HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:29 PM
BANNED

111 W Chestnut, still a hole, but subcontractor bids are due by the end of next week and they're supposed to officially break ground this month.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
wait. WTF?

why is the island on that screwball angle?

and why does it have a mustache on it?

seriously..... WTF?
Or, the El Cheapo little swirly light fixture that seems to be over nothing.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
The West Loop, South Loop, Pilsen and Chinatown have been very hot the past 5 years. Bronzeville seems to be the logical next ring out.
Not to mention that Woodlawn, Hyde Park and Kenwood have all seen an increase in population and new construction.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
LDS Temple taking shape. (This is the new Church, not the white mid-rise which will be sandwiched between Bush temple and LDS temple.)

OOps, wrong post....

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 11:49 PM
Chicago picture-taker

Illume Chicago

Some work under the lights at Illume Chicago tonight. I bet the condo owners next door LOVE that.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielschell View Post
Some work under the lights at Illume Chicago tonight. I bet the condo owners next door LOVE that.

If I were LG, I'd do that just to spite the condo owners next door, considering what they've put them through.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 1:23 AM
Chicago picture-taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post

If I were LG, I'd do that just to spite the condo owners next door, considering what they've put them through.
For sure...

You know where the Illume Chicago sales office is, right?

P.S. Lights are still on, as of 7:24pm

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielschell View Post
For sure...

You know where the Illume Chicago sales office is, right?

P.S. Lights are still on, as of 7:24pm
I cannot wait for the next Chicago Plan Commission meeting where FIVE buildings will be brought before them that "violate" their 100 foot height limit for the neighborhood. Feel free to move to Plainfield if density bothers you in a neighborhood directly next to the second largest central business district in North America.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 1:47 AM
Chicago picture-taker

Still at it, 7:45. Once you start pouring cement into a caisson, you have to fill it completely. It all has to cure at the same time.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:31 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i mean theres definitely a bubble feel to some of this. i remember when there were "luxury" condos being built in north lawndale circa '08 too

some of these are a straight up joke (see the gem below), but i guess as long as it has an open floorplan and granite/stainless, people will trip over themselves to buy it. at least for now.

Why the hell does this seem like a bubble to you? After giving everyone tear-jerker lectures for hours about discrimination and economic segregation, now you are doing the same damn thing. Bronzeville is way better poised to take off than many other places in the city. These are brand new homes selling for $300-$400k. Not condos. That's not that expensive. Friggin 2 bedroom condos are selling for that price on the north side.

We are far from a SFH bubble right now. Lenders are still pretty tight on mortgages, they weren't throwing money at subprime targets like they were 13 years ago.

Slowly but surely, Bronzeville will make more and more sense. It won't be the most exciting place in the world for quite some time, but it will get there. Nothing frothy about this.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:45 AM
The City

^ I'm sitting in the sidelines right now, for sure I'm not as much of a pioneer as some others out there (although I was buying in Pilsen before it became "cool"), but as soon as I see the right indicators I'm gonna up and attack Bronzeville. Gorgeous stone 2,3, even 6 flats just waiting for some hammers, nails, studs, and new plumbing. Throw in some creditworthy tenants and there is serious wealth to be created down there. Some people are already doing this.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
The Bush Temple project turned out beautifully. Right on par with the Three Arts Club reno by Restoration Hardware. Supposed to open Spring 2017.
Are you referring to the exterior, or have you seen interior components too? Are there any interior components that are major public spaces (other than small streetside retail)? For example, Flats's Lawrence House (1020 Lawrence) has a grand atrium that they rehabbed after removing a non-original false ceiling; it's mainly a lounge for residents but has some beverage or food kiosks/bars that effectively make it a public space.

I wonder if the 15 story addition's units will also be micro sized.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I'm sitting in the sidelines right now, for sure I'm not as much of a pioneer as some others out there (although I was buying in Pilsen before it became "cool"), but as soon as I see the right indicators I'm gonna up and attack Bronzeville. Gorgeous stone 2,3, even 6 flats just waiting for some hammers, nails, studs, and new plumbing. Throw in some creditworthy tenants and there is serious wealth to be created down there. Some people are already doing this.
It's been happening for the last five years actually. It's not just a small handful either. Yeah, not as much as a Lakeview, but just as much as areas like Bridgeport. The media just doesn't cover what's going on in Bronzeville for some reason except for that new Marianos nearby and the CityLab article about black gentrifiers from 2012.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:48 PM

it was more a criticism of paying a half mil for a building slapped up with vinyl siding and a Mickey Mouse facade. it just looks cheaply done to me

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's been happening for the last five years actually. It's not just a small handful either. Yeah, not as much as a Lakeview, but just as much as areas like Bridgeport. The media just doesn't cover what's going on in Bronzeville for some reason except for that new Marianos nearby and the CityLab article about black gentrifiers from 2012.
A few years ago, the University of Chicago expanded their forgivable down payment assistance program for employees and it now covers the entire area from the Stevenson south to around 67th Street and the Dan Ryan east to the lake, with the amount of assistance based on distance to campus. Kenwood and Hyde Park are excluded so you are seeing a lot of employees buying in Woodlawn and Grand Boulevard to get the maximum payment. However, I personally know a few of the people that have bought some of those brand new SFHs in Grand Boulevard and they lived in Hyde Park but were not affiliated with the University. They were all renting apartments and had kids, so they all got together and bought houses on the same block. It might be a little daunting to do this on your own, but far less so when your friends come along too.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
it was more a criticism of paying a half mil for a building slapped up with vinyl siding and a Mickey Mouse facade. it just looks cheaply done to me
But what is the alternative? An empty lot? I agree the house sucks, but that is probably the best we can expect for a neighborhood like Bronzeville. Hell, neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, River North, Etc. cant figure out good design, and areas like Northcenter and Roscoe Village have full hardie board homes going for >$1.5, much of the southside doesn't stand a chance.

Also, $500K isn't all that much for a large percentage of people in this city, and if someone is willing to spend that on a home in a neighborhood like Bronzeville, I'd take 2,500 of those shitty houses.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
But what is the alternative? An empty lot? I agree the house sucks, but that is probably the best we can expect for a neighborhood like Bronzeville. Hell, neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, River North, Etc. cant figure out good design, and areas like Northcenter and Roscoe Village have full hardie board homes going for >$1.5, much of the southside doesn't stand a chance.
i dont disagree with any of this. it had a been a while since i walked through some side streets in roscoe village, and i couldnt even tell if i was still in Chicago. i find it concerning whats happening to our built environment and housing stock in general.

as far as the alternative in respect to Bronzeville, personally id rather buy and rehab an older home to my own liking, than one of these slapdash McMansions (which lets be real, given the absurd square footage, build quality, and price thats essentially what they are. these arent any more sustinable in the city than they are in the suburbs and the double standard is sad). obviously something needs to fill these lots and incremental infill is the best way. hopefully we'll at least get some decent variety. i just wish what was being built had a bit more thought put into it. and to that point, while we have a population that can afford 500k homes, lots more cant, or dont want all this wasted space that just exists to be heated and cooled. i wish more developers were addressing this (and not just in the way of insulting "micro apartments", but in actual modest but livable and well constructed homes. the kinds we used to build but seem to have forgotten how). theres demand for this sort of thing and no one is addressing it.

someone mentioned prototype homes that could be stamped down, but thats basically how the bungalow belt was built. you still got some level of customization, and you could make them as fancy or as modest as your own situation dictated, but the basic framework was pre-determined. if some smart developer could come up with a way to do something similar with modern methods that catered to modern tastes and marketed the homes at prices attainable to younger buyers, id think theyd be quite successful.

we had these sorts of homes in the 50s

why is no one building stuff in this size range now? (i mean some clearly are, but not in significant numbers and definitely not in Chicago particularly. and in a way that modern design isnt simply used as a way to justify charging a premium vs traditional design despite no inherent added expense. to me modern means progress, and progress is using knowledge to address unmet needs. $500k, 3500 square foot "single family homes" is neither modern nor progressive)

^
id be all over something like that if it was priced right and i think a lot of other people from my generation would be too. no one wants to be house poor and paying off a mortgage into their 60s. many others cant scrap together huge down payments. home buying is unneedlessly expensive and complicated in this country. you want to rebuild the south side? start thinking smarter and it has the potential to happen a lot sooner than you think. we have the advantage of space in this city, something other places dont. we should be taking full advantage of it.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jan 13, 2017 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 6:43 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
why is no one building stuff in this size range now?
Because people now expect every child to have his own bedroom, to have at least two baths, and to have quite a bit more kitchen appliance and counter room.

It's sobering to read or listen to people talking about their decisions to buy in some far-off exurb. It always includes the phrase "so much more house for the money." The Tiny House is not a widely held dream, especially among those who grew up in modest circumstances.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Because people now expect every child to have his own bedroom, to have at least two baths, and to have quite a bit more kitchen appliance and counter room.

It's sobering to read or listen to people talking about their decisions to buy in some far-off exurb. It always includes the phrase "so much more house for the money." The Tiny House is not a widely held dream, especially among those who grew up in modest circumstances.
I agree with your conclusion. There is no way I'm buying a home to start a family with that does not have 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 6:54 PM

I'm with Via on this one. People expect a stupid amount of space, especially for a big city like Chicago. I know many people who grew up in the city on one floor of a two or three-flats or houses of that size he posted from the 1950s (my girlfriend grew up in one, has four siblings). If I were raising a family in Chicago I'd much rather have one floor of a three-flat in Bucktown than a SFH in Jefferson Park.

I also wish more people in Chicago would start raising families in mid- or high-rises, but that's another discussion I suppose.

Last edited by ithakas; Jan 13, 2017 at 7:09 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development