HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
MUNSU still drives us nuts. They never change.

They're extremely ignorant to what us science students need. MUNSU is made up of a large number of arts students who have no idea what our needs or desires are. This building, while ascetically unpleasing, is extremely needed.

The Chemistry and Science buildings will be repurposed once the majority of the lab space has been moved. Classrooms in the new building are unnecessary since the old lab space in the old buildings can be converted to classrooms. And a new lecture hall is not needed, there are plenty on campus at the moment. Only a few first year classes have the class sizes that large.

And teaching space absolutely includes lab space. That's actually the most valuable teaching time for a science student. Class work means jack shit if you can't actually put it to practice. Not that I expect someone who sits in a classroom reading about peoples feelings all day to understand. And student gathering places? She takes exception that for some reason. The building has space allocated for undergraduate student societies. If she wants more, she must be reminded that this is a place of learning, not a place of play.
Sounds like the science community needs more representation on MUNSU. From the sound of it MUNSU doesn't seem to be taken seriously, which is a shame. But nonetheless, if they continue to complain about issues such as this with what appears to be little understanding then the trend will just continue. Were MUNSU included during consultation and design phases?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Sounds like the science community needs more representation on MUNSU. From the sound of it MUNSU doesn't seem to be taken seriously, which is a shame. But nonetheless, if they continue to complain about issues such as this with what appears to be little understanding then the trend will just continue. Were MUNSU included during consultation and design phases?
The problem is the average science student doesn't have the free time to be involved in these types of extra-curriculars. During my undergraduate degree, we often had class from 9 to 12, 5 days a week, followed by 2-5 pm lab slots every day. Any time not spent in the class or teaching labs were then used to write lab reports or conduct research in your research lab. In contrast, many arts students only have to attend classes 2-3 times a week. There is a science rep. on MUNSU, but they've been silent on this issue.

There was a committee of both faculty and students which were involved during consultation and design. I can't speak as to if MUNSU had anyone there, my guess is no. I can say with certainty though, that the person quoted in that CBC interview was not involved in the process.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:57 PM

The Core Sciences project has been ongoing for 4 years with extensive consultation and even public input. The MUN Board of Regents who approve all such projects, includes 4 student members, one from each of the 4 student unions (MUNSU, GSU, Marine Inst Student Union and the Grenfell Student Union) so MUNSU should certainly have been aware of the concepts of the project. Seems a bit late of MUNSU to have objections now that building construction has started but none during the design and consultation phases.

A quick search on the MUN web page shows lots of background material on the project, including that there's 78,000 square feet of space for "other teaching and support spaces, including faculty and student collaboration space" in addition to the 98,000 square feet of teaching labs. A quote from the Head of Engineering and Computer Engineering Department shows how little MUNSU knows about the Building -

"The move to the new Core Science Facility will definitely enhance the teaching and learning environment,” said Dr. Peters. “Our students and professors will benefit from an increase in teaching and research laboratory space, including a teaching computer laboratory designed to accommodate a variety of teaching styles, such as flipped classroom, pair and small group work. Our students will also benefit from new junior and senior design studios.”

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 5:02 PM

Quote:
The problem is the average science student doesn't have the free time to be involved in these types of extra-curriculars. During my undergraduate degree, we often had class from 9 to 12, 5 days a week, followed by 2-5 pm lab slots every day. Any time not spent in the class or teaching labs were then used to write lab reports or conduct research in your research lab. In contrast, many arts students only have to attend classes 2-3 times a week. There is a science rep. on MUNSU, but they've been silent on this issue.

There was a committee of both faculty and students which were involved during consultation and design. I can't speak as to if MUNSU had anyone there, my guess is no. I can say with certainty though, that the person quoted in that CBC interview was not involved in the process.
Yes I fully understand the time commitment issue for science/engineering students as they spend more time in class/labs and studies are priority number (I was one of them not too long ago....). It's just unfortunate that the science reps are remaining silent on the issue; although I suspect it's to prevent any backlash from the other reps - mob mentality tends to be contagious.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
The Core Sciences project has been ongoing for 4 years with extensive consultation and even public input. The MUN Board of Regents who approve all such projects, includes 4 student members, one from each of the 4 student unions (MUNSU, GSU, Marine Inst Student Union and the Grenfell Student Union) so MUNSU should certainly have been aware of the concepts of the project. Seems a bit late of MUNSU to have objections now that building construction has started but none during the design and consultation phases.

A quick search on the MUN web page shows lots of background material on the project, including that there's 78,000 square feet of space for "other teaching and support spaces, including faculty and student collaboration space" in addition to the 98,000 square feet of teaching labs. A quote from the Head of Engineering and Computer Engineering Department shows how little MUNSU knows about the Building -

"The move to the new Core Science Facility will definitely enhance the teaching and learning environment,” said Dr. Peters. “Our students and professors will benefit from an increase in teaching and research laboratory space, including a teaching computer laboratory designed to accommodate a variety of teaching styles, such as flipped classroom, pair and small group work. Our students will also benefit from new junior and senior design studios.”
It appears this is more of a 'I want a piece of the pie' reaction than a legitimate concern. As it stands, science and engineering students will benefit the most from this building - which makes perfect sense seeing it is a core science building. This is a good example not being able to please everyone.... oh well, I guess that's there opinion. Pretty weak evidence to support a claim to stop construction if you ask me.

Just to clarify - I'm not saying Arts (and other) students should be given the short end of the stick here, I just think they can't expect the same benefits as science students. If this were a core arts facility I'd present the same argument for science students.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 2:15 PM

Question White Elephant?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 2:42 PM

Some restaurant news from the MUN Gazette about a couple of new eateries coming to the University.

https://gazette.mun.ca/campus-and-co...y/new-vendors/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Some restaurant news from the MUN Gazette about a couple of new eateries coming to the University.

https://gazette.mun.ca/campus-and-co...y/new-vendors/
It's a shame Starbucks didn't try and get in the door, they'd probably do better than Tim Hortons with the University demographic.

Mustang Sally's is a great choice for the UC.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 12:18 AM

Churchill Square would be a prime location for a Starbucks. With Pizza Hut gone, there is a location there.

Quote:
It's a shame Starbucks didn't try and get in the door, they'd probably do better than Tim Hortons with the University demographic.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 4:41 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:

I'm incredibly jealous that Mustang Sally's wasn't at the UC when I was in school. It continues to be one of my favourite spots for a meal under 20, and has been since I was getting 3am feeds there after George Street.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 7:02 PM

Quote:

Is Treats still in the food court? I don't know how they survived with the most disgusting coffee I've ever tasted in my life.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Is Treats still in the food court? I don't know how they survived with the most disgusting coffee I've ever tasted in my life.
Treats is still in the UC. I don't know how it's surviving, but it is.

Agree with the Starbucks in Churchill Square idea - there's no centrally located Starbucks in St. John's so this would be a great location for them to open up. Being so close to the university and not far from Confederation Building, I'd say they'd have no trouble with business. I know I'd stop in there on the way to work for sure.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethf1985 View Post
Treats is still in the UC. I don't know how it's surviving, but it is.

Agree with the Starbucks in Churchill Square idea - there's no centrally located Starbucks in St. John's so this would be a great location for them to open up. Being so close to the university and not far from Confederation Building, I'd say they'd have no trouble with business. I know I'd stop in there on the way to work for sure.
Yeah, seems like a no-brainer for Starbucks to have a location in that part of town.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Churchill Square would be a prime location for a Starbucks. With Pizza Hut gone, there is a location there.
Pizza Hut is gone?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 1:19 PM

Quote:

Jumping Bean is in the library, it's too bad they're not in the UC too. I prefer their coffee over Starbucks.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
I'm incredibly jealous that Mustang Sally's wasn't at the UC when I was in school. It continues to be one of my favourite spots for a meal under 20, and has been since I was getting 3am feeds there after George Street.
Don't know what their hours will be like but I'd stop in there rather than fool around trying to park downtown. I've attempted making the stir-fry that I get at Mustang Sally's at home and it's been pretty awesome.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 10:29 PM

Let's try this again: Memorial University reviewing bids on new science building

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcoffey View Post
There was only two bidders Pomerleau and Marco, all other contractors backed out due to the project is going to be a long dragged out well over budgeted project in the end.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 12:03 PM

It's back on.

Small changes, big savings: how construction of MUN's new science building will stay on budget

Marco Services contractually obligated to keep project from going over budget

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...tion-1.4088042

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 10:47 PM

Construction has resumed. Some concrete being poured, sidewalk on Arctic Ave south side being removed. The first tower crane is being assembled, should become visible soon. There's two pads showing, and East and West crane, don't know if there's a third.

Here's a view of the east crane pad.

Last edited by rthomasd; Jun 12, 2017 at 9:34 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's