HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Sign was up today at the Henderson / Chief Peguis intersection announcing the long speculated Boston Pizza at River East Plaza opening in 2012.
Any idea when construction on this new BP is going to start?

I would love for it to be done before summers over so I can get some patio use in before winter.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 8:12 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post

I would love for it to be done before summers over so I can get some patio use in before winter.
The Northern part of Winnipeg could use a Keg. Garden City or Transcona?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 8:49 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post

It should start in about a week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
The Northern part of Winnipeg could use a Keg. Garden City or Transcona?
The Keg had a site next to the Steinbach Credit Union on Lagimodiere, but the deal fell through.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 9:02 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Henderson never had "charm" around Whellams.
true....but even less so now.

add it to the half dozen mud lots surrounded by chain link....that terrible condo complex on the river....its a pretty terrible strip these days.

im not sure that the big empty lot across from frasers grove on henderson where the gas station used to be qualifies as charm...although the strip mall there is better than it used to be...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 11:13 PM

The two lots on Henderson Hwy are owned by Devon Estates (the property management division of Esso).

I wonder if they are sitting empty because they may be contaminated and no one wants to pay the cost to clean up the lots and reuse them. There are at least another 3 or 4 closed Esso stations that were knocked down and the lots just fenced in after excavation of the tanks.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:46 AM

apparently, tenders come out next winter on main to mcphillips

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 5:35 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
apparently, tenders come out next winter on main to mcphillips
You mean there's actual concrete plans to extend from Main to McPhillips? What's the source? Are we expecting any announcements for this extension in the next few months?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:32 AM
Uzer Error

Wink

Main Street to Route 90 by 2016? That's wishful thinking indeed...

Article:

Posted: 03/23/2012 1:00 AM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...143939336.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen Skerritt
One city councillor wants Winnipeg to get its asphalt in gear and finish two major freeways sooner rather than later.

At their April meeting, city council will debate whether Winnipeg should extend the Chief Peguis Trail all the way to Route 90 and the William Clement Parkway to Wilkes Avenue by 2016. Currently, the city's transportation master plan says Winnipeg should extend the Chief Peguis Trail to McPhillips Street by 2021 at a cost of $110 million, and connect it through to Route 90 by 2031 for an estimated $130 million.

The planning document says the William Clement Parkway extension will cost an estimated $60 million and be complete by 2021.

Old Kildonan Coun. Devi Sharma said the timeline for the $300-million road projects is too far in the future and they should be done within the next few years. Sharma introduced a motion to get the work done now and said she's not trying to compete with funding for other projects -- such as the second phase of the city's rapid-transit corridor -- but she believes these road projects should be made a bigger priority.

She said the Chief Peguis extension will be one of the main transportation routes for CentrePort and reduce truck traffic on other regional streets. The William Clement Parkway extension is expected to help facilitate the future Ridgewood South development in Charleswood and reduce existing traffic issues.

Sharma said the city would have to ask the provincial and federal governments to help pay for the roadwork.

"The time is now," she said. "It's something my constituents want and quite frankly, I think it should be a priority for the City of Winnipeg."

Coun. Jenny Gerbasi (Fort Rouge) said she's concerned council will be asked to make changes to its long-term transportation plan just a few months after it was approved. There is no funding in place for other short-term projects, she said, and adding to the "wish list" could mean other infrastructure priorities are pushed back if the city can't afford it.

Earlier this week, city council approved its 2012 operating budget without a 20-cent transit fare hike that was to pay the city's portion of the $300-million cost of the second leg of Winnipeg's rapid-transit corridor. City council approved the master transportation plan with a goal of completing the corridor by 2016.

"If we move all these road widenings to suburbs that aren't even built yet, we will never see rapid transit," Gerbasi said. "One of our problems is we always have a long wish list that's larger than the money available. The longer the list is, the less clear our priorities are, and things fall off the table."

Sharma said she believes the motion will have the support of the majority of council.

Coun. Paula Havixbeck (Charleswood-Tuxedo) said there are serious congestion problems in her ward, and a lot of traffic from the current William Clement Parkway spills over from Grant Avenue onto residential streets. She said the CentrePort project, the new Seasons of Tuxedo retail development and the Ridgewood South housing development will add more traffic to the area, and the roadway extension is important for the entire city.

"The province essentially said no to us with rapid transit, so maybe they'll say yes to this," Havixbeck said.

jen.skerritt@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 5:52 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

There also is the argument of what has a higher priority, whether it be Phase 2 of the rapid transit line, or this. The problem is finding a balance between the two in terms of funding, even though they're both equally important, with the rapid transit line being very important for better service of public transportation in the city, while CPT being important for the longer term, because of CentrePort.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 4:25 PM

Very interesting news.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 4:36 PM

Well its quite obvious that the city has no money for the CPT expansion to start immediately, or else it would of been in progress already. As promising as this sounds, I wonder how long till this is shot down... I don't use the bus, so in my view this would benefit me more than RT.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 3:42 AM

First of all, since when is CPT a "major freeway" ? while it would be nice to see this extension happen sooner, rather than later. It only makes sense to finish the brt to the U of M. first. Which begs another question. Are they seriously going to end it at Pembina and Bison? and not go into the U of M/stadium area?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 4:49 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDBO View Post
First of all, since when is CPT a "major freeway" ? while it would be nice to see this extension happen sooner, rather than later. It only makes sense to finish the brt to the U of M. first. Which begs another question. Are they seriously going to end it at Pembina and Bison? and not go into the U of M/stadium area?
It's a shade of gray, but that's the plan so far. If they decide to turn off into the campus right down the middle to the stadium area, then kudos to the city for that extra part. Frankly, I can't find a reason why they couldn't. It would be lame of them if they say "oh, it's too much money already."

Right...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
There also is the argument of what has a higher priority, whether it be Phase 2 of the rapid transit line, or this. The problem is finding a balance between the two in terms of funding, even though they're both equally important, with the rapid transit line being very important for better service of public transportation in the city, while CPT being important for the longer term, because of CentrePort.
I think they should wait to see the results of the rapid transit corridor usage. Building and promoting rapid transit is all well and good but if it's the same people who take the bus as were taking it before its a colossal waste of money. If ridership doesn't increase dramatically that's all that's needed to rationalize funding chief peguis over a second phase of rapid transit.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I think they should wait to see the results of the rapid transit corridor usage. Building and promoting rapid transit is all well and good but if it's the same people who take the bus as were taking it before its a colossal waste of money. If ridership doesn't increase dramatically that's all that's needed to rationalize funding chief peguis over a second phase of rapid transit.
How can we expect to see a big increase of BRT ridership if the corridor has only 3 stops and isn't even 4 km long? It's still just that, an unfinished RT leg.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 12:02 PM

I drove by the Henderson intersection last night and noticed the sewer pumping station at the corner.

I thought that chain link fencing was just for construction but realized that it appears to be a permanent install. I can't think of any other visible station that is fenced in like that.

Considerating that Henderson Highway is suppose to be an image route you think the PPP would have spent some money to soften up the look.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 4:50 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
I drove by the Henderson intersection last night and noticed the sewer pumping station at the corner.

I thought that chain link fencing was just for construction but realized that it appears to be a permanent install. I can't think of any other visible station that is fenced in like that.

Considerating that Henderson Highway is suppose to be an image route you think the PPP would have spent some money to soften up the look.
If by "soften up the look" you mean "landscaping the whole area" then yes, they're going to do that this spring, to finish up paving the paths, and putting sod or grass seeds on bare soil.

But yeah, that little pumping station is there for a reason. Albeit slightly tacky when fenced up like that, but perhaps it gives a sense to security for those responsible of this whole project, yes?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 5:10 AM

Quote:

It's an eye sore, that's for sure...

The pump station on the Lag underpass over the CN line is not fenced in. In fact, its right on the side of the road and when crews access it, we lose the right lane.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 4:35 PM

With the Ikea/Seasons of Tuxedo development I think extending the William Clement Parkway to Wilkes Avenue makes sense. The problem is that Wilkes west of Shaftesbury is in really rough shape and already handling a high volume of vehicles. For this extension to make sense Wilkes would need to have additional lanes added between Shaftesbury and William Clement.

I think that with all the development planned for that area the city really needs to get a Wilkes rehabilitation/expansion on the books sooner than later.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 5:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Actually PPP means build it as quickly and as cheaply as possible and if your in a city like Winnipeg where not much attention is paid to detail you can cheap out on the materials used for construction as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan