HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
That's *it*?
9 levels parking...9 levels office space. Man I hate this ratio. At least the exterior will disguise the parking levels, I hope...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 4:30 AM

This "tower" should have been built at the Domain or possible in Round Rock as a starter "skyscraper".

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This "tower" should have been built at the Domain or possible in Round Rock as a starter "skyscraper".
Yeah, I don't really get the purpose. 9 floors of office space... With that much parking. They should have made this one 25 floors minimum. Based on Google Tower and the Austin Music Hall site, the demand was obviously there. I just want an office building that's not a 400 ft cube. I don't care if it's shorter, I just want a point tower design to add some diversity.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 12:17 AM
Austinite

A few shots from yesterday, 8/29.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 10:40 PM
Austinite

Shots from last weekend, 9/6

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 10:44 PM
Austinite

This weekend (9/12)

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 12:15 AM

Great photos!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 5:28 AM
Meh

So it looks like they're about half finished with the last floor, then the mechanical penthouse.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 3:16 AM

From today:

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 12:45 PM

Looks like we're going to get another big ugly blank wall.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 2:28 PM

Here's my view of the construction from my desk in my new office on the 17th floor of the One American Center

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 2:49 PM

At least your view of the W won't be blocked by this project.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 6:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Looks like we're going to get another big ugly blank wall.

Well, without that ugly blank wall, it would be just the epitome of 100% generic. Now it is 100% generic spashed with ugly flourishes. They must be catering to boring, indescript tenants who desire to do nothing but blend into the wallwork.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 2:25 PM

Not every building can be signature. Not all tenants can pay top dollar. This type of infill goes a long way in making CBD more active and livable which will eventually roll into a large signature tower someday on the Post Office block.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscajunguy View Post
Well, without that ugly blank wall, it would be just the epitome of 100% generic. Now it is 100% generic spashed with ugly flourishes. They must be catering to boring, indescript tenants who desire to do nothing but blend into the wallwork.
Blank walls are just an opportunity to get creative. Would love to see a larger mural like the ones below on a building like this.

http://i.imgur.com/0JMAdHM.jpg
http://imgick.nola.com/home/nola-med...fa1080daa2.jpg

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 11:09 PM
World Traveler

^^ Yeah, I'd love to see more massive murals in Austin. We have some truly great small ones, but nothing on that scale that I can think of. Same can happen on the big cooling tank connected to the medical school.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 6:00 PM
Everywhere all at once

I definitely take some issue with the supremely underwhelming height here, but the blank walls are unfortunately a zoning anomaly. As long as there remains the possibility of building on the remaining neighboring lots, if they build to the lot line, it has to be blank. No developer wants to deal with windows they just put in being literally bricked over should another building rise next door. The same issue existed with the Westin, as it does with numerous buildings in New York that I've seen as well.

The Austin city planning department could (if they don't already have such an protocol) potentially provide the option of letting a developer sidestep that if there was a guarantee that the neighboring buildings would stay as they are. However, the only way to really do that is if those other buildings are zoned for no more height or density, or are historic structures or within a CVC, etc. Perhaps it's something they should look into examining...until then *best Oprah voice* YOU GET A MURAL, YOU GET A MURAL, EVERYONE GETS A MURAL!!!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 7:55 PM

So I'm kind of confused about this one. It certainly appears that the 9 levels of parking are being covered by windows, which disguises it, but it seems somewhat unconventional to me. I mean that's strange to park your car on a level that is basically an indoor office floor just without the finishes. Will look pretty interesting from inside I guess, driving your car right up to floor-to-ceiling windows.

Other buildings leave space for air on their parking podiums, and use a unique facade (plated metal on the Bowie, Seven, glass partitions at the Monarch. I can't think of any other building in Austin that is like this. 3rd and Colorado, IBC Bank do a better job of disgusting parking but they still have vented walls and screens, not just all glass...

My other question is in regards to the blank wall. Why wasn't it possible to put windows here as well?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 9:19 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
So I'm kind of confused about this one. It certainly appears that the 9 levels of parking are being covered by windows, which disguises it, but it seems somewhat unconventional to me. I mean that's strange to park your car on a level that is basically an indoor office floor just without the finishes. Will look pretty interesting from inside I guess, driving your car right up to floor-to-ceiling windows.

Other buildings leave space for air on their parking podiums, and use a unique facade (plated metal on the Bowie, Seven, glass partitions at the Monarch. I can't think of any other building in Austin that is like this. 3rd and Colorado, IBC Bank do a better job of disgusting parking but they still have vented walls and screens, not just all glass...

My other question is in regards to the blank wall. Why wasn't it possible to put windows here as well?
The parking levels will of course have forced ventilation. This building won't be completely unique in that regard. The Colorado Tower has a glass facade over the parking levels, and so does the Bank of America Center. And there are others. The Frost Bank Tower's podium on the east side is parking, and it's enclosed. There's also the Co-Op Garage in West Campus that is a completely enclosed (concrete with glass windows). It also uses forced air ventilation.

My guess is the blank wall side is where the stair/elevator wells are and the ventilation system is.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 1:54 AM

10/18

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin