HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 4:29 PM
Ego eimi

Advice/Suggestions for Young Architects & Architecture Students

Hi, I'm new.

Pray tell, what advice does the forum have for an architecture student starting out in San Francisco this Fall ???

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 4:46 PM
them bones

Prepare for something exceptionally challenging.

Take advantage of every opportunity presented to you. Study abroad in the summer, do internships, join the Bay Area Young Architects, get a feel for the profession, not just the theory.

Most of all, get an intra-veinous caffeine drip so as to make it easier to stay awake for days and days.

You'll know after year 1 if it's something you're really interested in. After that it's just a matter of finding a way to enjoy architectural school.

The profession is alot different and rewarding it its own way.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 12:05 AM
millard fillmore

Sleep.

It becomes a competition eventually to see who can sleep the least, but it rarely benefits anybody. And you'll be miserable.

Don't plan on having much of a life. Architecture school is a different kind of education. It is about rigor, process, and production. The latter can take much, much longer than you would ever expect.

When you have a drawing or model to do, take how much time you think it will take to do it and double that, triple it to be safe. Good work takes a long time to do well.

Be objective about your projects. Don't make a building pretty and have everything else as an afterthought. If you do, don't say it in reviews.

Feel free to disagree with your professors, but listen to them and have an open mind. If you fight them, they will only give you a C and you will have lost a semester of work by being stubborn.

Intern at a boring firm and get paid. Intern at an innovative firm and don't get paid very much or at all. Then decide where you want to go from there career-wise.

Get good Bose headphones.

Don't drink energy drinks.

Get an HP, not a mac.

Learn every 3d modeling program available to you and learn how to render. This is the most useful thing you can put on a resume and in a portfolio. Especially if you can render well.

Be realistic about your projects (take a day figure out the structure, material, and construction), but take advantage of the opportunity afforded to you in school to be adventurous and hypothetical.

Sleep at least three hours before a review and take twenty minutes to prepare an outline of what you should talk about. If you don't sleep, you'll embarrass yourself. If you prepare some business-school type presentation, you'll look like an idiot. Be brief, but touch on everything worthy of discussion so your reviewers can ask questions. Don't bullshit reviewers either. If you didn't address something because you ran out of time, be honest. They'll usually let you off the hook.

Don't get into the habit of microwave meals and fast food. It's easy to get caught up in studio and think you can never leave, but you'll only get fat.

Just enjoy it and don't drift off into architecture la-la-land like too many people do. Take care of yourself. Studio culture wants to turn you pale, arrogant, insecure, frustrated, naive, and socially inept but it doesn't have to be that way.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 5:38 AM
Ego eimi

hhhmmmmmmmmmmm ....

I've heard similar things. Thanks, plinko, for the Bay Area Young Architects suggestion, that's a great idea! I will look into that. Thanks, samoen for the details. i was an art student for a minute a decade ago, and I remember seeing graduate students sleeping in cots. I expect to lose peripheral view for the next three years of my life. let me ask you something:

an acquaintance suggested the other night that my idea to specialize in sacred architecture was not a good idea if i expect to prosper. do you think this is true? this person is an accountant at an architectural firm in LA, so I'm hard pressed to just dismiss him off the bat.

What does "Sacred Architecture" refer to connotatively in the architectural world? I think of it as more than just churches and temples--it's every building. is this crazy talk? how do i translate this into architecturespeak that wont make me look crazy.. ?

I already have a solid background in theological studies, so it makes sense to me in MY mind to tell my academic advisors from the get-go that i want to specialize in sacred architecture. does this even make sense in an architectural world? will they assume i am talking about worship spaces? Maybe I shouldn't say anything at all. IDK!

My acquaintance-friend told me i should tweak my philosophy to specialize in hospitalization (his theory being that hospitals constantly need to be remodeled, rebuilt, expanded, etc., so are a prosperous speciality)

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 7:01 PM
Ω

^ I think you should study everything before you settle on such a specific specialization.

Everyone says it's bad and it kind of is. You will be staying up all night much more than any of your friends in other majors. I personally don't mind it. It can be grueling, hard work but I really enjoy it.

I don't know why you can't drink energy drinks or have a mac; I abuse both and I do just fine, I got all As last semester (selfless boost ). Just buy windows XP and install it on bootcamp. One thing I do warn against is smoking, because you will start to do it a lot!

Agreed on having a clear mind for reviews. Sleep a bit, shower, and dress up a little, it makes a big difference. If it starts going bad you need to bring yourself up, you can change the topic to something more positive.

Go out on weekends! Don't become a studio zombie. The best people in my class go out on fridays and saturdays if work permits. You need a release after intense weeks. That being said, work during the week when nothing is going on.

That's all I can think of right now.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 10:48 PM
A before E

Great advice from everyone so far on this topic, just finishing my degree in architecture, I figure I will chime in alittle. The whole idea of "sacred architecture," I would have to ask what kind of degree are you going for? If it is a pre-professional degree and you plan to go for a masters later, then that topic will make a great thesis, but if you are getting a BArch, then you probably wont have a thesis focus to your program...(which what school and degree program are you in?)

Almost no one does this, but keep a schedule and live by it, plan for extra time on every project, but make sure you budget sleep and away from studio time or it will consume you....though do not procrastinate.

Another important fact, draw everything and everyday, it is important to draw as much as you can with how you see the world, this talent will help you in the long run.

Study abroad!! seriously, it is the biggest mistake that I never did that during my bachelors degree, and I regret it now...planning on my first trip to Europe this October now that I am done with school.

Also, you will more than likely lose touch with friends and hopefully will make friends in studio...also, if you are dating anyone, there is a good chance that wont last...during my years in studio, I have seen so many people go through break ups because how much time it consumes, my relationship at the time would be included.

There is a couple fun books to read.
Architect?
101 Things I Learned in Architecture School

The first book, by the time you finish chapter two, if you still like the idea of being an architect, you will do fine.

The second book is just a funny little book, but most of the statements are true and many of them have been repeated here.

Also, the most important thing about making it through architecture school. You know nothing about architecture...so forget what you know (unless you know a thing or two about structures....dont forget that), and learn from your teachers and peers. We all often times go into the profession thinking we know what we are getting into and what we want to be practicing in life, but knowing what kind of architecture you like and knowing how to design architecture are two different things.

And if you disagree with a professor, you better have a solid reason to back it up, but dont be afraid to disagree, there is no one right answer in architecture and there is no one formula a professor can teach you to make a building work.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 11:58 PM
them bones

I'm a little curious about 'Sacred Architecture' means to you, why you wish to focus on it, and if you are headed into an undergrad or graduate program?

The answers to all of those questions might help the rest of us a bit in terms of advice...

There are firms that focus on religious architecture, but a typical firm has a focus on one of all of the following: residential, commercial - office, commercial - retail, mixed-use, hospitality, transportation, healthcare, industrial, land and development planning, sustainability.

For instance my practice in terms of project types is mostly custom luxury residential and commercial retail, but over the years working for others I've worked on a huge variety of building types.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 1:54 AM
Charismatic Stallion

I've heard from some that in Arxhitecture school, you very rarely model in 3d, but rather draw EVERYTHING.

Is this true?
Also how many hours does. A typical project take (in hours working on it?) and how many days would you have?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 2:18 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
I've heard from some that in Architecture school, you very rarely model in 3d, but rather draw EVERYTHING.

Is this true?
Also how many hours does. A typical project take (in hours working on it?) and how many days would you have?
Most good schools that I have visited, all of your early work is done by hand. Hand modeling and hand drawing. When you hit the later years of architecture schooling, computer modeling will start to creep into project presentations.

As for hours, there is no actual answer to this question...but I will say this, when I started and I was given keys to the building, I jokingly said to the dean who was standing by me "I take it the ones that make it through the program use these keys alot." In other words, you spend most of your free time in the studio....or if you want a more number answer, think of it as a full time job (40 hours a week, including weekends), and you have 3 days a week, 4 hours each of those days, meetings with the professor.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 3:56 AM

So how dependent on drawing skills is schooling? I am obsessed with Architecture and hope to eventually get my degree, but I am not the greatest artist. I am not horrible but no means great. Is it still possible to succeed?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 4:11 AM
them bones

^You'd be suprised. If you can find a way to articulate your ideas somehow visually (drawing, renderings, computer modelling, collages), and can understand the theories behind them, then architecture school can be done.

However, once in the practice, you have to find some marketable visual skill. Then again, there are lots of architects who are successful doing specification writing (as part of a firm or as an outside independent consultant).

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 4:30 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallty View Post
So how dependent on drawing skills is schooling? I am obsessed with Architecture and hope to eventually get my degree, but I am not the greatest artist. I am not horrible but no means great. Is it still possible to succeed?
being a great artist has nothing to do with drawing skills. Often times you are drawing what you see.

A great exercise for that would be putting your pen point on a piece of paper, then looking at a space (like a hallway, stairs, archway, whatever) and try to draw that without looking down at your paper. The first bunch of attempts are usually just squiggly lines, but after a while you will learn how to see detail within architecture better that way. Before you know it, you eye, brain, and hand will begin to craft a style for you and give you a better understanding of space.

The other kind of drawing you will be doing is drafting, and that is something that can be taught, but only mastered by doing it over and over and learning from each try.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 7:01 AM
millard fillmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
I've heard from some that in Arxhitecture school, you very rarely model in 3d, but rather draw EVERYTHING.

Is this true?
Not true. Not true at all.

I love drawing. I love rapid-o-graphs. I love the deliberate nature of drawings. I love the depth and delicacy of hand-renderings. I still draw as a careful means of expression.

But think of drawing as a product. You can't produce drawings nearly as fast or accurately as computer drawings. They may lack the depth of hand drawings, but that's just how it is (you can always make them pretty in Illustrator.) You learn to draw for your own creative benefit for a project.

Autocad you will need to learn to be employable. Revit is useful in the real world though it's a little dry and still pretty nascent as far as computer programs are concerned.

Don't bother with SketchUp. There is a reason it is free.

3ds max can be useful and is the best program to render from. But as far as modeling goes, Rhino is by far the most advanced. In fact, you can work almost exclusively from Rhino and easily convert files to 3ds and cad formats for those unenlightened.

Seriously though, for all students. Learn Rhino.

Learn VRay to render. Maxwell is fine too, but quite a mystery to figure out.

You can't quantify the number of hours that go into a project. It is easier to figure out the number of hours that go into everything else in your life (sleep, eat, socialize).

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 6:45 PM
Ego eimi

Thanks for the info and expertise, everyone! I admit, I can STILL hardly wait to start architecture school in the Fall ... um, from scratch!... (my background is in philosophy and theology). Even though I know I'm heading into a stormy haze of busyness and sleep deprived egoism, et al, I am looking forward to the new career. I will try to get as much sleep as possible.

AND... thank you, I will stay optimistic that I can maintain a relationship with my partner! geeeeeesh!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 7:24 PM
cities|transit|croissants

They'll teach you how to draw. Don't worry about that.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 7:38 PM

My experience in architecture school was:

1st Year - lots of drawing and sketching with projects to help you understand space (yes it's important) and the artistic form of design

2nd Year - more drawing, introduction to AutoCAD and Sketchup, actual building projects, basic understanding of codes and building materials, modern architectural theory

3rd Year - move completely to computer drafting, more complex projects, learn about structure, sustainability, and environmental controls, more theory and reading books/critical analysis

4th Year - one semester of systems integration where design and structure/MEP systems are combined in one large group project and one semester working part-time at a local firm for studio credit

5th Year - thesis project focusing on urban design issues over the entire year; my project was a downtown convention center that I brought from concept to DD drawings complete with details, plans, and elevations in addition to advanced renderings done in Sketchup/Kerkythea

My advice is try to work for a construction company at some point, either during the semester or summer. You will learn a lot about the buildings you are designing and will be a much better architect.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 2:25 PM

Every school has a different studio culture, so learn yours, but I'd strongly recommend against being competitive and secretive when it comes to your work. It might sound like a cliche, and it sort of is, but you and your fellow students are all in it together. The more you share with one another, talk about your ideas together, and learn from one another, the better off everyone will be. Rising tide lifts all boats and somesuch. Start a 'study group' for a night where most people won't have something going on, like Wednesdays after studio, knock back a few beers, and talk about your ideas. You'll find such discussions relaxing, enjoyable, and incredibly useful as a means of testing your ideas before presenting them to professors.

And its been mentioned before, but its absolutely critical for you to engage in a normal life outside of school. During my undergrad, I lived the typical architecture life: fast food, lots of alcohol, lots of caffeine, late nights, little sleep. My work was OK I suppose, but not nearly as good as the work I've done in graduate school, when I've been married and treat it more like a 60-70 hour a week job. It is definitely possible to make time for a wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/family, have home-cooked meals, work out, sleep a regular 7 hours a night, and do well in architecture school. Of course, that means that the time you do put into school must be more focused, but I've found that it is much easier to be focused when you're grounded in a normal life in the real world.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 3:03 AM
BANNED

what does everyone think of FLW's 14 recommendations for people starting out in architecture?

1. Forget the architectures of the world except as something good in their way and in their time.
2. Do none of you go into architecture to get a living unless you love architecture as a principle at work, for its own sake - prepared to be as true to it as your mother, your comrade, or yourself.
3. Beware of the architectural school except as the exponent of engineering.
4. Go into the field where you can see the machines and methods at work that make the modern buildings, or stay in construction direct and simple until you can work naturally into building-design from the nature of construction.
5. Immediately begin to form the habit of thinking "why" concerning any effects that please or displease you.
6. Take nothing for granted as beautiful or ugly, but take every building to pieces, and challenge every feature. Learn to distinguish the curious from the beautiful.
7. Get the habit of analysis, - analysis will in time enable synthesis to become your habit of mind.
8. "Think in simples" as my old master used to say, - meaning to reduce the whole to its parts in simplest terms, getting back to first principles. Do this in order to proceed from generals to particulars and never confuse or confound them or yourself be confounded by them.
9. Abandon as poison the American idea of the "quick turnover." To get into the practice "halfbaked" is to sell out your birthright as an architect for a mess of pottage, or to die pretending to be an architect.
10. Take time to prepare. Ten years' preparation for preliminaries to architectural practice is little enough for any architect who would rise "above the belt" in true architectural appreciation or practice.
11. Then go as far away as possible from home to build your first buildings. The physician can bury his mistakes, - but the architect can only advise his client to plant vines.
12. Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken-house as to build a cathedral. The size of the project means little in art, beyond the money-matter. It is the quality of character that really counts. Character may be large in the little or little in the large.
13. Enter no architectural competition under any circumstances except as a novice. No competition ever gave to the world anything worth having in architecture. The jury itself is a picked average. The first thing done by the jury is to go through all the designs and throw out the best and the worst one so, as an average, it can average upon an average. The net result of any competition is an average by the average of averages.
14. Beware of the shopper for plans. The man who will not grubstake you in prospecting for ideas in his behalf will prove a faithless client.

1-10 seem to make sense
12 makes sense also. see the utilitarian buildings thread
13: le corbusier's design for the league of nations headquarters in geneva is one where it worked out that way. i'm sure there are plenty of examples where that isn't the case though.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture