HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 11:58 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Had lunch at Clive Burger today. Was BLOWN AWAY. To my taste, this was perhaps the best burger I've ever had. I prefer a thin flat-top burger (if anybody here has ever had the butter burger from Culver's in the states, that's the style I mean) and this place delivers, delicious meat, but the toppings are also fantastic with the best pickle I've had on a burger since Harvey's fucked theirs up, fresh jalapeno, this unctuous "clive sauce", REAL cheddar, and the single best burger bun I've ever wrapped my face around. The fries are twice-cooked and as good as Alley Burger and that's saying a lot. The burger is absolutely better than Alley Burger- to my taste.

I am beyond thrilled. Prices are higher than McD's but for this quality the food is worth much more. Single burger, huge order of fries and a bottle of water were about $13.
Can't wait to try it! right nearby my place

Certainly a big step up from Wok Box.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 5:58 AM

Gonna see if we can try Clive Burger tomorrow. Heard it was a gong show today.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 6:16 PM
not a NIMBY

JAROblue is closing.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 7:48 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
JAROblue is closing.
I only went there once, but it was a great place to take a date! cool atmosphere, great food. I'm sorry to hear this news.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 8:54 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
JAROblue is closing.
No! Are you sure about this?

I can't say we've been regulars but it would be sad to see it go.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 9:00 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
No! Are you sure about this?

I can't say we've been regulars but it would be sad to see it go.
They tweeted today that their last day of business is May 19. All their wines are half priced from 7-9 pm tonight.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 9:38 PM

Re: Clive Burger

walked by it a few times and have wanted to go for some time. This will definately make me want to go now!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 9:40 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
They tweeted today that their last day of business is May 19. All their wines are half priced from 7-9 pm tonight.
Well, damn.

I guess the bright side would be that something even better opens in that space. In the four or so years they've been open I'd say they've proven that a resto can succeed in a space that had seen a few failures.

It would be great to see Malaysian or even just one real Thai (as opposed to Viet/Thai) place open on 17th.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 3:22 AM

Had Clive Burger today after our visit to the comic expo. Pretty good, didn't blow me away but its one of the better burger places out there now. About $13 for a cheeseburger, fries, and a pop. Patty was a bit small but it was thick, like hand made. The bun was very fresh. Fries are cooked in peanut oil, gives them a distinct taste.

Will be trying smash burger on Tuesday (friends and family), looking forward to it, we will see how it compares. Opens Wednesday to public. Deep fried pickles and smash fries sound so good.. yum. The fact that its a block away from work is a bit worrying to my waistline.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 2:47 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Will be trying smash burger on Tuesday (friends and family), looking forward to it, we will see how it compares. Opens Wednesday to public. Deep fried pickles and smash fries sound so good.. yum. The fact that its a block away from work is a bit worrying to my waistline.
Is this the NE location that will be open Wednesday? If so I'll have to try it out!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 3:24 PM
not a NIMBY

A new place called Avec opening soon at 550 11 Ave SW which has been home to numerous restaurant/bar failures. A contemporary French bistro. I can't access their website avecbistro.com.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 3:45 PM
Here and There

Red Wagon food truck. Opened 6 days ago. Great stuff. Mostly smoked meat sandwiches but they also have this skillet dish that is goddam amazing. Had it on Saturday morning.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 4:23 PM

Went to Borgo for the first time last Saturday, sadly I was extremely unimpressed. There was only two of us so they asked if we would like to sit at the bar, this was actually a small area behind a pillar and their espresso machine that could barely fit the two of us especially cause there was a small child beside us with his stuff sprawled across the counter for his colouring. Wasn't a huge deal at first cause I asked if we could be moved once another spot opened up. So they moved us to a really tight "communal" table which we sat with two other couples, pretty awkward setup since everyone was really crammed together and you could hear everyone's conversation. Besides that, the food we had was decent but too rich in taste, it actually made us feel physically sick after eating it. I hate to rag on the place but I had heard good things prior to going and was pretty disappointed. However, I will say, the thing I did like about the place was the sharing of dishes idea. I felt like it was a good way to interact with the person(s) you're dining with.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 4:38 PM
not a NIMBY

I love Borgo. Sorry to hear your experience wasn't good. I was there for lunch last week and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Loungeburger says on twitter they are now in a partnership with Vintage Group which owns Vintage Chophouse, Redwater, Rush, Stonehill Tavern, Booker's, and Rise Bakery & Cafe.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 6:29 PM

Does anybody know what sort of peanut oil Clive burger uses?

I'm heading there today to try it out but I'm allergic to peanuts. As long as it's highly refined peanut oil and not cold pressed or some other "gourmet" peanut oil I'll be fine.

I'm getting tired of this peanut oil fad though....

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 7:41 PM

delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
Second that. My fiance is lethally allergic to peanuts as well and we noticed peanut oil on the Clive menu. Went to try Five Guys (who uses peanut oil too) some time ago and wasn't impressed with the wall of bags of peanuts and peanut shells all over the floor just inside the door. Had to make a quick exit.
Well I just got back from Clive's and I'm still alive!

I called them on the way there and the owner was nice enough to call the supplier of peanut oil.

It is indeed heavy refined frying oil. I had no allergic reaction whatsoever and you can't taste or even smell any peanut anywhere.

The food was delicious!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
Well I just got back from Clive's and I'm still alive!

I called them on the way there and the owner was nice enough to call the supplier of peanut oil.

It is indeed heavy refined frying oil. I had no allergic reaction whatsoever and you can't taste or even smell any peanut anywhere.

The food was delicious!
I was at Five Guys awhile ago and I didn't notice anything special about their peanut fried fries. If you can't taste anything different, why is everyone using peanut oil these days? It seems like it's just the trendy thing to do in these fancy burger restaurants.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 10:22 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbert View Post
I was at Five Guys awhile ago and I didn't notice anything special about their peanut fried fries. If you can't taste anything different, why is everyone using peanut oil these days? It seems like it's just the trendy thing to do in these fancy burger restaurants.
Peanut oil has a higher smoke point which means crispier crunchier deep fried product. I use it for popcorn.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 11:10 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbert View Post
If you can't taste anything different, why is everyone using peanut oil these days? It seems like it's just the trendy thing to do in these fancy burger restaurants.
Yeah, trendy in China for the last 1000 years.

It's used because it makes fried things taste better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation