HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 11:23 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2018 in Ipoh, Malaysia

Ipoh is the capital of Perak state and has a mix of traditional shophouses, British colonial architecture, and great food. While the tin industry collapsed in the 1970s, tourism is thriving here.

Pandan tarts are like egg tarts but are green.

Baked pastries fresh out of the oven are a hot sell!

Sweet tofu is a lovely and healthy dessert. Add bird's nest and it becomes super high class. However, it doesn't cost a fortune to enjoy this add-on.

Traditional Chinese fare is popular here, and at a major discount to prices in Hong Kong.

Across town, this tofu dessert was even cheaper but without fancy toppings.

Bean sprouts chicken is a local delicacy. The mineralized water helps bean sprouts grow fat and delicious.

2 bean sprouts chicken restaurants sit diagonal from each other at the intersection.

Browse around the street market to sample all sorts of lovely food to eat informally in the outdoors.

Meanwhile, there is a lot of colonial architecture in the Old Town for history buffs to explore.

More on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/ipoh.htm

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 5:32 AM

Great pics, Ipoh is where tourists visiting MY should spend more of their time. KL can be skipped all together IMHO. Ipoh, Malacca, and Langkawi. Ipoh isn't far from the Cameron Highlands, basically the only place in MY where a guy with my genes can enjoy being outdoors.

I've been here!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 5:55 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

it all looks delicious, but i am surprized you did not show us the foodie item ipoh is most famous for, the white coffee style. i love the coffee culture in sea countries.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:20 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
it all looks delicious, but i am surprized you did not show us the foodie item ipoh is most famous for, the white coffee style. i love the coffee culture in sea countries.
The story of white coffee begins here in Ipoh. Set in a traditional shop, you can taste the history in the air and in your cup.

Then walk a bit for the next food stop - chicken rice noodle!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 7:00 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ so awesome!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 8:43 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

This is good stuff, thanks!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:24 AM

Theses styles of streetfood in Asian areas should be promoted worldwide.

Fast, very convenient, kind of cheap to reasonable price, so much better than can and frozen food in supermarket and microwaveables.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:25 PM
Hong Kong

Kek Look Tong Temple was first used for worshipping as early as 1920. Once part of an iron mine, which excavated the interiors, it continues as an active Buddhist temple today. While it is located south of the city, plenty of Uber cars are available to take you there and back into the city. From the New Town, expect to pay about 12 ringgit for the trip, a bargain.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 3:38 PM
Hong Kong

Perak Cave Temple is on the other side of town north of the city. It has many murals along the cave walls but the bonus is the long staircase up to the top of the hill for a nice view of Ipoh's surroundings. It is an active worshipping temple and entrance is free.

A narrow staircase that is steep at times winds its way up the cave and to the outside, where it continues for another 20 minutes or so to the viewpoint at the top of the mountain.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 4:01 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

wow now that is my kind of sightseeing site

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos