HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 8:17 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
I just confirmed through a contractor working on the project that there is no height reduction as reported here earlier. In fact, there's currently talk about adding a floor.

Also was told that demo begins in January. We shall see...

Very good news indeed!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
I just confirmed through a contractor working on the project that there is no height reduction as reported here earlier. In fact, there's currently talk about adding a floor.

Also was told that demo begins in January. We shall see...
Just thinking out-loud....what's the last major development this cycle that required demolition of an existing building? Feels like outside of Harpo Studio in the WL that all projects, atleast of this magnitude, have been on vacant lots or surface parking sites. I'm sure I am missing a few...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
Just thinking out-loud....what's the last major development this cycle that required demolition of an existing building? Feels like outside of Harpo Studio in the WL that all projects, atleast of this magnitude, have been on vacant lots or surface parking sites. I'm sure I am missing a few...
Well, the walgreens torn down for the new CNA.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 9:56 PM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Still in the pipeline, but 300 N Michigan will knock down a 4 story building.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...03-column.html

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/5/15...wer-renderings

Also the Essex garage.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
There's also that boutique office tower on Wells. It hasn't started construction yet, but the 4-story parking deck it will replace is already gone.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer2019 View Post
Still in the pipeline, but 300 N Michigan will knock down a 4 story building.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...03-column.html

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/5/15...wer-renderings

Also the Essex garage.
Bleh. I forgot about this one. I really enjoy that existing low rise, but I've known its days were numbered

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 12:34 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
There's also that boutique office tower on Wells. It hasn't started construction yet, but the 4-story parking deck it will replace is already gone.
Yep I’ve been wondering about this one for a while

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I spend hours each week in meetings with this view. I really want this one, to watch it rise and continue the solid wall that RiverPoint and 150 started.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 1:58 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Very cool little project. A bonus of this project is that the little 8 story Chicago school building on the corner of Wells and Adams is probably too small of a lot to redevelop, ensuring the building will stick around. Alone its nothing all that special, but it is a nice contributing historic building along that block long section of Adams.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:48 PM

Federal review could hold up planned Wacker Drive skyscraper
via Curbed Chicago
Quote:
After receiving full approval from the City of Chicago earlier this year, an 800-foot riverfront office tower will need the blessing of the federal government’s U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to be realized. The process recently became more complicated once it was determined that the existing 1958 General Growth Building (formerly the Morton Salt Building) at 110 N. Wacker Drive is historically significant.

So could a Section 106 review really hold things up this late in the process?

Also, the article shows new rendering of the project. Only two northern setbacks instead of three and maybe looks shorter. The image is also on the 110 Wacker website.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:52 PM
Development Shill

Yeah, I hope that isn't a new rendering, because that is definitely a downgrade in quality and design. Also, who is the idiot designated the General Growth Building as historically significant? They should be smacked. That thing is a piece of crap

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Yeah, I hope that isn't a new rendering, because that is definitely a downgrade in quality and design. Also, who is the idiot designated the General Growth Building as historically significant? They should be smacked. That thing is a piece of crap
Looks like the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency is responsible. It looks like this is really just about soliciting feedback for the survey that’s gonna be done of the GGP building before it’s demolished. At least i hope that’s what it is - it would be crazy to block it at the last minute like this.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Federal review could hold up planned Wacker Drive skyscraper
via Curbed Chicago

So could a Section 106 review really hold things up this late in the process?

Also, the article shows new rendering of the project. Only two northern setbacks instead of three and maybe looks shorter. The image is also on the 110 Wacker website.
Same floor count as before so I doubt that it's shorter.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 9:57 PM

Actually it looks like the same height but it looks like they removed a setback wich would be a shame!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 9:58 PM
The City

This almost certainly is a formality. Hell, they didn't stop Prentice's demolition despite the enormous controversy. The GGP's preservation has practically no political backing

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 10:22 PM

Not nearly as elegant...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Not nearly as elegant...
Agreed. What a shame.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 10:46 PM
1st Ward

Ugh, this city demolishes complete masterpieces without a second thought but now someone decided that the GGC building is worth consideration for protection? Where were these vocal idiots when the Chicago Stock Exchange got demo'd? Frustrating.

As for the new rendering, I agree with everyone that it looks worse than the previous version. Hopefully its design still a work in progress?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 10:54 PM

I don’t think the lost set back makes much of a difference. The base and the west facade are the key points on this tower. I find it unlikely that the GGB will be saved. It’s grossly underutilized land, and an eyesore to boot.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:13 PM

The two tier design has definitely been around a while (it was on display at Open House, and I believe there was even a PD amendment to include the revised design).

I am not sure what exactly drove it (maybe the upper floor tenant -- BofA? -- needed larger floor plates or it was driven by a revision of the cores), but either way, my understanding is that the redesign is official and that the building's CDs are largely done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive