HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:30 PM

As much as I love tall buildings and wish that NS HQ would be a very tall tower, in this location I don't think 2 "squat" buildings would be too bad. It would make AT&T and BofA look taller without blocking the views of them. Don't get me wrong I would take another supertall if that was what was happening, but I'm not too disappointed if it goes the NCR route. Now 8th and W Peachtree on the other hand I would prefer a taller tower to poke out of the plateau.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
As much as I love tall buildings and wish that NS HQ would be a very tall tower, in this location I don't think 2 "squat" buildings would be too bad. It would make AT&T and BofA look taller without blocking the views of them. Don't get me wrong I would take another supertall if that was what was happening, but I'm not too disappointed if it goes the NCR route. Now 8th and W Peachtree on the other hand I would prefer a taller tower to poke out of the plateau.
Agreed. I just posted this exact same thing in another thread.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelra View Post
I remember when they were designing NCR and it was supposed to be a signature tower in midtown and its nether tall or something special at least for me and GT Portman kinda the same, those buildings blend in and don't really stands out in my opinion.
I agree whit you about densification, I only wish that when we have a chance to build nice tall tower we are loosing it again with another 20 story building.
Atlanta already has plenty of tall towers.

After going on an ad-hoc tall tower building binge in the 1980s - 2000s, it's going through the necessary densification phase, which is for the city's best in the long term if it wants to be perceived as more urban.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
I disagree on the design aspect. I think NCR and the GT Portman building look great but getting another couple 24 story towers is frustrating, even though I’m confident they’ll look good.

That said, I can’t complain about the densification of Midtown, which is happening at a ridiculous pace. It’s something MANY cities envy.
Heck, many cities still envy Atlanta's existing collection of tall towers. Some haven't seen any or a very minimal number of skyscrapers built in the past 30-40 years.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
What exists now, is not what it has to be. We can change the FAR for midtown. Current limits (and exceptions to exceed) is self imposed. Midtown Alliance already made some changes. I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed it again in the next 5-10 years. Point being, Midtown could handle more if it planned accordingly.
There are no infrastructure improvements going on right now that would allow it to change. I think you're looking at more like 50-100 years, if it ever happens at all.

Midtown Alliance made some recent changes like requiring utility lines to be buried, but the maximum FAR is still 10.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
What exists now, is not what it has to be. We can change the FAR for midtown. Current limits (and exceptions to exceed) is self imposed. Midtown Alliance already made some changes. I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed it again in the next 5-10 years. Point being, Midtown could handle more if it planned accordingly.
I’m sure the FAR exists for a reason. It’s probably best to figure out the reasoning before advocating for them to increase it.

But for the record, I’m okay with shorter towers. The tallest high-rises in Atlanta usually have poor street presence. Obviously, it’s not guaranteed, but even Opus’ planned retail is gonna be a disappointment. Seems like the only guarantee with one tower is a really tall building to look at. I’d personally rather get rid of the awkward gap between Midtown and Downtown when looking at the skyline, which 2 towers on this site would help address.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
There are no infrastructure improvements going on right now that would allow it to change. I think you're looking at more like 50-100 years, if it ever happens at all.

Midtown Alliance made some recent changes like requiring utility lines to be buried, but the maximum FAR is still 10.

Keep in mind that beyond the 10 FAR or is it 10.2 maximum FAR, land owners/developers can BUY additional capacity from several sites on the historic register and go even taller. Margaret Mitchell House, Academy of Medicine on West Peachtree & 7th and now the funeral home on Spring Street can monetize their air rights allowing nearby buildings to exceed published limits.

Here's a GA TECH example

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/tech-...u8HUHSXYZv0CM/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Peachtree View Post
Keep in mind that beyond the 10 FAR or is it 10.2 maximum FAR, land owners/developers can BUY additional capacity from several sites on the historic register and go even taller. Margaret Mitchell House, Academy of Medicine on West Peachtree & 7th and now the funeral home on Spring Street can monetize their air rights allowing nearby buildings to exceed published limits.

Here's a GA TECH example

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/tech-...u8HUHSXYZv0CM/

Not only that but there are already several FAR bonuses that can be applied to developments on almost any site Midtown. Its possible to almost double the FAR near transit stations before even considering TODR. If a developer wants to build 40-50 story tower almost anywhere in Midtown, it can be done without much difficulty. The assertion that developers have no other option than to build 20 something-story buildings in Midtown is simply false. We've already seen a competing design for CODA that was much taller.

https://www.midtownatl.com/_files/do...lines_rdcd.pdf

As a part of the zoning rewrite there is a plan to examine to use of floor area ratio as a density guideline. When I have a chance I will try to find the specifics.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.. and based on the info in that link, 901 West Peachtree is projected to be 472k sqft and cost $200 million to develop while the NS headquarters is supposed to be 1 million sqft and $575 million to develop.

I've been wondering why it would cost so much more for the developer to build just a few blocks down the street, with the same architects, on the same building type, and at the same time.. I speculate that they are either burying a ton of parking, or they are going taller (and therefore costlier), or maybe both? But it's just a hunch.
THAT is my point the cost suggest a taller tower

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
THAT is my point the cost suggest a taller tower

For whatever its worth, 901 West Peachtree (West Peachtree & 8th) is on about 1 acre while Norfolk Southern on West Peachtree, Ponce & Third block is on 3 acres.

Moreover, the 3 NS Ponce & Third Cousins acres are on a shared block with a mid 20 plus story student housing tower being built, it seems, concurrently.

Cousins seems quietly, but quite dramatically and aggressively, competing with Portman's coda and Anthem towers. Plus, Cousins owns the twin NCR towers just a short block from 901 West Peachtree.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:41 AM

Update today Friday on 1105. They have been leveling the current work area is in, a solid 6-10+ feet leveled out with the left side of the lot.

I'm wondering if this will be the first crane installation (which will ruin my wonderful view at Atlantic House)

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:26 AM

^^ubered by 1105 tonight and definitely seemed like a fair amount of action going on lately. Here’s hoping this starts going ASAP

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:01 AM

I'm taking this as permission to mentally add 1105 to the skyline; don't let me down, Atlanta.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:58 AM

Really excited about this project. Let’s get this going!

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
I'm taking this as permission to mentally add 1105 to the skyline; don't let me down, Atlanta.
I’m waiting until the crane goes up. Selig is reliable, but I don’t like to count my cheickens... this one appears very close though

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:40 PM

1105 - Stages of Development?

Do we know which component of the project is being built first?
Office - Hotel - Residencial?
Since they seem to be clearing a staging area on the back portion of the tract, maybe the Office & Hotel component will go up first.

Old Posted Today, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Do we know which component of the project is being built first?
Office - Hotel - Residencial?
Since they seem to be clearing a staging area on the back portion of the tract, maybe the Office & Hotel component will go up first.
1105 Nov. 17th update. They have continued digging, cut some trees down, and brought in (don't know the name of the device) one of those giant jackhammer machines. It's moving quickly whatever they are doing.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations