HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 3:02 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

1st choice is moving Watkins Glen into the Chase. They didn't say how close COTA was in votes. But the voters are people who would be directly affected by the issues you point out, which are legit.

The public poll on that site had COTA tied for first place.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 5:01 AM

In that case, my #7 concern would be, they already have 2 NASCAR proven road courses to choose from if they decide to add a road course to the Chase, which I'm in favor of. I like Senoma over WG though. They wouldn't need to add a race or lose one, just move one.
NASCAR occasionally feels like its getting stagnant and talks about adding new tracks and new regions to the schedule. Owners don't want to add any races due to the expense, and most drivers are ready for the season to end due to fatigue and excessive time on the road, away from family. COTA, by virtue of its reputation as a world class facility, will always get honorary consideration, but this track is not conducive to NASCAR racing. It's designed to truly test the performance of F1 cars, and the skill of the drivers and from what I can tell, left no consideration for competitive Cup car racing. It would be a yellow flag laced demolition derby, not good racing. What could work perhaps would be heat racing, 22 and 21 car heats, or just run the race with only the teams that are in the Chase. Or more logically, run at WG or Senoma and not COTA.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 5:20 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

One of the comments said replace a Kansas race with COTA.

I'd love to see the breakdown of who voted for COTA. Was it mostly media? Or was it owners, drivers, crew chiefs, etc?

BTW, who are your favorite drivers?

I'm a Kurt Busch fan. Also like Carl Edwards.

And Danica...for obvious reasons.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
One of the comments said replace a Kansas race with COTA.

I'd love to see the breakdown of who voted for COTA. Was it mostly media? Or was it owners, drivers, crew chiefs, etc?

BTW, who are your favorite drivers?

I'm a Kurt Busch fan. Also like Carl Edwards.

And Danica...for obvious reasons.
Past...Mark Martin, both Labontes, Dale Sr, and Rusty
Present...Smoke, Dale Jr, J.J.,and Danica...for obvious reasons...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
That would be a great idea if they did it. I'm not a fan of oval races but I'd go see a NASCAR road course race at COTA. I'm actually suprised they haven't jumped on the idea sooner.

Fact is other than F1 and to a lesser extent MotoGP, COTA doesn't have any big races. What I mean by that is attendence wise they aren't big races. It's a great track and has plenty of room for people to go watch. COTA could easily handle double the current 120K cap although I think it's a good idea to keep it at 120K until we get the necessary road infrastructure in place to be able to handle 200K+ people. We can barely handle 120K and only the first Grand Prix was close to that at 117K on race day. Having both a NASCAR road course and INDY at COTA would go a long way.

By the way I'm excited about how they have planned this year's F1 weekend. Having an international superstar legend such as Elton John is exactly what we needed. This is afterall an international race. It seems to me that the organizers have finally gotten their act together and they have tied it in with other events as well.

When they say new festival lawn on the north end zone of the track they are referring to that large space where the hairpin is located correct?

Have they been working to create another music venue to fit larger crowds or is this a recent addition in response to bringing Elton John? What is it's capacity? It would have to be at a minimum of 50-60K and since the concert is included with the race tickets then essentially up to 120K people would want to see Elton perform.

Just curious because I haven't found anything else online about this new festival lawn other than its new.
The X Games I was told had a concert area near turn 11 in the open grass that had nothing. They used the 360 for events instead. So I would think that's what they are talking about. That grass has a nice slop to is for concerts.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 2:27 PM

There are rumors about a big announcement for COTA. Their Facebook page hints at an announcement later today. Indy? NASCAR? Bankruptcy filing?

https://www.facebook.com/CircuitofTheAmericas

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 2:35 PM

This seems to be a clue that they posted on both their Facebook and Twitter accounts:

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 6:03 PM

It was just the Fan Fest lineup.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 8:31 PM

Public Enemy playing a free show on Rainey Street should be interesting.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 9:36 PM

Rainey St. will be a cluster that weekend.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 12:19 AM
Honored Member

ERMAHGERD I'm so dragging my 60 yr old arse down to Rainey to watch my fellow baby-boomer Chuck D fight the power! No, seriously, I freaking LOVE Public Enemy! But I'll keep a low profile so as not to embarrass the band. They've played some free SXSW shows as well, so the Austin street festival scene is old school for them.

But that was kinda ill for COTA to tease with a big announcement that turns out just to be a lineup for an event we already knew about. I'm still holding out hope that we're going to host the world's first high-speed power pogo stick races, or a giraffe marathon, something interesting like that. Keep Austin, uhhh, whatever it's supposed to be.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 2:06 PM

It's official. There will be an American F1 team racing in 2016.

https://www.haasf1team.com/news/haas...rosjean-driver

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
It's official. There will be an American F1 team racing in 2016.

https://www.haasf1team.com/news/haas...rosjean-driver
There's also now the first American driver in F1 since 2007 racing for Manor now. He'll race at COTA.

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/201...-two-f1-races/

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 9:44 AM

Important USGP Shuttle Info:

Just FYI, in case you plan to use the shuttle service from the Convention Center to COTA, it's two-tiered this year: $10 per person for standard service, $25 per person for 'Express' service.

The "Express' bus drops you off by the Grand Plaza. The 'Standard' bus drops you off out in the boonies, a 30+ minute walk away from the Grand Plaza entrance (about twice as far as the long walk to Lot F). God help you if you take the Standard bus and your seats are anywhere but T12 or 15. You're looking at a very long walk.

****Here's the important bit, though...if you want the $10 'Standard' service, tickets are available only via online pre-order, and only through this Sunday, 18 October. After that your only shuttle option will be the $25 'Express' bus. Tickets for the Express bus will be available online and at the Convention Center on the days of the event.****

IIRC, last year the $10 tickets were available throughout the weekend at the Convention Center. Not so this year. If you want Shuttle service this year and you wait beyond the 18th to purchase it, you'll be left with no choice but to buy the more expensive $25 per person Express option.

Vance has written up a nice piece covering all the shuttle and parking options for this year's USGP, with links to various COTA pages on the topic.
http://racingtexas.blogspot.com/2015...2015-usgp.html

If you opt for the $10 Standard shuttle, you'll be dropped off at the McAngus Road shuttle lot (the unmarked gray shape in the top left corner of this map).

http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/...arking_map.jpg

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 5:50 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1 View Post
The "Express' bus drops you off by the Grand Plaza. The 'Standard' bus drops you off out in the boonies, a 30+ minute walk away from the Grand Plaza entrance (about twice as far as the long walk to Lot F). God help you if you take the Standard bus and your seats are anywhere but T12 or 15. You're looking at a very long walk.
Another way to frame this is that tickets for both buses cost $25, but the Standard bus pays you $15 per hour ($7.50 x 2 30-minute walks) to get some exercise and fresh air. That sounds like a pretty sweet deal, as long as it's not raining.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 3:33 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I hate to say if but this years Fanfest seems half assed in the sense that it's mostly in that empty lot and along Rainey Street. I don't even think they will have many displays or other things they have had the years before. Granted the weather situation will likely hamper attendance to Fanfest this year but I doubt it's because they knew it was going to be mostly wet.

My question is did the city change their stance on having Fanfest in the Warehouse District? IMO it's the best area to do it. Knowing the mentality of the council I wouldn't be suprised.

Just looking at pictures of the stage area today makes it seem like it's more of an afterthought. That lot is going to be a muddy mess once we get several inches.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I hate to say if but this years Fanfest seems half assed in the sense that it's mostly in that empty lot and along Rainey Street. I don't even think they will have many displays or other things they have had the years before. Granted the weather situation will likely hamper attendance to Fanfest this year but I doubt it's because they knew it was going to be mostly wet.

My question is did the city change their stance on having Fanfest in the Warehouse District? IMO it's the best area to do it. Knowing the mentality of the council I wouldn't be suprised.

Just looking at pictures of the stage area today makes it seem like it's more of an afterthought. That lot is going to be a muddy mess once we get several inches.
The Statesman had an article today about the scaled back F1 activities this year. It seems the competition from the new Mexico City race is the main reason.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 1:44 PM

Thursday night at Fan Fest from COTA's Facebook page:

I wonder what's going on here?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Thursday night at Fan Fest from COTA's Facebook page:
Millennium Rainey in the background there.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 10:03 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
The Statesman had an article today about the scaled back F1 activities this year. It seems the competition from the new Mexico City race is the main reason.

I knew once Mexico City got a race it would really, really hurt COTA - especially when said race takes place either the weekend immediately before or after the USGP. In this case, it is next weekend.

Jason Dial and his team really have an uphill battle to sell the USGP to spectators. I'd love for it to become popular enough that they can sustain an annual draw 115,000 to 120,000 people for the Grand Prix.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin