HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 3:34 AM

I prefer the design that's affordable and gets built.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 5:42 AM

Wow, talk about a redesign. I don't know what to think.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 7:15 AM
Karma Police

Dynamic to dull in 60 seconds. Too bad.... value engineering strikes again.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 8:19 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Wait, open house a few hours ago, or another day? They can't possibly be asking people to show up 2 hours after they post a news article!

I'd like to see this stuff in person.

*edit - open house was 5:30pm yesterday. They apparently don't want to give anyone more than 24 hour notice to show up.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 8:42 AM

Aw, jeebus

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 5:24 PM

The sustainability center redesign reminds of the Federal Building "greenification." I am not sure how I feel about all these buildings looking like they are wearing graduation caps...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 10:26 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

First concept model kind of looks like the San Francisco Federal Building by Morphosis. Sort of, anyway, and less sculptural.

I found the original teardrop shaped tower rather... bizarre and ugly.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
First concept model kind of looks like the San Francisco Federal Building by Morphosis. Sort of, anyway, and less sculptural.

I found the original teardrop shaped tower rather... bizarre and ugly.
^This^

Totally agree zilfondel about the original design not making any sense aesthetically. I much prefer the lower rendering. There are some interesting spacial relationships developing and an overall coherence to the design.

Of course I would like to see it taller, but money talks... I guess.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 3:09 AM

Combine the large mass of the first and the small from the second and then we can talk...

Still so much better than that ridiculous thing before.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 11:45 PM
Semi-Lurker

I don't know, I thought the original renderings were much better looking....

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 5:22 PM

Thursday, May 5, 2011, 9:09am PDT | Modified: May 5, 2011, 9:36 AM
Oregon Sustainability Center team releases new designs
by Christina Williams
Sustainable Business Oregon

Schematic design for the much-anticipated and oft-criticized Oregon Sustainability Center has been released by the design team, which is seeking public comment before the design is approved and financed by the City of Portland, the Portland Development Commission and the Oregon University System.

The OSC design team, led by Gerding Edlen and including SERA Architects, GBD Architects and Skanska Construction, anticipates going before the funding partners for final approval for the building, planned for the eastern edge of Portland State University, in August or September.

The new design of the eight-story structure also comes with a revised price tag, an estimated $59.3 million for the base building. That price doesn't include the cost of rerouting the streetcar line through the building — an estimated $4 million project — and the outfitting of the educational center and a public meeting space — an estimated cost of $1.3 million, $250,000 of which will be covered by a Meyer Memorial Trust grant. The full cost of the project is estimated at $64.6 million
Oregon Sustainability Center rendering: Aerial view

The previous cost estimate for the OSC, $69.4 million, included the streetcar and action center costs.

More than 80 percent of the OSC's available office, research and classroom space has been designed for specific tenants.

The center is aiming for a Living Building designation from the International Living Building Institute.

Jill Sherman, project manager for Gerding Edlen, said comments collected about the design, will be considered and incorporated during the design and development process before construction begins on the building.

"There's still quite a bit of design work to do before we're through," Sherman said.

If the project is approved, final design work would lead up to construction beginning during the first quarter of 2012 with an anticipated opening of the building in August 2013.
Oregon Sustainability Center schematic cross-section

The following items are on the project team's to-do list before seeking final approval:

• Garnering firm commitments from the tenants to fulfill the occupancy requirements of the Living Building Challenge.

• Working out the co-ownership agreements for the building. Both the OUS and the city will own their portions of the building.

• Ongoing fundraising for the project from corporate sponsors and other funding sources.

• Further refining of operating cost projections for the building.

Financing for the OSC will be shared by the city, PDC and OUS and will include tax-increment financing and bonds as well as budget funds. The project team also anticipates receiving new market tax credits, Energy Trust tax funds and in-kind donations from corporate partners.

Sherman said she's hopeful the project will see a green light by this fall.

"We have made significant progress," she said.

A public open house on the OSC schematic design will be held Wednesday, May 11 at AIA Portland, 403 N.W. 11th Ave., from 6-8 p.m.

http://www.sustainablebusinessoregon...m.html?ana=sbo

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 10:00 PM

I kind of like it.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 1:17 AM

^^^ Me too. The top rendering, in particular, looks pretty striking. I'll have to go to the AIA event, though, before I say anything else...

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 7:22 PM

what block is this building proposed for?

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 9:38 PM
momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_jt View Post
what block is this building proposed for?
just east of the PSU Rec center, between 5th/4th and Montgomery/Harrison. A surface parking lot today. An apartment building in the SW corner that will remain.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 5:33 PM

Anyone have a DJC subscription?

Oregon Sustainability Center, other capital projects put on ice (access required)
by Angela Webber

The fate of the Oregon Sustainability Center project is now in limbo. More than half of the cost is slated to be covered by Oregon University System bonds, but the Legislature plans to delay consideration of bond approval for the center and some other projects until February 2012.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 11:16 PM

Sustainability Center at PSU raises financial concerns, Oregon lawmakers say

Published: Monday, June 27, 2011, 5:20 PM
Updated: Monday, June 27, 2011, 8:40 PM
By Harry Esteve, The Oregonian

SALEM -- The Oregon Legislature has dealt a serious blow to plans for building a world class "sustainability center" at Portland State University.

House Republicans refused to provide the necessary state bonding authority, saying there are still too many unanswered questions about the project's finances. They want developers to come back with a more complete proposal next year.

"There are a multitude of concerns," said House co-Speaker Bruce Hanna, R-Roseburg. Top among them, he said, is that the building would require expensive lease rates and the Oregon University System plans to command two-thirds of the space.

etc, etc:

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i..._at_psu_r.html

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 8:47 PM
momentum

we should know before the end of the day what the fate is of the project. If the State delays the project until February to come back...the project will likely die. No project can withstand a delay such as that. And a project as cutting edge as the OSC promised to be has to maintain momentum all that much more to create the necessary inertia.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 9:32 PM

Great some hick kills the project because he doesn't get "sustainability" Waste 80 million on a hwy interchange for newberg outlet malls I'm sure this guy wouldn't be piping up. Can't stand this backward thinking. Some of these people are like 20 years behind.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 7:59 PM
momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Great some hick kills the project because he doesn't get "sustainability" Waste 80 million on a hwy interchange for newberg outlet malls I'm sure this guy wouldn't be piping up. Can't stand this backward thinking. Some of these people are like 20 years behind.
From www.oregoncatalyst.com
"As discussed in a previous newsletter, a key issue of contention was whether or not to approve the bonding for the Oregon Sustainability Center (OSC). All of the Legislative Leadership except for Co-Speaker Hanna and myself favored authorizing $37.5 million in long-term bonds for the OSC project. Co-Speaker Hanna and I asked for a presentation on the status of the project and confirmed that inadequate financial and project documentation existed to justify investing millions of dollars at this time. The OSC project was not approved at this time and the bonds required for its construction will not be authorized unless and until detailed questions about the Oregon Sustainability Center’s financial sustainability are answered."

Well the Republicans killed it. Even when the newest technology with PV was going to be brought to market in Salem. The irony of it. We would have had the best, most productive, high output PV being produced here in Oregon. The jobs, the money, the opportunity to create more green collar jobs. How crazy is that? The bonds were self performing...paid back b the tenants. OUS had no intention of issuing the bonds without tenant agreements. Honestly I think Legislational committee was out of order to weigh in and overturn this project from moving forward.

There will not be a project in February...they killed it and wasted a lot of real public money in the process for "paper" architecture. Cheers!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland