewhat understanding (and spoke a little slower) just like others I've met from different countries that can't speak English.

My son and daughter just came back from visiting Italy, Czech Republic, Germany, Netherlands and London. They loved Italy, the Czech Republic and the Netherlands and would return in a heartbeat because of the people. Germany and London however they found less than friendly (and in London they could speak the language). Their ancestors came from Scotland, Germany, Ireland, Switzerland, England and Hungary so no favoritism here.
This almost sounds like a Perfect Storm of bad experiences with French-speaking Canadians.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 3:31 AM
Look at me!

There's a thread for this kind of garbage. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=201197

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 3:36 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
There's a thread for this kind of garbage. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=201197
Be nice now. My intentions were good!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada