HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 4:29 PM

Exanded GWCC and New Ga Dome

After being away from Atlanta for over 12 years its good to finally be back...well close, I moved to Carrollton. Anyway, I found this interesting article on ajc.com and HOK website.

Quote:
Congress Center makeover?
Brainstorms flood in for new location or expansion of aging Georgia Dome and convention facility. None have timetable or funding yet.
By Leon Stafford

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, December 04, 2008

In the future, the Atlanta Falcons could play in a new Georgia Dome south of its current home while the front door to the Georgia World Congress Center would move to Marietta Street in a giant new building.

And conventioneers, who bring millions to Atlanta’s coffers every year, would get around the convention center on airport-like moving sidewalks or trams.

Those are just some of the ideas unveiled Wednesday in a master plan for the downtown Georgia World Congress Center campus, which encompasses the convention facility, Dome and nearby Centennial Olympic Park.

GWCC officials are looking at ways to expand the massive campus to stay competitive with other cities that are building newer and larger football stadiums and convention centers. Khalil Johnson, GWCC chief operating officer, offered no pricetag for the ideas and said there is no timetable for when any, if accepted, would be implemented.

Any plans would need approval from the GWCC Authority, the governing board. The convention center, Dome and Centennial Olympic Park are state-owned and operated.

Whatever is done, it will be a necessary move. The Dome, which is just 16 years old, is older than 20 of the National Football League’s more than 30 stadiums. The NFL has increasingly awarded Super Bowls to cities that have newer stadiums. And Falcons owner Arthur Blank has said he wants a new stadium when the bonds issued to build the Dome are paid off, probably around 2015 to 2020.

When it was built in 1992, the Georgia Dome cost $214 million. But the cost of building a new stadium is now much more expensive. The Dallas Cowboys’ new stadium cost about $1 billion, while the New York Jets and New York Giants will play in a $1.3 billion stadium, now under construction.

The convention center —- the fourth largest in the country at 1.4 million square feet of exhibit space —- recently saw its main competitors —- in Chicago, Las Vegas and Orlando —- grow even bigger, even though it added 420,000 square feet in 2003 at a cost of $282 million, using state funds and convention proceeds.

Johnson told stakeholders —- residents and community leaders living near the campus that were invited to the unveiling —- that the master plan is designed to help officials look at opportunities for future growth.

“What we are trying to do is lay out the options,” Johnson said. “It gives us a road map for the way forward if you will, but not which exit to get off on.”

HOK Sport, a Kansas City, Mo.-based firm known for its work with NFL teams, helped create the GWCC’s master plan. The company said it saw ways for the facility to better use its footprint to attract business by improving landscaping on its border streets, making the campus more walkable and creating greater areas of greenspace.

The company laid out several alternative plans for the GWCC, which generally centered around expanding or moving the Dome and increasing the size of the convention center. Each configuration used some of the GWCC’s existing 44 acres of undeveloped space, including parking lots and pre-function or staging areas, for the expansion.

That growth also could come from expanding the current Georgia Dome, which has seen several renovations recently, including a new paint job, For example, one plan calls for building new floors atop the Congress Center, making it a vertical as well as a horizontal giant.

Building a new football stadium would take four to five years, while building a new convention facility would take about three to five, said Dennis Wellner, senior principal with HOK.

“This isn’t something that is prescriptive or definitive,” said Herman Howard, a senior associate in HOK’s Atlanta office.

Johnson said there are a lot of benefits to each of the alternatives.

For instance, expanding building A to Marietta Street would give the Congress Center an exciting front door and reinvent the facility’s original building, which is 33 years old.

Officials also would take advantage of a new conference center to build a ballroom that is three times the size of the facility’s largest offering to make the Congress Center an even bigger draw, he said.

Johnson said the plans are not pie-in-the-sky dreams that will just gather dust.

“This is not a static document that will be put on the shelf,” Johnson said. “This is a living document.”

CURRENT NFL STADIUMS

Though it opened in 1992, the Georgia Dome is among the league’s older stadiums.

Name……………………….Team………………Capacity..Opening date

Lucas Oil Stadium …………..Indianapolis Colts ….63,000 ….9/7/2008

University of Phoenix Stadium ..Arizona Cardinals……63,000 ….9/10/2006

Soldier Field II…………….Chicago Bears……….63,000 ….9/29/2003

Lincoln Financial Field ……..Philadelphia Eagles….68,500 ….9/8/2003

Ford Field………………….Detroit Lions……….65,000 ….9/22/2002

Qwest Field ………………..Seattle Seahawks ……68,000 ….9/15/2002

Gillette Stadium…………….New England Patriots ..68,000 ….9/9/2002

Reliant Stadium …………….Houston Texans ……..69,500 ….9/8/2002

Heinz Field ………………..Pittsburgh Steelers….64,500 ….10/7/2001

Invesco Field ………………Denver Broncos ……..76,125 ….9/10/2001

Paul Brown Stadium…………..Cincinnati Bengals ….65,600 ….9/10/2000

Cleveland Stadium …………..Cleveland Browns ……72,300 ….9/12/1999

LP Field……………………Tennessee Titans ……67,000 ….9/12/1999

Raymond James Stadium ……….Tampa Bay Buccaneers ..65,657 ….9/20/1998

M&T Bank Stadium…………….Baltimore Ravens ……69,084 ….9/6/1998

FedEx Field ………………..Washington Redskins….80,000 ….9/14/1996

Bank of America Stadium ……..Carolina Panthers……73,250 ….9/14/1996

Edward Jones Dome …………..St. Louis Rams ……..66,000 ….11/12/95

Jacksonville Municipal Stadium..Jacksonville Jaguars ..73,000 ….8/18/1995

Georgia Dome………………..Atlanta Falcons……..71,149 ….9/6/1992

Dolphin Stadium …………….Miami Dolphins ……..75,000 ….8/16/1987

Metrodome ………………….Minnesota Vikings……64,035 ….9/12/1982

Giants Stadium………………New York Giants/Jets ..79,469 ….10/10/1976*

Superdome ………………….New Orleans Saints ….69,082 ….9/28/1975

Ralph Wilson Stadium…………Buffalo Bills……….75,339 ….8/17/1973

Arrowhead Stadium …………..Kansas City Chiefs ….79,409 ….8/12/1972

Candlestick Park…………….San Francisco 49ers….64,450 ….10/10/1971

Texas Stadium ………………Dallas Cowboys ……..65,675 ….10/24/1971*

Qualcomm Stadium…………….San Diego Chargers ….71,294 ….8/20/1967

Oakland Coliseum…………….Oakland Raiders……..63,146 ….9/18/1966

Lambeau Field ………………Green Bay Packers……72,515 ….9/29/1957

* Replacement under way

ELIZABETH LANDT / Staff
COMPETITIVE EXPANSION
The Georgia World Congress Center, which includes the Congress Center convention center, the Georgia Dome and Centennial Olympic Park, could look different in the future with a bigger football field, even larger convention building and more greenspace. GWCC officials on Wednesday unveiled several options in a master plan for the campus' future. It's an effort to stay current against competitors who have their own expansion plans.

GEORGIA DOME
A. Georgia Dome expansion/renovation
B. New stadium to the north
C. New stadium to the south wth park extension to the west

GEORGIA WORLD CONGRESS CENTER
A. New exhibit hall to the south
B. New exhibit hall to the north
C. Vertical expansion of exhibit hall A
Clearly, continued expansion is required to stay competitive in the convention center business, but the thought of a new dome raises some interesting questions. Though built in '92, recent renovations should keep the facility relavent for the next 10-15 years. But then what? Mr. Blank has already expressed the desire for a new building, especially after the NFL deemed the Dome unfit to host a Super Bowl.

IMO opinion, two things that must remain constant with a new facility are versatility and location. I know many despise the Dome because of the antiseptic feel the roof and the turf give the game of football. But keep in mind, the a multipurpose facility that also plays host to everything from Monster truck rallys, band competitions, church revivals, comedy shows, cheerleading and basketball tourneys to name a few. The Dome's versatility was what enabled the passage of the initial $214M, not the promise of 8 regular season football games.

The downtown location of the Dome is also fundamental to the success of any new stadium because of the ease of accessibilty. Again football fan its not about tailgating in a sea parking lots, but about how its central location provides sufficient highway and transit options for potential patrons. If you're from out of town, you can fly into the airport, take MARTA downtown to your hotel as well as the game. No need to bother with a rental car. When I go to the Peach Bowl this year I'm go to drive to H.Holmes Station and taking the train into the city from there.

Please keep in mind this is a LONG term planning assesment but I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

Dr. Algernon from Exosquad

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 5:05 PM

I'd like to see a revitalization around the Vine City station. Something along the lines of say, Glenwood Park, from Electric Avenue over to Northside would be awesome.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 8:31 PM

There are rumors floating around that GSU would take full control of the Dome after the football team makes its debut there and plays a few seasons.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 9:39 PM

The AJC had these images of the different options.

GEORGIA DOME

GEORGIA WORLD CONGRESS CENTER

GWCC option C easily looks like the best option for the city IMO.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Dec 4, 2008 at 10:32 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 9:48 PM

C for both seems to be awesome. I like the idea of the expanded park, in particular.

PS - for those who explore the AJC from time to time, the comments to this article are disturbing... the number of people who dislike development makes me sad...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I'd like to see a revitalization around the Vine City station. Something along the lines of say, Glenwood Park, from Electric Avenue over to Northside would be awesome.
boy, wouldn't that make a world of difference? it would be nice to have something like that in the master plan. with the rebirth of the entire westside, it would make alot of sense in the long view.

as for the dome, there are two things i would really hate to see:

1. another dome, i know it's not a popular idea, but football is an outdoor sport. period.
2. moving to the suburbs.

as for expanding the GWCC, i think option C is most favorable in terms of matching what's going on in the area, i.e. moving outward toward marrietta st and facing COP. it would be nice to have the GWCC entrance looking out at COP as a front yard. with the right architecture, it could really make an impressive statement on the western border of the park.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 11:37 PM

Option C would be an awesome addition to that area around COP. Just think with the expansion of the Aquarium, the new world of coke, the national health science museum( i think that's the correct name), the human rights museum along with the residental developement in that area ..... WOW talk about a drastic turn around since my college days in the Vine City area

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 3:36 AM

Oh yes, with a city and a state in budget peril, plus with a credit crisis and people losing jobs here and there, the big talk should definitely be about expanding the Georgia Dome. Yep, that sounds like a really sound, fruitful plan.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 8:38 AM

This is a little off subject, but still centered on the theme of expansion,
My hospitality teacher told me that the Georgia Aquarium's master plan calls for 5 additional "pods???" The idea is that there will always be something new to see. Just wondering if anyone heard anything about this or has any ideas of where they would expand to?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Oh yes, with a city and a state in budget peril, plus with a credit crisis and people losing jobs here and there, the big talk should definitely be about expanding the Georgia Dome. Yep, that sounds like a really sound, fruitful plan.
Well, you can't save your way out of a recession. You have to figure out a way to generate more income.

Not to mention the fact that once you're out of the recession you don't want to discover that you've irreparably damaged your long term goals and fallen way behind your peers as a result of being penny wise and pound foolish.

When your team is behind you're not going to get back in the game by crawling into a hole. As Larry Munson would say, now's the time to hunker down and go for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMi9nwILsu4

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 10:12 PM

I agree. It is a long term project that will have a huge economic impact on the city and state, meaning more jobs.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 1:47 PM

I like the C/C option combination the best, new stadium, bigger park, and I like the reworking of the convention center and taking it higher. They probably need to hang on to that big north lot for a while, it is used a lot now for staging, and who knows what expansion might be needed in the future.

Plus, it seem with that much of an expansion, wouldn't there be need for another hotel around COP?

Plus I"m amazed, I remember when the GA Dome was built, and it just doesn't feel that old. We're in such an era of disposable monumental buildings.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 7:26 PM

Possible outcomes for an expanded GWCCC campus.

Some of the economic benefits that an improved and expaned campus for the George World Congress Center campus are:

1. A Super Bowl.
2. A BCS bowl.
3. A World Cup.

These highly prized events are in addition to the increase in international trade shows and conventions; more collegiate sporting evente,i.e. Final Fours,GSU football;and, I can only whisper this-another Olympics.

The challenge will be to create a globally competive entertainment/ hospitality infrastructure to support these types of events.In short, the caliber of hotels,retail and restaurants ,all within a pedestrian friendly; secure ; technologically advanced; esthetically inviting urban(and urbane) enviroment.

The good news is that the planning for the adjacent real estate, including the Gulch/Multi-Modal Transit Station; the "Green Line" ,et al. can be helpful in meeting the challenge.

And since this is a skyscraper board, the opportunity to develop the almost 200 acres comprising the GWCC campus and the Gulch is very exciting. An international trade center serving the trade, consular and cultural needs of the Southeast could be incorporated into an exciting project such as San Francisco's Transport center.

Maybe the new national policy regarding infrastructure development financing could have some impact here? There could be a lot of jobs created building roads;transit options as well as providing water and sewer for this project(s).

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 3:54 PM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by plorenc View Post
There are rumors floating around that GSU would take full control of the Dome after the football team makes its debut there and plays a few seasons.
I don't think it will be full control. We're going to lease the Dome (only $50,000 per game), but chances are, if the Falcons get a new stadium, we would most likely move there as well. Unfortunately, the renovation of the Dome resulted in RED seats (we're NOT UGA).

Oh yeah, GO PANTHERS!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabino86 View Post
I don't think it will be full control. We're going to lease the Dome (only $50,000 per game), but chances are, if the Falcons get a new stadium, we would most likely move there as well. Unfortunately, the renovation of the Dome resulted in RED seats (we're NOT UGA).

Oh yeah, GO PANTHERS!
I saw in GSU updated 1 Billion Dollar Master Plan that extended into 2015 to include its own multi-purpose stadium near campus. Therefore, I think GSU using the Dome as only a temporary home for them.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 7:22 PM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart8588 View Post
I saw in GSU updated 1 Billion Dollar Master Plan that extended into 2015 to include its own multi-purpose stadium near campus. Therefore, I think GSU using the Dome as only a temporary home for them.
I think you're talking about the eventual replacement of the Sports Arena with a new convocation center. Current plans are to stay in the Dome permanently which IMO, is much more sensible (and a hell of a lot cheaper) to do.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropundit View Post
Some of the economic benefits that an improved and expaned campus for the George World Congress Center campus are:

1. A Super Bowl.
2. A BCS bowl.
3. A World Cup.

These highly prized events are in addition to the increase in international trade shows and conventions; more collegiate sporting evente,i.e. Final Fours,GSU football;and, I can only whisper this-another Olympics.

The challenge will be to create a globally competive entertainment/ hospitality infrastructure to support these types of events.In short, the caliber of hotels,retail and restaurants ,all within a pedestrian friendly; secure ; technologically advanced; esthetically inviting urban(and urbane) enviroment.

The good news is that the planning for the adjacent real estate, including the Gulch/Multi-Modal Transit Station; the "Green Line" ,et al. can be helpful in meeting the challenge.

And since this is a skyscraper board, the opportunity to develop the almost 200 acres comprising the GWCC campus and the Gulch is very exciting. An international trade center serving the trade, consular and cultural needs of the Southeast could be incorporated into an exciting project such as San Francisco's Transport center.

Maybe the new national policy regarding infrastructure development financing could have some impact here? There could be a lot of jobs created building roads;transit options as well as providing water and sewer for this project(s).
Maybe the chance to host both the SEC and ACC Championships simultaneously.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 5:27 PM

Well here is a finance fellow who is asking some of the numbers questions? It seems to me that Dome is pretty new, I'm surprised folks talk about it being so outdated.

Is it worth keeping the Falcons Downtown?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta