HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 7:49 PM

55 MIL by the City eh? No wonder they cannot afford street garbage collection anymore.

Read: 55 mil spent for bike corridor and nearby resident vegetable garden improvement, so that the city will look more like Copenhagen on the surface.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
And a mall, a really really big one. Kerrisdale needs a mega mall.
Oh, that's the best suggestion I've heard from you!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/...tml?channel=50

CP will share in future proceeds too, wonder what that means
What it means is CP is getting $55 million but if in the future Vancouver "changes its mind" and eases off on the restrictions for the area that forced CP to sell to them, CP gets some compensation.

For example, Vancouver pays $55 million and a lot of people get pissed so Vancouver now in control goes "Ok on second thought... some of this can be redeveloped into high rises"

CP then goes "BUT WAIT you denied us that you flip floppers!" That won't happen now CP will get something in compensation.

Ultimately in looking at what has been released so far I think CP won the day.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 8:11 PM

When I first heard the news, I was happy. It is good to see that they are preserving the corridor and as long as the corridor is there, anything is possible.

As for drawing any conclusions of whether or not rapid transit will be incorporated, it's too early to tell. The rendering they came up with was probably so they could just have a nice visual with their announcement.

For those who fear it will just be a bike path, the Arbutus Corridor is mentioned in the Transportation 2040 plan. Also my hunch is the city isn't just spending $55 million and not anticipating new transit + development.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
The value is in the corridor, not the tracks. And from the prominent placement of the bicycle, "Arbutus Greenway" sign, benches etc. it's abundantly clear that the city intends to merely pay lipservice to making it a proper transportation corridor. Thus, the tracks remain in renderings, for now.
My money is on "the city is nuts", this is definitely something that isn't going to last the election cycle. What will inevitably happen is that they will "leave" the rails in the ground, eg cement them in, to prevent them from being stolen and to keep that space reserved, but ultimately some future city council won't care about this and sell off all the land to developers to recoup that 55 million loss on it.

I don't ever see a streetcar or light rail going down it, it's too close to the Canada Line, and unless that line becomes over-capacity, there is no reason to put anything down it, and if the Canada Line actually needs such a relief line, there would be a push to build another subway.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 8:14 PM

I said CP was FOFS and I was right.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
My money is on "the city is nuts", this is definitely something that isn't going to last the election cycle. What will inevitably happen is that they will "leave" the rails in the ground, eg cement them in, to prevent them from being stolen and to keep that space reserved, but ultimately some future city council won't care about this and sell off all the land to developers to recoup that 55 million loss on it.

I don't ever see a streetcar or light rail going down it, it's too close to the Canada Line, and unless that line becomes over-capacity, there is no reason to put anything down it, and if the Canada Line actually needs such a relief line, there would be a push to build another subway.
It's about 3 km from the Cambie Corridor, so it's not too close. While I agree it won't be that useful from a regional level, it would be useful for travel in the area. There are a few higher density areas on the corridor area such as near Broadway and 41st. If you connected it to the Canada Line via Marpole, it would also a higher density in Marpole on Granville St. If it connected to the existing streetcar corridor, it would also serve Granville Island.

While I would definitely not label it a priority, I don't rapid transit would be a waste.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Waste of tax dollars. "Uneeded land" will be sold with revenue split 50/50.
I will say back in September 2014 I said this in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
I wonder if the city would budge on development of some parts of the corridor near already dense areas to provide the value that CPR needs to let go of the rest of the land. It would require a cooperative council though.
Which was a step further from this:

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Van...516/story.html

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 8:41 PM

Fluussshhh...

The sound of my tax dollars going to provide another park for that overprivileged neighbourhood.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 8:45 PM

Ridership along rapid transit stations is very high, hitting 50% at some stations. I'm betting we'll see a Cambie Corridor type plan in the next 5 years or so.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 9:02 PM
Reason and Freedom

Some apparent details regarding the revenue sharing that CP negotiated in addition to the $55 Million sale price:

Quote:
The standoff has now ended with the railway company settling for not only a higher transaction price tag, more than twice of what was originally proposed by the City, but also a revenue sharing agreement should any of the Corridor’s lands be used for development purposes.

Under the agreement between the two parties, CP could receive 75 per cent of the first $50 million of the proceeds from land used for development. This decreases to 50 per cent and 25 per cent for further increments of $50 million in proceeds, up to $150 million.
So, if my math is correct, then CP would be entitled to an additional $75 million, for a total of $130 million, if the lands are developed for $150 million or more.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/03/c...or-55-million/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 9:04 PM

To be clear, portions of the space will be sold, probably sooner rather than later, once the core "transportation corridor" has been set.

Total land is 45 acres. Remains to be seen what portion of that will be sold. It's not beyond the realm of reason for the city to be able to recoup their $55M in sales, development fees, and future property taxes from a small portion of the 45 acres.

That being said, they really bent over to CP on the surface. I'd love to know the details or comparisons used to justify these prices.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Some apparent details regarding the revenue sharing that CP negotiated in addition to the $55 Million sale price:

So, if my math is correct, then CP would be entitled to an additional $75 million, for a total of $130 million, if the lands are developed for $150 million or more.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/03/c...or-55-million/
And the city would get 12.5M + 25M + 37.5M = $75M on the same $150M sale.

Sounds win-win if the development goes through to that level. I just have no idea what parcels at what rate would be up for sale.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
And the city would get 12.5M + 25M + 37.5M = $75M on the same $150M sale.

Sounds win-win if the development goes through to that level. I just have no idea what parcels at what rate would be up for sale.
Maps for reference:
http://www.cpr.ca/en/community-site/...uly%202014.pdf

I imagine everything wider than 10 (maybe 15) meters that abuts a road will be up for sale, along with city land which is adjacent.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Maps for reference:
http://www.cpr.ca/en/community-site/...uly%202014.pdf

I imagine everything wider than 10 (maybe 15) meters that abuts a road will be up for sale, along with city land which is adjacent.
Thanks for those maps! Going through them, I don't see how they can possibly sell off any reasonable parcels of land for redevelopment of condos without encroaching the dedicated bike/park corridor. I think we got screwed once more. Say good bye to the 55mil.

Add that to the 200mil to be used for viaduct removal.....

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 10:15 PM
loafing in lotusland

Actually, I'm glad CP gets a portion of proceeds. It will make the land LESS valuable for use other than actual transit. Not that it would stop the present council Wasting money on removing transportation infrastructure ( viaducts ) seems to be the modus operandi of this civic government.

And if the Arbutus corridor is too close to Cambie, then what of the Millennium line, which is about the same distance ( or closer ) to the Expo line at pretty much all points in the city of Vancouver (admittedly, it is further apart when it enters Burnaby). Also, if it's too close, then a Hastings Line is definitely too close to the Millennium line, as it's less than 2km away at most points.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 10:45 PM
Vancouverite

Cool six years later, this thread is still going strong !

CP must be happy with this deal, it sets precedent for the marpole line decades from now.

I'll start the new "Marpole Spur?" thread around 2020

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
The City got totally bent over in this deal.

As a taxpayer, I am absolutely irate. There was no real rush to make the deal other than to appease those who were unlawfully infringing on the corridor.

He mentions the corridor being used as a multipurpose pathway with the potential of it being used as a passenger /commuter rail line. They will never ever consider doing that now as it would be political suicide. The fact that the ties/crossings are being immediately ripped out highlights where the City is going with this plan. The present circumstances had the beneficial effect of preventing the corridor from being converted into anything that might be difficult to displace

The City has spent 55 million dollars to make a greenway and to allow those community gardens to be built on that corridor. That is utterly disgusting.
There was a bit of a rush. According to federal law, all CP had to do was officially put it up for sale at "salvage value" to local transportation agencies and governments. If no deal could be reached, they could then sell it on the open market.

I think both sides were feeling pressure, because if they couldn't agree on the value, they could ask for it to be assessed by the feds. And who knows what they could have said the value was. They could have sided with the zoning and said the land was worthless because nothing could be done on it, or they could have said the land was as valuable as land on the open market, thus forcing the city to potentially pay upwards of $200 million. It could have been a coin toss as to who would come out victorious. If they couldn't reach an agreement within a few weeks of it being officially for sale, CP could sell it to whomever was interested. And maybe there is someone out there with deep pockets that would take a $150 million chance on the land. Then the city is stuck with dealing with a developer with clout and councilors in his pocket.

So CP was probably threatening to move the sale forward "officially". If the city didn't act and come to terms privately, they could have been forced into an even worse deal (or passing on the land all together) by 3rd party assessment.

As for value, in 2010, Richmond bought 14.7 acres from CP along 3.6km of Railway Ave for $5 million. That's about $340,136/acre.

Vancouver paid basically $1.2 million/acre.

If you go to BC assessment, a property on W 18 ave (the cheap side of Arbutus) values the land at $2.6 million for about a 0.14 Acre property. So an Acre of land in the general area goes for about $18.5 million. Buying 45 acres of undeveloped land would cost $836 million, at BC assessment prices, not market. If you look at what a commercial property is worth on West Blvd in Kerisdale, BC assessment gives them about a value of $36 million/acre (for just the land of a zoned commercial building).

So, kind of a deal. I think the city should have gotten a better deal because the land will never see that kind of value, ever, but with the way real estate prices are skyrocketing recently, it's better to lock it down now than let CP get fully belligerent and try the open market.

Some Chinese investor might have been willing to put up $50 million for 45 acres of land in this market without caring about the zoning. Hell, maybe it's all a joke and the city is just going to Shadow flip the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
When I first heard the news, I was happy. It is good to see that they are preserving the corridor and as long as the corridor is there, anything is possible.

As for drawing any conclusions of whether or not rapid transit will be incorporated, it's too early to tell. The rendering they came up with was probably so they could just have a nice visual with their announcement.

For those who fear it will just be a bike path, the Arbutus Corridor is mentioned in the Transportation 2040 plan. Also my hunch is the city isn't just spending $55 million and not anticipating new transit + development.
Vision might be doing everything they can to screw over the car and promote bicycle ridership, but they haven't touched the city's old streetcar plans. They haven't moved them forward one iota, but they also haven't screwed over future councils from implementing them. They haven't so much as touched the ROW they own along the south side of False Creek; they haven't removed the medians on First or Pacific, and haven't altered any of the other reserved ROW for the streetcar in downtown. They've even politely included renders of streetcars in plans for NEFC. Even the new construction on the corner of 1st and Quebec is being setback far enough to build the streetcar.

If reserving the Arbutus ROW for future rapid/mass transit use is part of an official plan (which it is), then I believe Vision will respect that. A bicycle greenway is just a lightly paved stretch of dirt. If another council decides that light rail is in the best interests of the community, it costs nothing to rip it up.

There is plenty of room there for both anyway. The render shown earlier makes the ROW look much tighter than it actually is, IMO.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 1:10 AM

The future may also elect to cut and cover Skytrain then put the cycling paths back on top.

The CTV article reports that CP also has to tear out the tracks within a year by this agreement. Hence, the tracks will be gone whether the rendering includes them or not.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 1:14 AM

I think it's good that CP gets a share of any upside revenue - it'll keep the City honest and provide CP with a remedy if the City flip flops and sells any of the land. There are bound to be little bits and corner that could be sold off - so to try to account for that now in the purchase price would be unrealistic.

As others have expressed - my concern would be that if they develop it as a bike and pathway system, that'll prevent future reconfiguration as a surface LRT (i.e. feeder line to Broadway Skytrain or even across Granville Bridge to downtown) due to public outcry.
If a future line has to be underground - that'll be a significant barrier to getting the project off the ground (especially as a smaller scale streetcar).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure